Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-06-2010, 8:39 PM Reply   
i was wondering what people's opinions were on which nose type on a boat would tend to scoop more water going over waves ...**i know, "just don't go over waves"... but really**

what i gather from pictures and thought alone:
the pickle seems like it is open more to recieve more water, BUT it also creates a shape underneath that seems like it would take more force for water to climb around and up the side to get into the bow.

which style tends to take on water more easily?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-06-2010, 8:50 PM Reply   
The one with the bad nut behind the wheel.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-06-2010, 8:51 PM Reply   
agreed. Mostly depends on the driver
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-06-2010, 9:20 PM Reply   
In my experiences, traditionals bow wash more easily but pickleforks do wash also and when they do they can take as much or more water in as a traditional. Really depends on the boat. Our malibu VLX sits super low in the front and washes very easy/takes on a ton of water. In all my time in an Epic 23V, never got close to washing. (I guess thats not a traditional but close)
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-06-2010, 11:18 PM Reply   
The surface area of the bow of a pickle fork is bigger, so you can scoop more water with a big round spoon than you can with a pointy one.
Old    usfhookup            08-07-2010, 12:19 AM Reply   
"talltigeguy" you are totally wrong.... Adam hit it right on the head. Ask anyone who has owned/driven both style bows, you will quickly hear all of the positive things that the picklefork brings to the table. Not only do you double the interior space in the bow, but you are GREATLY increasing the surface area of the underside of the bow. As you slow down the boat rolls forward and more and more bow starts to come in contact with the water, increasing the upward force. I was driven a fully loaded Malibu the other day and you were unable to just cut the throttle on the VLX when someone fell. If you did it sunk under atleast 6 inches. The solution was simple, you just had to crank the wheel hard left as you slowed down, but none the less it is something I never have to do when driving a picklefork.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-07-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
^Tigeguy has an X45.

I have never dipped the nose of the XStar, but I did twice in an X1 and several in an older MC. I also think I am more mindful of not dipping the nose.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-07-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
the question cannot be answered strictly based on a PF vs non PF bow. other factors:

--slope of bow (does it slope down like the X star or like an old supra slalom boat)
--freeboard
--weight distribution (is the boat weighted bow or tail heavy, or evenly)...this can cause the boat to be pitched when in rollers and make it more susceptible to swamping
--acceleration/deceleration of the vessel
--angle of boat relative to incoming rollers

the boats that you have to be more cognizant of typically have downward sloping bows and or a low freeboard. In an X Star and some other low slung (bow) boats, if you are sitting with the engine off, you will oftentimes have start to boat and reposition when another wake boat passes to avoid getting swamped while sitting still. In my 230 and in a PF X2, I have never had to worry about it.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-08-2010, 6:11 PM Reply   
i agree with tdc worm many factors come into play as to why you dip your bow. front end weight and bow slope being two biggest factors.all he mentioned come into play though.ultimately driver can overcome most of these with skills.
Old     (britshorty)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-08-2010, 6:19 PM Reply   
I've found that speed also plays a huge part of it on our VLX. If i'm idling forward into a wake odds are even with just 3mph forward motion the bow will go into the wave and scoop the bow. If i hit the same wave on the same angle and we are just at rest swimming etc everything is just fine. I can't speak to a PF because I have not been in one but I assume they have the same problem?