Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (the_bum)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-26-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
So I have a crazy idea and I figured this would be the place to turn to for help.
Well my 21st birthday is in March and I'm thinking what a better way to bring it in than with a double up contest?
My problem is I have never planned any tournaments so I'm needing some advice on how to go about getting the ball rolling.
Any ideas or tips yall can help me out with would be amazing!
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-26-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
You may want to check with your state associations. Often times they can offer you a sanctioned event as long as all participants are members of that association. A sanctioned event will allow you to use that associations insurance. It is possible to get private insurance as well.

You'll also want to contact your local dealers and shops to start bringing in sponsorship in the form of money, prizes, equipment, otherwise.

You'll need options for judging, will it be a riders judged event? Will you bring in certified judges?

Will this be a large enough even to warrant bringing in outside medical or security? Will it be small enough that designated volunteers with up to date first aid and cpr can cover it?

Where is your venue? Do you need any state permits or local permissions? Are people coming in from out of town? Do they have accommodations available? Camping? Hotels? Will a host city/town join in the sponsorship bid if the event is big enough to bring in tourism and spending?

Do you need an announcer? Other activities? Vendor space?

You can do this as small as you want or as big as you want. I've given you ideas to think about from the small to the big. I've been involved in wakeboard tournaments and events from 10-50 people (the norm) and to an extent 150-200 people.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-27-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
1. Get sponsors to put up prize money.

2. Call the riders and tell them you have prize money.

3. Tell the wake community that you have riders coming to hit double ups.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       10-27-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
My only recommendation is that you get started now. This is the time of year that most of the companies are putting their budgets together for the year. The earlier you get your name in the hat, the more help you may be able to get from your sponsors. I would also put together some kind of contract so there is no confusion between you and your sponsors on the expectations of the event.

Other than that, J-Rod and Jeff pretty much hit everything else. Good luck!