Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (pcuezze)      Join Date: Aug 2014       05-31-2016, 9:02 PM Reply   
Very frustrated. I tried for the better half of last season and never succeeded. This year, I've gotten very consistent at rotating and just washing out of the back. Tonight, I probably did 7-10 in a row like the video below and never landed one. I feel like I'm not putting enough weight on my front foot when I come all the way around??

(pardon the nose plugs, I'm having a big problem with water up my nose and infections)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting pretty frustrated.

https://youtu.be/sQ9zHwvyZ2s
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-01-2016, 6:43 AM Reply   
Lol.
Old     (nohlan_4)      Join Date: Feb 2016       06-01-2016, 7:34 AM Reply   
Move weight to your front foot sooner. Your pivoting on your back leg just fine but your keeping your weight planted there. That's what slows you down and washes you out the back so quickly. Other than that it looks like your super close!
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-01-2016, 11:51 AM Reply   
Sigh. Welcome to the last 5 years of my life.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-01-2016, 5:21 PM Reply   
When you get to 270*, grab the wake with your right hand and push yourself toward the boat. This stops your rotation and gets your weight forward.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-01-2016, 6:02 PM Reply   
I like the doggy paddle at the end.... Well, what Mitch says might help. You have the rotation OK, but you have no forward momentum.
As soon as you are back around you need to be pumping back into the wake, or start with more forward momentum. The sit/stall and spin is OK for a skim board, but it does not work as well with a surf style board. If you are using the stock fins on that board, you may look for fins that give you more drive and control.

Nick
Old     (pcuezze)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-02-2016, 4:56 PM Reply   
Thanks. I'm gonna get back at it tomorrow. Nick - regarding fins, what do you recommend? Frankly, I've never given much thought to fins other than the depth and quantity. Apparently, after I googled it, fins do a LOT more.

Next, Nick - I've always had my eye on that Carbon Sixer. I have a bit more experience now and know what I like. This Ronix Carbon Thruster is my go-to board. I like it because it is faster (meaning it races toward and away from the boat) and more responsive (meaning when I put weight forward or back) there is almost no delay. It is very hard to bury the nose and I seldom pearl the heel edge. I run with 2 small stock fins in the forward slots.

I also ride a Doomswell Neo Hybrid which is my 2nd favorite board (it's my brother in laws). Though it feels much bigger, it seems to want to air out easier. I'm not happy with the stock fin configuration on that board at all.

I own an LF Doum Skim which is fun to try shuvits on and play around with but it's not really my thing.

I've ridden both Rusty boards and was very disappointed with how slow they felt compared to my Ronix. I've also ridden a few Phase 5's but can't remember which ones.

So, my question - what board in your lineup is most likely to appeal to me. More than anything, I really like how fast the Ronix is to react to my inputs.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-02-2016, 8:21 PM Reply   
Hey Patrick, so the stock fins that come with the Ronix board are symmetrical, and in fact they really are center fins, not rail fins. A small, fcs/two tab style PC2 or PC3 or even a PC5 fin will be much more responsive and give you a lot more drive. I say PCs as these are performance core from FCS, but you could get similarly sized versions in more economical plastic (glass flex) style fcs fin or two tab from numerous other manufactures.

I am not sure how old the Neo is, but it is a surf style board and yes it is going to be more apt to air out. That is what is designed for. Boards in my line up that are very similar to the Neo are the Contender and Pocket Rocket.

Based on what you like, I would say you would feel most at home with a Ringer, Sixer, or RacerX.

Nick
Old     (nashvegas)      Join Date: Aug 2015       06-10-2016, 3:31 PM Reply   
First thought I had was fins as well. I had issues with landing my first 360 until I went with a phase 5 trident. It's a fast board and once you finish your rotation you can set your fins and carve back into the wake and regain your momentum.

Another tip is to start back as far as you can on the wave, accelerate forward as fast as you can. Just before you get near the swim platform do your rotation. This should help you get back into the wave, just make sure not to hit the boat.

I'm 270 BTW so if a big guy like me can do it, you can to, nose plugs or not.

Last edited by nashvegas; 06-10-2016 at 3:35 PM.