Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-22-2005, 12:15 PM Reply   
For all you tahoe boys......I am considering making the move out there (reno actually) and I have a couple questions.....

1. Which ski resorts are closest to Reno? (terrain park especially) and how much is a season pass?

2. How is the construction industry/real estate market (I would be transferring a hardwood flooring company there).

3. How is the wakeboarding in and around Reno?

I am especially interested in the season pass issue at the closest resorts, I went to colorado last year and its 350 for a pass to five mountains. Help me consider this move, and thanks for any advice!

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (aep6475)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-22-2005, 3:06 PM Reply   
Guide Picks - Top Tahoe Resorts
If you're looking for the best ski resorts around Lake Tahoe, here are some favorites, chosen by your Guide.
1.) Heavenly Valley
Heavenly Valley is one of the best known ski resorts at Lake Tahoe. Enjoy the new gondola, and some great catering at the top of the hill.
2.) Squaw Valley
With it's new resort buildings almost finished, Squaw is bigger and better than ever. Fine dining, too!
3.) Sierra-at-Tahoe
A local's favorite, and closest to the Bay Area and Sacramento. There are plenty of intermediate runs here, too. And great for kids!
4.) Diamond Peak
Diamond Peak has lots of specials, and several expert runs.
5.) Alpine Meadows
Alpine Meadows is another local's favorite, with differing terrain from neighboring Squaw Valley.
6.) Kirkwood
Kirkwood is another fine resort in South Lake Tahoe.

Heavenly 05/06 Unlimited Adult Pass
Adult 19-64 years old. Valid seven (7) days a week with no restricted days. This pass is valid for a total of 3 days at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone or ABasin and are subject to these restricted dates: November 25-26, December 27-31, 2005 and February 18-19, 2006.
$518.00

I'm to lazy to look up more then that. I can tell you though that all you need to know about Reno is http://www.boomtownreno.com/ can you say 20$ all you can eat lobster!! Man me and my wife must have sat there for 3 hours.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-22-2005, 5:57 PM Reply   
isnt heavenly quite the drive from reno?
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-22-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
yeah, too bad reno's closer to north shore than south, so heavenly and especially kirkwood are no-go's. kirkwood takes a good 1.5 hrs from reno, prob more. it's sick as hell, but too far away. it and sugarbowl get the most snow in the tahoe area. sierra-at-tahoe's another southshore resort that's harder to get to, but has a good park.

If you're movin to reno, look at the donner/north shore area resorts.

Squaw's sick, but too expensive usually. good pipe and park once the season gets crankin, but shuts down for wind a lot. sick village at the bottom tho.

Alpine's dope, cheap passes past couple years, tho it can be hard to park there when it's good. park's usually pretty sick, tho not one of the biggest. Squaw's park is def. better, but squaw's more crowded and totally f*cked when it's windy. Squaw's whole upper mountain's usually windpacked unless there's fresh snow which makes for a harder park. Alpine gets windy at the top, but the park's farther down the mountain so it stays alright.

northstar (aka flatstar) has good park/pipe, but it's a big family resort and gets a lotta traffic cuz it's close to 80 and they have cheap season passes. don't expect anything in the way of terrain there, but their park is usually pretty sick and pretty big. plenty of jibs and some good jumps, but plenty of gapers too. sh*t gets annoying when it's crowded.

You can usually get to Alpine, and pretty much always to northstar and squaw. Sugarbowl's another that's just on the other side of the pass from Reno, but that's more terrain stuff like cliffs and lines than terrain park. alpine's prob the best mix with the least people compared to squaw and northstar, tho there's some other smaller resorts like mt. rose (prob closest to reno) that i'm not sure about cuz i don't know anyone who ride them.

You usualy wanna stay on the reno side of the donner pass because u can easily get trapped on the opposite side if a big snow hits. then u may not be able to get over for a few days (happened to me before when i was stayin in reno and workin at sugarbowl).

But, there's a jib/park-only mountain called Boreal that's small as sh*t, but good for that stuff, on the west side of the pass near sugarbowl and the season passes are pretty cheap. they also have night skiing too which is cool for after work. I think it starts at 3:30 and goes till 9 or 930 and is only like $20 for a lift ticket. But the mountain didn't used to be all park like it is now, so things may have changed. There's usually some pretty sick riders at night throwin down. Seen all kinds of pros up there.

Squaw has night skiing too.

