Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    SamIngram            03-03-2011, 8:36 AM Reply   
I just bought a used bike. I have been trying to find something decent for a while now. I ended up buying a 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29'er that is currently configured as a single speed. He gave me all the parts to convert it back except the REAR DERAILLEUR.

How did I do, I paid $600?

Stumpjumper Marathon 29

Which rear REAR DERAILLEUR should I get to convert it back? The stock part was a SRAM X-0, 9-speed, mid cage and runs about $150, at least that is what I can find it for online.

Any other input would be appreciated. I haven't had a bike for probably 10 years...
Attached Images

Old     (fuzzyman)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-03-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
Hey sam,

I think you did alright I work at a bicycle shop in Ohio and am a big fan of the specialized Stumpjumpers. As for deraillurs you can put whatever fits your budget just make sure its for nine speed. If you wanted to go with Shimano I would recommend anything Deore or higher if you stick with SRAM I would stay with the x9 Both. personally I love single speed and would keep that way, but overall ii think you have a great bike!

Have fun

Bryan
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-03-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
I know for SRAM road stuff, you need to match SRAM shifters with their rear derailures. Shimano will work but requires lots of fussing. Not sure if this is true with MTB though. I'd just toss a SRAM RD on there, it's quality stuff. You'll likely need cable, housing and ends too. RD's come with instructions on how to set them up. Just walk thru the instructions and it's pretty easy. Plus you'll know more about how the RD works for when you tag it on something and need to align back into place mid ride.

Last edited by magic; 03-03-2011 at 9:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-03-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
Good buy! I sold my hardtailed stumpy for a camber and want to go back. Solid bike, but like Bryan said I'd stick with x9 or x0.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-03-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
If you have sram shifters you need a sram derailleur.
Old    SamIngram            03-03-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
The single speed is fun, but I rode it to work this morning and I need a higher gear! My commute is only 3.3 miles so I am ditching the car and riding the bike. If I could find a decent gear I might stick to single speed. He did give me another gear, maybe I'll try that.

To switch it back he gave me all the original stuff except the RD. I have the cables and housings, which are all in good shape. This is the first bike I have seen with hydraulic brakes! They are pretty touchy! The 29" tires are really, really strange to me. I am in what feels like an unusual riding position. I can ride up and down the stairs on my commute though.

The shifters are SRAM X-0.

Last edited by SamIngram; 03-03-2011 at 9:22 AM.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-03-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
Never understood the single speed....

Assuming the bike is in very good condition, IMO you stole the bike....even having to get a RD and paying for the conversion..........
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-03-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce View Post

Assuming the bike is in very good condition, IMO you stole the bike....even having to get a RD and paying for the conversion..........
I used to race Cyclocross single speed. It's a blast and requires a different rhythm than riding with gears. I find it fun to change things up once and while.
Old    SamIngram            03-03-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce View Post

Great news - thanks! I generally research my purchases to a crazy level, but I just fired away and went and bought this time...

It is in perfect condition, note even a scratch on it.

The guy who I bought it from had a garage full of bikes. He had just bought an Ibis Mojo and said he didn't ride the stumpy any more. His new bike even had some fangled auto seat post. You pushed a lever on the bars and the seat went down. Push it again and the seat pops up... crazy.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-03-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
Get the SRAM RD and don't look back. Singles are cool, but not as much utility there.

