Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (addicted)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-07-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
I'm curious if this is a decent sized ollie or if I still have a ways to go:

If this is a "baby ollie", what are some tricks to get even more air? I have messed around with a "pre-pop" motion where I bury my front foot before shifting to my back foot and it seems to help some. Am I on the right track with that or is that a bad habit to get in to?

Also, I always drop my back hand when I do my ollies or I fee like I'm being pulled off balance. Is this normal or do I need to work on keeping two hands on the handle?

Thanks!
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-07-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
watch. learn.
http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/high-ollie-contest/
I'd say that's a solid ollie from your pic. lol probably won't help at all but that shows how high they can ollie
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-08-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
One of my worst crashes came trying that crap. Me and ollie dont get along at all. I would say thats pretty damned good for sure. Yeah not the highest but real nice.
Old     (addicted)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-09-2010, 6:22 AM Reply   
One of your worst crashes came from ollieing? How did you manage that?

Good to hear its decent sized. I knew it wouldn't be considered massive, just wasn't sure if that was the level most people got to or not. I guess now I can move on to my w2w tricks.

Thanks guys.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-09-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
I dug the nose hard and it slammed me so hard flat on my face so fast I forgot my damn name!
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-10-2010, 4:26 PM Reply   
I'd say your ollie is definitely respectable, but you'll probably get more height if you keep working on it. Don't have any tips, really, beyond rocking from front to back foot for "pre-pop", which you're already doing.

Mine are hit or miss. Haven't tried any big ones in a while. There used to be a no wake buoy on Victoria slough in the Delta which made for good practice.

P.S. Damn, those ollies in the high ollie contest vid are huge.
Attached Images

Old     (addicted)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-10-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
Ollieing a no wake buoy would be awesome. We visited a lake a couple weeks back that had 1 that I thought about going for, but I was afraid I wouldn't make it over or faceplant --- and I'd never hear the end of that.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-10-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
As I recall, I actually intended to ollie just to the side of it and and ask ppl in the boat if I was close. I miscalculated and jumped too close to it, then for some reason said f@#$ it and went for a 180. This explains the look of terror on my face. LOL. Credit for the memories goes to Brant for capturing the pic. :-)
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-28-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
Alain,

Well first off nice Ollie, i ordered those buoys and there pretty high... #2 Thank you for putting all my workers in danger. Its all fun and games until a sheet slips on the Cofferdam your blasting buy and you end up drowning 20+ workers. The odds that it would happen are pretty slim to non but it does happen. Just food for thought.

Last edited by Michael; 09-28-2010 at 7:51 AM.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-28-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Thank you for putting all my workers in danger..
Sorry, Michael, didn't realize I was endangering anyone. That certainly wasn't the intention.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-28-2010, 3:36 PM Reply   
Alain,

Your ok man, My apologies i woke up on the wrong side of the bed with way to much to do. Sorry again, you definitely arnt the only person to do this, i cant even count the number of pictures i have seen of this. I'll be honest if it wasn't my job site, i can put money that i would be doing the exact same thing.lol
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-28-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
No worries, I'd probably not be pleased if someone was ollying over my desk while I'm trying to work.. ;-)
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-28-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
ahaha i actually really enjoyed watching people ride by, but safety is always a big deal on construction sites. The worst was when i would walk out of the office and the water was glass and i had to work and not ride.. talk about a tease.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-29-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
OP, there are a lot of variables when it comes to getting a good ollie snap. For example if I am going after something really high (like some 5mph buoys on crack...there were a couple at folsom if I remember correctly, somewhere between waist and nipple height) I would tell the boat driver to up the speed a bit. This will create a "harder surface" to get a little better pop, just remember you gotta adjust your timing too since you are closing in on the object quicker. If its a regular 5 mph buoy I wont adjust speed. Another quick tip is to edge out towards the object (also increasing your speed giving you a harder surface to pop off of).

Other than that, try a buoy...by the looks of your pic you could probably get it and putting something you HAVE to get over you will find yourself getting a little bit more "spring your legs"...out of necessity.