I'd just try to get a map of all the resorts online so that u can figure it out yourself, and then look at the individual websites to check out the deals. You missed the best time to get a pass which is in summer, but u may still be able to get the hookup now.

good luck. Tahoe's epic, you'll love it. It's beautiful with great skiing and gambling, sick combo. Lots of little lakes around and plenty of money so there'll be someone to ride with in the summer. Reno's alright too.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-22-2005, 6:13 PM Reply   
thanks dude.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-22-2005, 6:44 PM Reply   
lol - 1.5hrs is too far away??? sheesh. i drive that far every time i wakeboard, let alone snowboard!
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-22-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
hey man...i live in reno during the summer..i used to live there all the time before moving to florida for school, but anyway. i mostly went to mt. rose..i cant give you any more info about what your asking since i dont really spend that much time there...and wakeboarding..you have to go to stampede or boca which is like 30-40mins away..tahoe isnt very good for boarding at all and its so cold...alot of people in reno have house at lake almanor..that is 30mins past susanville..that is where i spend most of my summer up there at the lake..
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-22-2005, 7:17 PM Reply   
people dont ride tahoe?

chris....who said that? Have you ever considered how far a 1.5 hour drive can take in a bad snow storm?
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-22-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
yeah, see u wanna stay on highway 80 cuz it stays open the most of any road. gettin to southshore takes more backroads that closer more, or u just have to go into northshore then around the lake on 89 (closes easily too) which is a waste.

if there's a blizzard, trust me, u wanna be at a resort off of I80 cuz u have the best chance of gettin home, plus the speed limit's the fastest and there's 2 lanes each way all the way. Caltrans is all about keepin that road open because it's the big east/west passageway into/out of cali. it closes sometimes, but only when the snow's serious. Try to meet some people who live in donner if u can, just in case u get stuck or don't wanna do the 40min drive to the snow more than once a weekend.

as for the lake thing, people board tahoe, but it's too cold, i wouldn't wanna. people also go to the smaller ones too like donner and other little ones, but they're still cold. be decent in a springsuit tho, tahoe in a full cuz it's so deep.

and yeah, drivin 1.5 hours when ur at those elevations is a bad deal, esp when snowing, and plus, why drive that far when you've got the goods at half that distance? plus it actually may be farther to kwood, but i don't know all the little highways there so maybe not. i know it's 40mins from southshore on a decent highway that intersects at a little sh*tty highway that closes real easy, and given the "k factor" gives that area so much snow, it can be a pain in the ass. but hey, i grew up in roseville which is 1.5 hours away from northshore and we used to roll up for nightboardin after school sometimes so i'm familiar with the 1.5hr struggle. try livin in phoenix and tryin to ski tho...sucks balls.

still, i slept on couches and floors for a winter just to ride up there and don't regret it at all, it's that sick. the local scenes tight too, lot of good riders and all are pretty cool, unless you're a gaper, then just get off to the side of the run or you'll have problems. but that's pretty common anywhere u go i think.
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-22-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
the correct craft dealer and some others back up to tahoe on highway 89
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-23-2005, 7:34 AM Reply   
The Reno housing market is booming right now and will probably continue to for quite a while. There is always a demand for a trade like yours.

Most of the northshore ski resorts are about an hour drive unless chains are required (which isn't that often on that part of hwy 80)

I hear there's a good WBing lake in Reno and there's also Boca about 10 miles east of Truckee right off 80 as well. Tahoe & Donner lakes are sketch IMHO but there are many people who ride them regularly that would argue that. I have a place in Truckee and I just love the whole area!
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-23-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
when i said donner, i really meant truckee area. it's pretty much the same, but yeah, my bad.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-23-2005, 6:04 PM Reply   
thanks doooods. Now i just have to decide between spending the winter there or co again.
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-23-2005, 10:02 PM Reply   
tahoe, way sicker cuz all the resorts are so close, and i just like tahoe cuz i'm from there, gotta rep it. u ski or board? i ski, and there's a pretty decent scene, esp at the southshore soldiers camp in the spring, that's when all the pros for both skiing and snowboarding roll through. i'm sure you ride with more pros on the regular in CO for skiing. i was in crested butte last year for a week and got to ride with seth morrison (if u know who he is)
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-24-2005, 5:35 AM Reply   
I ski, ha.....seth who?

j/k. He lives in Frisco (summit country co) bumped into him at wal mart a few times.
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-24-2005, 7:38 AM Reply   
Yeah Mike!! Bumpin into seth at wallmart thats where its at. We saw seth ski underneath us while on a lift in vail. It was sic. Big up for the skiers. If you stay in colorado im sure ill see you cause im gonna be out there a bunch this year. We ran into tanner at breck (if you know who that is..wink wink..

danny
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-24-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
It's getting a little late to get the cheap passes, anywhere.