I picked up a 29'er last year and love it. Smooth and fast, if not a bit heavy.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-03-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
Sam:
You stole it. I am interested if you want to flip it for something else. I would put the gears/derailur back on it.
Rick
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-03-2011, 3:16 PM Reply   
If it's flatish where you ride, SS can be a lot of fun. You become a lot more attuned to conserving (and preserving) momentum on a ss. Alas in my hilly neck of the woods it's murder on my knees.
Old    SamIngram            03-03-2011, 3:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastmaster View Post
Sam:
You stole it. I am interested if you want to flip it for something else. I would put the gears/derailur back on it.
Rick
I think you are right! Someone from the office up stairs offered me $1,000 for it. I am thinking about selling it already. I want to try it with speeds first. I just ordered an SRAM X.O
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-04-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
Nice bike and good buy, but I would leave it a single speed also.
I have both, and choose to ride the single speed 80% or more of the time
Old    SamIngram            03-04-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
The single speed is ok, however the gear that is currently on it is just to low. I am currently using it for commuting to work and I have to pedal my butt off to go anywhere. I think I have the 18T gear and am switching to a 12T tonight. I'll probably buy a 14T and try that one too.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-04-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
I guess that's really the deal. Around here it's super hilly. You couldn't go anywhere with a single. A lot of our climbs I'm in my smallest gears going up and biggest gear coming down. You'd have to coast downhills instead of cranking them out. That'd kill your drive for the next climb. I could see a single for a around town cruiser, but for real mountain biking?
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-04-2011, 5:17 PM Reply   
Nothing more rewarding than cranking past a guy half your age who's in granny gear spinning away sweating on a steep climb, and he looks down and sees you have only one gear!!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-05-2011, 8:02 AM Reply   
Ha, I'm not saying it's impossible, but I've got a 4000ft mountain in my back yard that I'd like to see someone on a single climb. Even if you geared it to make it up the climb you'd get left on the descent. The ridge is like a roller coaster. Up, Up, Up, down, Up, down, Up. You have to carry the momentum into the next climb and get a run in some spots just to make it up. Singles are cool, but I don't think you're going to see them taking over the mountain bike racing scene anytime soon. The versitility just isn't there. Cool for around town and on rolling trails. Pretty much standard equipment for the kids around here.
Old    SamIngram            03-05-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
I'm trying to find a gear that I like. Does anyone know how to get the hub or whatever it is called a part? I can't figure it out. There are no screws, bolts, etc.. holding it together. It looks like it's press fit or something. Any help would be appreciated!
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-05-2011, 2:58 PM Reply   
That hub is called a freewheel.
There is a special remover tool that seats in the indents on it, and then you put a large wrench on remover to loosen the hub.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-05-2011, 3:58 PM Reply   
Just keep it Single Speed!! its less maintenance, less to go wrong, more technical to ride, and will make you a way better rider. I love SS and wouldnt even consider riding something geared....unless it was a DH bike

I just got my new VooDoo Bokor and it is SS, and my Scott Voltage (DJ bike) is SS.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-06-2011, 7:03 AM Reply   
The stump jumper is a icon in the specialized line-up.. you'll love it.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-06-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
Never understood the single speed. Dont think it would work where I ride. Will say with everyone raving about how fun they are i do wonder...
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-06-2011, 9:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendo247 View Post
Never understood the single speed. Dont think it would work where I ride. Will say with everyone raving about how fun they are i do wonder...
you would be surprised how versatile they are, i can ride mine up some pretty intense stuff. Of course having a granny gear would really make it easier and i would be able to ride up even more, but theres something to be said about riding a SS and passing geared riders up hill. Its just extremely technical, standing up and crawling up rocky trails takes a lot more balance and makes you a much better rider.

In my area lots of people race them, including my old man. The faster guys Ive seen on the trails are all riding SS as well.
Just make sure your not confusing a SS with a fixie....fixies are a fad and are pretty lame.
Ill go take some pics of my 2 bikes
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-06-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
if any of you guys havent ridden a ss, i would definitely recommend trying it out!!
heres mine
VooDoo Bokor, avid juicy 5, mavic cross ride, ritchey post, tora rockshox fork, xtr hollow tech.

Scott Voltage .1 stock for now.
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-08-2011, 2:57 PM Reply   
Try running a 34:12 gear combo, you'll like it alot more. I just built a Hardrock with 34:14 and it gets me up the rolling paved terrain of the Tri-Valley just fine and I don't spin out unless I'm really pedaling hard. I'll post up a pic later.
Like Evan says, I doubt any MB's are really running up the single tracks or the 4,000 ft'er on a SS......