Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       06-08-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
I have about 15 gallons of mixed fuel for my stand up ski that has been sitting in its canisters in the garage since september of last year. Does this degrade or break down? Should I just get rid of it all or would it still be good?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-08-2011, 4:42 PM Reply   
Fuel does break down in as little as 3-6 months depending on the blend. You'll notice older fuel doesn't evaporate and "mist" so well as fresh fuel. I wouldn't sweat anything under a year old though. Mix if 50/50 with fresh just to rule out any chance of hard starting.

I ran my Galaxie for a brief time on 3 year old gas after getting it going after it sat in the garage for a few years. The fuel didn't atomize well but witha little squirt of fresh gas in the carb it fired up and ran fine on the old fuel. Another time I had 20 gallons of gas from 1991 to get rid of. I just mixed a few gallons in each fillup in my truck and noticed no difference, though playing with it on the ground it would take a few seconds of holding a lighter to it before it would flash. I had no way to get rid of that quantity without paying for disposal, so no problem dilluting and burning in the truck.

Anyhow, for less than a year old, just mix it up with freshh and don't sweat it. I doubt if you'd have any trouble running it straight but mix to be sure.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       06-09-2011, 6:36 AM Reply   
Thanks man, I appreciate it.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-09-2011, 6:55 AM Reply   
That's a great question. Was there any stabilizer in the fuel and was it a 10% ethanol?
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       06-09-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
No stabilizer, it may have had ethanol, not 100% sure. It fired right up last night after charging the battery. Sounded good so I'm going to go with it.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-10-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
I had 6mo old 87 in my boat and it ran a little rough, mixed it with new and we were good to go. No sta-bil added to original fuel.