Better skiing than Summit County, but not as cheap. More chicks and a better vibe, especially on the north shore.

Mt. Rose, the closest to Reno, had a $299 early season deal. Nice mountian, some nice steep chutes that just opened last year. Not a very big park, couple of table tops. Highest resort in LT, elevation matters when the snow level rises.

Sugar Bowl and Kirkwood had a $369 corporate deal.
Both resorts are higher and get more snow than Squaw. Good mix of terrain, but neither has much of a park.

Squaw, $1600 pass and worth every penny. Sick terrain, more pro's and wanabe's than you can shake a stick at. Big park and pipe scene.

Alpine, nice terrain, much more laid back than Squaw.

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-24-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
how much are alpine, boreal, and northstar season passes?
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-24-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
why are the lakes sketch? I ride Boca and Stampede all season, nothing sketch about them except for on the weekends when all the gapers are up from the bay area and make them "sketch".
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-24-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
i went to squaw a few years ago...overrated.

mt. rose was small but nice

sugarbowl was sweet, i'd for sure go there again.

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-24-2005, 5:53 PM Reply   
alpine and boreal season pass prices?
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-24-2005, 7:11 PM Reply   
skiboreal.com

alpinemeadows.com
Old    chavezychavez            10-24-2005, 7:36 PM Reply   
Mike, I suggest Northstar here (I am amazed nobody has). Other than Rose, it is the closest resort to Reno by travel time and it is on the I-80 corridor.

Tons of parks, plenty of other terrain, and cheap season pass (as low as 269).

www.skinorthstar.com
www.doublewhammypass.com

PS: The new village should be open this year.
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-24-2005, 7:40 PM Reply   
I mentioned Northstar above in my first post.
Old    chavezychavez            10-24-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
I notice that now. Lots of posts here - I overlooked it.

Anyhow, Star has terrain, if you know where to look for it - no cliffs or steeps, but plenty of hidden stashes of fluff. There are also hiding spots from the crowds, but again, only if you know where to look for them.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-25-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
Northstar is cool, but it's always crowded during the weekend. Having to take the gondola and then two lifts to get to the top means you end up standing in line all day. It's much better during the week.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-25-2005, 8:41 AM Reply   
i think based on what i could tell so far i would go for the double whammy, plus the boreal pass.

under 600 for the three resorts, and maybe just drop the dough for a day ticket to kirkwood on a pow day.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-25-2005, 12:11 PM Reply   
unless you're REALLY into riding park I would look somewhere other than Nothstar. I occasionally hear people say there are good "spots" as Chavez put it, but it leaves much to be desired unless you're into hitting fifty different types of boxes. If you're going to get a Boreal pass there is no reason for a pass to Northstar. Boreal will have all the park, jibs, rails, boxes, etc. that you need. I suggest looking for a less crowded mountain then Northstar that actually has some decent terrain.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-25-2005, 12:56 PM Reply   
true that, im a park right, but only when the snows not falling. Squaw is scrill though.....you tahoe boys sure keep good secrets, in colorado it is so easy to pick up and go.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-25-2005, 7:59 PM Reply   
Two things I disagree with, Scott:

(1) Boca and Stampede are fairly sketch weekday nights mid-June to Labor Day; and (2) I think the Renoites, especially ones with pickle forked Xstars (i.e., "four baggers") and matching detailed rigs, are more to blame for that than Bay Area folk.

Agree about Northstar.

For whoever started this question, I lived in Truckee and commuted to Reno for two years. I night skiied at Squaw, got weekends in there, and got a lot of wakeboarding in. You have to want it to get good water around these parts, but it is there.

Lahontan, east of Reno, is good early and late in the season. Super WT at other times.

Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-26-2005, 9:50 AM Reply   
LMAO, damn four baggers!!! How dare you ever disagree with me Brian.

He is right though, the local lakes are ruined more by the Reno crew than the Bay area folks. It's the bay area folks that overrun our town and the mountain.