Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-14-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
I am a regular on Lake Thunderbird in Norman, OK. We have had well over 30 inches of rain this year alone, and it doesn't seem to stop. Thunderbird finally closed it's last ramp today after an hour and a half wait time in line for the boat ramp. Since January, the lake troopers said the water level was up almost 21 feet. Are there any lakes still open in Oklahoma, or am I going to have to resort back to mowing on saturday, and golf on sunday?? My girlfriend (left in green) will have to find another place to use the bong!lol

(Message edited by cbraden on July 14, 2007)
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-14-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       07-14-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
Cody I think she already found another place..... I saw her today at Draper....Jk Damn I guess i will put the boat back in storage i was planning on heading out in the am for a little while.... This really sucks... My place at Eufaula the dock walkway is about 40 foot from shore and the parking lot is about 4 foot deep since last Friday
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-14-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
we feel yalls pain down here in Texas!
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-14-2007, 10:43 PM Reply   
crap, and I'm towing my malibu from AZ on Aug 10th to Eufaula. Starting to wonder if it will be worth it.

How much water are they draining from Eufaula per day, anyone? Or does anyone know of a website I can keep up with about the lake levels, news, updates, etc...??
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-14-2007, 10:55 PM Reply   
found it.

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/EUFA.lakepage.html
Old     (dmac)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-15-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
uh-oh, I hear they found TWO more dead bodies in Draper!!!!
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-15-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
Murray is still open, but texoma sucks. Most of the ramps on Texoma are closed and the spillway road at murray is closed. Lots of debre on Texoma too.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-15-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
HAHAHA that girl in blue is pouring the beer all over herself!!
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-15-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
put some of that water into lake powell and lake mead. We're down over 100' now at lake mead.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-15-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
No doubt Ron... :-)

Here's a website that "apparently" some of the locals at Eufaula, OK are watching (links on the right side):

http://www.saveourwaterlakeeufaula.com/
Old     (sportydude)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2007, 5:28 PM Reply   
that really sucks! We dont have to worry bout that at our lake, its not rly big tho. I wish we could get that rain out west, get some water back in Lake McConaughy!
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-15-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
I lied. They opened up one ramp this morning and were regulating boats in and out. I waited over one hour just to get the boat OUT of the water this evening. Had to pack it up to watch some Entourage. Keith, from what I hear, Eufaula is a mess. There is no CUT, and most of the ramps are completely under. Lake Murray in Ardmore is a nice one, still open, but I would definitely make sure what lakes are open before you lug that boat this way. All else fails, keep on driving to the Ozarks, I think they are still alive and kicking over there.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-15-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
heheh, thanks Cody.. Maybe I'll just come down there. I am an OU alumni and have plenty of places to stay in Norman! :-) :-)
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-16-2007, 5:46 AM Reply   
Saturday while we were in line at thunderbird they shut it down. I heard it was to only people not camping so we said we were camping and we got on.
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
Hey Ty, they shut it down due to the high traffic and the limited spacing for trucks and trailers. I spoke to one of the Rangers and he said people were getting pretty testy and they had a few accidents around the parking lot, so they shut it down for incoming boats. A buddy of mine has a 28' Cobalt that he somehow managed to squeeze through the line of trucks and when he got to the ramp he didnt feel comfortable loading with all of those people right there on top of each other
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-16-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
yea...we got there around 6:30PM Saturday and the ranger told us it officially closed for launch at 4:30. He mentioned something about the ramp not opening until next weekend or later...not sure what that's about?

Looks like we're all coming to see you, Dylan! But then again....everyone knows the good water is at Draper anyway!
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
I called Calypso Cove Marina early sunday morning, and they said that Clear Bay was the only ramp open. as far as I know, they didnt close it on sunday but I wasnt taking any chances. I grabbed my daughter out of bed, drug the dog downstairs, and head out pretty early to beat the rush.
Old     (dmac)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
ya, but dead.. bodies? I mean, they're dead people in my lake. Oh well I'm riding in Denver anyway.. have at it
Old     (soonerwake85)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-17-2007, 6:43 AM Reply   
The ramp at Calypso Cove was only closed temporarily due to the crazy mo fo's who cant wait in line. I called the state park services today and they said the ramp is still open. I get to stay away from Draper. Thank You!
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-17-2007, 6:56 AM Reply   
Hey Cody is his cobalt blue and white if so i seen him and it looked like he was having problems. i think i'm going to foss or ft. cobb this weekend
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-17-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
No but I know who you are talking about. I have seen them around a few times. He has an all white with a small black stripe. I see you have a Mastercraft, it doesnt happen to be the yellow X-Star does it?
Old     (awalker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-17-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
I feel you guys pain a little bit, except I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I live in North Florida and all of the closest places we have to ride are too low. The lake I live on has almost completely dried up and the river is too low as well.
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-17-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
Adam, That is the norm for us. this year's weather is so messed up I cant even begin to tell you. We have been in a drought for 4 or 5 years, lakes are drying up all over, and then we get rain forest storms for months straight. what I dont understand is why you and the rest of the east coast aren't getting any of these storms. If they could get away with opening up the spillways or flood gates without washing out towns on down the river they would, but every reservoir in Oklahoma is to the max, and rising.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-17-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
cody mine is blue and gray, sorry my caps doesn't work
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-17-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
Ive got a cream and crimson colored stingray 180. no tower or anything special, but on T-bird most weekends except for this. My bestfriend has an MMA fight in bricktown, maybe on sunday though. I have never been to Foss or Cobb, but hear they are both pretty nice. Hollar if you ever see us ridin around out there.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-18-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
since i ride at the 'bird, this might be a good thread to reiterate the point that power-turning back to a down rider messes up the water for everyone else in the area. PLEASE throttle down to idle PRIOR to turning back and putt to the rider....there is no need to race back to him.

oh...and while i'm at it...props to the beige and black malibu down on the west end last night for taking my suggestion to heart and learning how to resist the urge to power-turn. we were in the blue and black supra trying to lead by example....and what do you know....it worked!!!

*climbing off soapbox*
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-18-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
eric, did you not have any debris floating down there last night? Sunday was horrible everywhere but by the restaurant. A buddy of mine was heading to the west and hit a log and made everyone in his boat fall forward, but he couldnt see any damage underneath the boat.

I totally agree with the powerturning problem. I ride with different people all the time, and can not stand it when I am bouncing around in the water after I fall because the driver feels the need to full throttle a 180* turn to come get me, then slam it in reverse to back up because the rollers pushed his boat past me. Most people dont know how to refrain from doing it, so I agree, example is one of the best ways to teach someone.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-18-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
no power turns here
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-18-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
yea...there was some debris but not as much as we've seen in previous weeks (when it was still raining!). There are several areas to watch out for, including the south shore on the west end. We just try to keep a good look-out on our first couple of passes. Of course, the island is completely under water and probably needs to have a bouy....we saw a skier buzz right over the center of it last night and I was just waiting from something to reach up and grap his prop. He made it through, but I wouldn't try it!

to any who didn't read the previous posts....no power-turns on t-bird please!