Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (nauti4life)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-15-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
Just wanting to know how many of you use a back yard tech. to service your boat?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-15-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
I do all my service myself.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-15-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
Do it yourself, paying someone else to winterize your boat is ridiculous. DIY FTW
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-15-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
Myself. In my book it's part of the fun in owning a boat.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-15-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Its so easy its stupid not to.

some places if they do it they keep parts so you have to have them Un-winterize and they hit you up again for $$$
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-15-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
"Its so easy its stupid not to."

I couldn't agree more

DIY Winterization = Cake
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-15-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
around here (NW Arkansas) the shops charge between $150 and $250 to winterize imo it's a waste of money to let someone else do it
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-15-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
I have so little ability as a mechanic and it's still super easy it's really pretty brainless.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-16-2008, 6:21 AM Reply   
Moe i do it myself also. Bought an official shop manual off clymers.com so i had all the correct info...

if you can read and turn a wrench you can do it yourself.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-16-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
I let the Dealer do it all. It might be "brainless", but it gives me piece of mind. I change boats every year and it gives the next buyer piece of mind also. I don't want any problems with (shower, ballast, heater, block).
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-16-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
Sorry for the quick jack, but Mike, what type of medical equipment do you deal with - are you in Spine or something close?
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-16-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
No, I handle a device for Hand Assist Laparoscopy. Advanced cancer cases of the colon, kidney, and liver. Also some transplant. We also do a lot of education for Docs.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-16-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
Has anyone gotten the Clymer's manual for the Indmar GM V-8 Inboards, 1983-2003? If so, is it any good? I've got the 335 HP Monsoon engine.

http://www.clymer.com/Book.aspx?bid=888&title=Indmar+GM+V-8+Inboards%2c+1983-2003
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-16-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
Gerald, I have that book.

It is pretty good. Shows you all the basics and usually has a few different pictures to demonstrate the various engines...

will help point out the basics, that if you are new to this stuff might be helpful.

shows what they looks like, and where to find:
the engine drain plugs.
the transmission cooler looks like.
the exhaust manifold connect hoses
the impeller...

i basically bought the book b/c i wanted to have a diagram or layout of where things are in the engine. not being familiar with the engine i wasn't sure where to find things, and there is so little space in a v-drive i had a hard time sticking my head down there to look around.

i've found the book to be a great reference. and even though it says its up through 2003 only, I've found that the pictures match my 2007 Indmar LCR motors setup.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-16-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
there is a guy on here named Bill_K that put together a really nice PDF that shows the basics of winterizing, i would advise downloading that too.

Here is the link...i found it at themalibucrew.com

http://www.4shared.com/file/62646929/42836173/Malibu_Monsoon_Boat_winterize.html
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-16-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
all 3 boats myself...very easy...
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-16-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
I've always done my own but with a job change i just don't have time this year so i'm having the dealer do it. $210 includes changing all fluids and winterizing, not to bad imo.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-16-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
Thanks for the credit TJ..... I didn't actually create that .pdf file. Just put it up on that shared server so we could post a link to it & share it with people easier.

Glad your sharin the wealth!

Like everyone has said, do it a couple times & it's a very easy process.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-16-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
Once you get the hang of it, I think it is better as a DIY project. I have had mechanics do it in the past, only to find hard to reach hoses not adequately tightened. Most mechanics do not care as much about your boat as you do.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-16-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
I had the dealer do it the first year...they said they could do it two ways. one way i had to bring it back to "summerize" it. I asked whats that mean? Well....we leave the belt off and plugs out. I said so your gonna charge me $100 bucks to put my f-ing belt back on??? Get lost. I pulled out my owners manual and what do you know. Step by step instructions. I have been winterizing myself since then. And couldnt agree more with ATTHELAKE nobody is more careful than yourself. If it breaks down they dont have to tow it in.
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-18-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MCM001
these make it that much easier
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-19-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
Do it myself.
Materials:
5 Quarts Oil
Fuel Stabilizer
Oil Filter
2 gal antifreeze
Total Cost: about $30 and 1 hour labor in driveway.

I agree with AtTheLake-nobody is more careful than yourself. Many shops are have part time help during winterization season and you might end up with a 16 year old kid working on your boat. The dealer will not take responsibility if something is wrong in the spring-I know of many horror stories.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       10-19-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
Anyone give a 1st time owner some help on winterizing his 01 Mastercraft X-Star??? I don't want to take it to a dealer, I'd rather do it myself.

I don't have a clue what I'm suppose to do, but I'm pretty handy with a pair of vice-grips, if that's what you call them.
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-19-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
A reputable dealer carries insurance that buys you a new engine if the technician (or that 16 year old kid) screws up and your's freezes. Don't forget the heater core and shower if you have one, and to get all of the water out of the bilge as an ice cube there can wreck the pump. Ballast pumps freeze too. RV antifreeze in those and some in each tank/bag is a good idea. Check the transmission cooler to make sure no debris is clogging it if there is no freshwater strainer before it.

When changing the oil do not tug too hard on the drain hose. If you do so and turn the L-shaped fitting on the bottom of the pan your fresh new oil might be in the bilge by spring (and not in the engine if you neglect to check before launching).

On older boats make sure the water drains from the block as sand can get into the engine or rust and block the holes. Those skidim valves will not work for long on older motors where there is more rust inside.

Check the drive coupling to make sure the bolts are tight while you are in the engine area and make sure the auto-bilge is working too.

Rarely does anyone ever wear out a boat engine. In colder places the usually freeze instead from not being winterized correctly (or at all).

Hope this is helpful.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-19-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
some dealers drain the oil n don't put any back in. they also take the batteries out so you have to take it bakc to them to have the oil and batteries put back in. at our dealership we don't do that. we just do it all at once so all you have to do is put the negative cable and the hull drain plug in and its ready to go. our customers like it when we don't waist their money hahahaha.
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-20-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
Blake, do you have the owners manuel, you can follow the instructions. its very easy, especially if you can turn a wrench. Take a look at it. email me if you have questions, or go to mastercraft website.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       10-20-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
Brad,
I don't have the owners manual, but I'll definitely look at the Mastercraft website... Thanks!
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-21-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
IF you email me Ill try and break it down for you.
once you do it yourself you'll wonder why you paid somebody.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       10-29-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
I get help from a friend to do it in the yard/lift
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
i'm a mechaninc at my parents shop and don't see when people pay us to do a lot of things. ooooo well. more money for me hahahaha.