Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (davidgree1)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
I have a Malibu 2004 with a Mansoon engine. It's a little loud. I saw a down turn exhaust extension that attaches to the back. Any info would be appreciated.
Old     (mc_driver)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-06-2005, 11:05 PM Reply   
Here you go:

http://www.boatpipes.com/

Detailed study is here:

http://safetynet.smis.doi.gov/fae.pdf
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-07-2005, 3:43 PM Reply   
with the boatpipes, isnt there somewhat of a drag or an interference in the control of the boat from the pipe? It looks like it would act as an additional fin.
Old    heirborn            05-07-2005, 5:20 PM Reply   
I have one on my Centurion Eclipse V Drive and I love it. Does not effect performance or handling. Reverse "walking" is a little effected on my boat but not to the point of being a problem. At wakeboarding/wakesurfing speeds the noise is greatly reduced. Still has a nice sound at WOT. No exhaust fumes when wakesurfing, is the main reason that I got one.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-07-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
You didn't say which Malibu you have, but I'm guessing it's a direct drive because the v-drive's come with mufflers.

You can install Silent Rider mufflers (which are a factory option) to decrease sound levels substantially. The Monsoon is much quieter with them installed, and you won't loose much power at all.
Old     (davidgree1)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2005, 9:17 PM Reply   
I have a 2004 ddrive Malibu w/ Monsoon 340 engine.
How much would the silent ride mufflers cost? Can I install them myself?
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-08-2005, 5:34 PM Reply   
I have the boatpipe system and it has been working great, way less noise from the motor both inside and outside the boat and you can now surf for an hour with no CO poisoning and no exhaust fumes while idling through the 5 mph zones either.

Boatpipes
Old     (juice75)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-09-2005, 7:53 AM Reply   
Gordon - that's a sweet setup. Does the FAE attach to the bottom of the swim platform? If so, how does it attach? Did you have to drill holes in your platform?

I'm trying to decide between the FAE system and Silent Rider Mufflers. The mufflers are a little cheaper, but the CO2 reduction is appealing.
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-09-2005, 9:35 AM Reply   
Kraig,

On my model, it is attached to the swim platform brackets, not the swim platform itself. Most of the other installation photos I've seen it is attached to the platform. You can see detailed installation instructions here:

http://www.boatpipes.com/Installation.jsp
Old     (davidgree1)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-09-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
Which would quite the boat more? Switching to Silent Rider or FAE
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-09-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
David:

If you want more info on Silent Riders, you might check out www.themalibucrew.com, that's where most of the Malibu owners hang out.

FYI on the boat pipes: If you have a wedge on your BU, I don't think it will work.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-10-2005, 8:27 PM Reply   
A really wierd thing, when we went from a Tige 22V to a 24V having the exact same engine with the exact same exhaust part numbers, the engine sound level in the boat went way down. I personally think something has changed in the Marine Power Vortec exhaust but it's proven it has not. Could being a little farther away from the exhust be that noticable?

Both engine sound levels are fine for me, but adding a way to lower the engine noise is always good for us old farts. Has anyone added one of these exhausts to a Tige?
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-11-2005, 5:59 PM Reply   
This post is from Larry Mann, inventor of Fresh Air Exhaust (FAE), also called Boat Pipes.

Our customers have said that there was a substantial reduction in noise with FAE and that boat handling was not affected. One Tige customer said FAE was "transparent". The Centers for Disease Control, in a study for the US Coast Guard, claim up to 90% reduction in Carbon Monoxide levels. Mounting is of course to the exhaust outlets, and to either the swim platform or the transom. There is virtually no loss in engine performance. The Malibu wedge will still work, but it won't swing. We replace the Wedge bolts with quick release pins so the Wedge can be either in the up or the down position. FAE fits on all inboard boats we have checked. We are happy to answer any questions you may have.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-12-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
So you have to physically remove and replace the wedge when you want it deployed? How many of those will end up on the bottom of the lake?