Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-21-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
While sitting out the midday heat with some frosty one, we noticed there were a lot of boats showing up with their boards already in the racks. I have never pulled my boat with boards in the rack and don't really think that's a good idea. My buddy had his in the back of his truck last year and it caught air and flew out and went through another cars windshield. Luckily no one was in it but if there had been they probably would of been killed.

Just was curious about other boarders opinions on this.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
Couldn't agree more. I see people with all of the racks full and the rope still around the tower. I just can't understand why some people would even think it was safe, I barely trust my racks going down the lake at 30mph. Definitely against it.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
Plenty of other posts on this subject. Do a search and you will see a bunch of responses.

I pull to the lake about 2 miles, and never get over 40 mph, so I do. I would NOT do it if it was either farther, or I had to go any faster. I also have very good racks that the boards stay in really well.

I also ride a motorcycle, so I do agree that this can really be a stupid thing on longer and faster rides. I am one of those that likes to get up close and check out your boat. REALLY don't feel like catching one of your boards unexpectedly.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-21-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
Bill - was your buddy's board lying in the truck flat or on it's side? Has anyone else lost boards out of a truck, if so, were they on their side? I would be suprised if they came out of the truck if on their side.

Just curious...
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-21-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
I have been noticing more and more boats showing up at the lake w/ boards in racks, and this lake is 70 miles away from where everyone drives from.
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-21-2008, 5:25 PM Reply   
I lost a board off the floor of the boat while towing to the lake w/o the damage to any others lucky for me. It definitely was laying flat and that's the last time any board took a ride in the boat or in the back of my truck w/o some sort of tie down. just not worth it IMO.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-21-2008, 8:59 PM Reply   
Generally not a good idea.
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-21-2008, 9:30 PM Reply   
Boat launch is about 2 1/2 miles from the house so, yes I have mine in the racks & the bimini up. Never go over 40mph though. Anything faster than that I say no way! I never would have thought a board would fly out of the back of the truck though.
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-22-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
I typically tow about 6 miles with the boards in the racks and I'll tow up to 55mph or so. However, My racks are the ones which attach to the tower in two separate places, and I have them as wide as my boots will allow. The racks are rock solid. The boards fit tight in the racks, and I also use an extra strap to ensure the boards stay in the racks... I don't trust the little bungees. The boards never move. I could tow them further in the racks, but the fear is damage to the tower due to the extra weight/wind resistance, no fear that the boards would come out.

Oh, the main reason I carry them in the racks... carrying 4 boards anywhere else is a pain!!!! Where do you put them?
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-22-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
I find that using a ladder to rack them on the street is easier... We rack the wakeboards, wakeskate, surfboards... put down the bimini, put in the plug, add led, put cold drinks in the cupholder.... and then we drive down the street 4 blocks to launch ramp

(Message edited by Monkey on July 22, 2008)
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-22-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
Pete it was lying on it's side. He thought he was ok because he had a lot of other miscellaneous crap in there but now knows better. We do usually leave them in if we're camping at the lake and not leaving the boat in the water. Usually no more than a mile at low speeds.

Chad I usually put them in the boat under the cover, or in the rv, or in the back of the jeep.

I Was surprised to see this topic as the poll on the main page. Do I win a prize Dave?
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
I don't think it's a good idea either, but as always, when I make a boating ethics comment to the rest of my family it is ignored, however, they have stopped power turning.

my '04 byerly flew out of the racks on the way to the river, luckily the street was somewhat empty and the only car that it came into contact with merely ran it over. it does say alot about the construction of hype boards cuz I rode it in competition the next day.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-22-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
Hahahaha, merely ran it over. Classic.

I guess I could tow our boat with the boards in the racks, I just chuck them on the back seat usually though, only 2 minutes or so to the ramp at 50 km/h so no worries about them flying out. There are sometimes people riding back there too so they should be able to keep an eye on it.

If I was going any further or faster I'd probably put them up in the bow storage or in the truck.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2008, 9:48 PM Reply   
Jos, I'm just saying I'm glad it didn't go through a windshield, I don't know if you are familiar with the older Byerly board but it looks like a hunting knife.