Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old    masterpainter            01-19-2003, 8:14 PM Reply   
Has anyone actually seen one of these in the water or ridden behind one? At the boat show, the bottom of the hull was covered by some kind of drape thingy, so no comparison there. Some of the ideas seemed pretty cool though, like most of the seats facing rearward and at staggered heights. I know I wouldn't want to watch DVDs or hit the playstation, but having a digi cam on the tower and replaying some stuff at the end of the day or between runs would be OK. The fold up transom seats look like they would be fun to ride in even if nobody was behind the boat. All I could get out of the salesman was " it was purpose built to have the biggest, baddest wake ever, blah blah blah...". I told him that was what every manufacturer says and he just got all defensive but invited me up for demo day in a few weeks when it gets warmer here.

Just curious as to what everyone's impression was/is and if anyone has actually ridden behind this thing. The dealer said that plenty of people have been riding behind it in Florida at a wakeboarding school, but the interview I read with Hansen seemed like it was written by some ad exec in New York, not a discussion with a wakeboarder. List is supposed to be about $45K and that was the only thing constructive I got out of them.
Old    matt_dettman            01-19-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
I have not seen one other than in print as of yet. However, many runabout builders have taken a stab at the inboard/v-drive market over the past several years with little success. Sea Ray, Bayliner, Maxum and Cobalt come to mind.

I believe their ultimate failure was due more from the lack of knowledge (therefore credibility) of the salesmen than any percieved lack of quality. Selling boats to a well-informed customer requires the salesperson to be both knowledgeable and HONEST!

The average inboard/v-drive buyer is highly informed when compared to the runabout customer. I sell both types of boat so I have first hand experience!

Regarding the Regal, it looks like it has some fresh ideas. Time will tell...

Matt
Old    masterpainter            01-19-2003, 8:55 PM Reply   
Matt, That is so true. I would rather him say, "this is the first one we've got and none of us have ridden behind it yet. Why don't you come out and see it with us?" Instead you hear " It's designed to be the best." Duh!! Who designs anything to be mediocre? Man, we thought about building the best but it wouldn't have enough profit in it, so we just shot for somewhere around poor to average. Just answer the question and if you don't know, don't guess. Tell me to wait while you go get the answer and I'll respect that. If you lie to me and I catch it, you've lost me forever.
Old     (michaelb14)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-20-2003, 1:44 PM Reply   
MasterPainter,

Why did you leave WakeboardAtlanta?
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-20-2003, 2:46 PM Reply   
The salesman at the Atlanta show didn't know anything about the boat or wakeboarding. Boat show price was 52,900. Or, I could buy a loaded out Supra Launch SSV with my choice of 3k in options for 40k out the door. I was there only to look this year, but it would have been an easy choice.
Old    masterpainter            01-20-2003, 7:49 PM Reply   
hey Mike, I didn't know I left. Matter of fact I just read ODB's article on the ATL boat show today at work. The new site looks cool.

I've been busy lately between the property on the lake and also we are starting a non-profit foundation to help prevent child and spousal abuse, so I just haven't been posting alot lately.

Thanks for asking though and I promise I'll post some more :-)
Old    xtremebordgurl            02-03-2003, 12:45 PM Reply   
Let us know how the demo goes, if the wake is nice it will be on the top of my list. I still don't know what to make of the whole TV?DVD?PLaystaion thing yet. Ride in one of those little bucket seats and tell us how comfy they are, they look pretty comfy but who knows, they could be like hard plastic or something like that. Thanx 4 any info
BESS