Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-21-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
I am in the process of "gathering" all new components for a new system in my Tige 21 V over the winter. I chose Sony, and so far I have a new X plode CDX-F50 Marine with XM, satellite tuner, and adapter. I am planning to purchase soon, a pair of 500 watt Sony aluminum tower speakers with front and rear sets(250w each speaker), 4 new 250w watt Sony Xplode interior speakers, and a Sony marine transom remote.

My question is..I want to get a Sony Xplode amp and Crutchfield has a deal, buy the amp and get two 10" subs free. Will I need a second amp for all that? Also, where to mount?? Right now I am leaning to both amps under the cockpit, and mount the amps behind them in the storage area....is that cool or should I space the subs out one on each side of the boat? Other question is about the battery.....should I plan to add a second battery??

DC
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-21-2006, 4:05 PM Reply   
Be aware, those amps run very hot, maybe not a good match for a boat where they may need to run with less than 12v. The Sony head units are fine but I think you could do better when it comes to speakers or amps. You might also want to consider using a single 12 depending on what space you are working with. Don't overload your amps.

Amp 1 - tower speakers
Amp 2 - sub
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-21-2006, 4:32 PM Reply   
I agree with Mikeski. I understand the logic in keeping everything the same brand, but you might could do better with other tower or interior speakers. Other guys have a lot better knowledge of different speakers, but I have the Polk DB650's and they sound better than the SOny Xplods I have heard, and may be about the same price.

What sony speakers handle 250 Watts RMS that you could put on your tower? Or do you mean 250 Watts MAX? Most 6.5 inch speakers should be efficient enough to run off of less.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-21-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
This is the amp I am looking at.....keep in mind I am not a "audio" guy....no idea what all the numbers and stuff mean...just want the system to bump!

The XM-2200GTX 2-channel amplifier puts this reliability to good use with 200 watts RMS power per channel (or 500 watts RMS bridged), plenty of power for a subwoofer or two. The variable bass boost (0-10dB at 40 Hz) kicks up the lows when it's needed, and you can switch on the variable low-pass filter to keep the low frequencies tight and crisp.

Extra-sturdy, gold-plated terminals give you reliable signal and power connections, and the speaker-level inputs allow for easy integration with any system, even a factory radio.

Details:

» 2-channel car amplifier
» 200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (250 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)
» 500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
» low-pass crossover (50-300 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
» variable bass boost (0-10 dB at 40 Hz)
» MOSFET power supply and output stages
» Tri-way capable (Tri-Way Crossover required)
» CEA-2006 compliant
» preamp- and speaker-level inputs
» preamp outputs
» gold-plated connectors
» fuse rating: 40A x 2
» 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
» 15-3/4"W x 2-3/16"H x 10-7/8"D
» warranty: 1 year

The speakers say "250 watt max"....so each tower speaker has a front and rear..total 500 watt, and 250 each interior speaker, same style.

So no second battery? What's that about anyway...to make sure you don't kill them if you are parked for a while??

DC
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-22-2006, 12:38 AM Reply   
Yes, do two batteries. You may be able to run one down in a hurry with that many speakers if you run it loud.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-23-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Someone please help this guy out before he buys all that sony stuff (I know im still running that sony es 10" sub) and the sony deck but thats because I already had the waterproof wired remote. Sony is definitely what most people will NOT recommend on here in the way of speakers or amplifiers. Im running rockford and soundstream amps. Polk tower speakers, infinity boat and one sub speakers. Many will recommend JL as well as some other brands. Im of the impression it is in a boat and will need to be replaced some time so dont buy the most expensive stuff out there but you also want it to sound decent. Oh yea 2 batteries are a minimum, some people are running around 8 +- a few.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-23-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
Bob.....you say that based on sound, quality? Have you had a bad expeience? I want to put together a good system, but not if I have to replace things every season. Seeing that I've already bought the deck....what do you think about those? bad or good?

thanks
DC
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-24-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
I really havent had any problems with either deck (stock one that came on boat 2001) or new one I bought to have MP3/ aux input capability. Their amps and speakers have alot to be desired. I wont buy sony speaks or amps till I see some hard evidence of improvement. For one clue they normally post their watts as max not rms (true power). If you trust your product to hold its own weight why inflate numbers? Speaker efficientcy in boats is important also for a number of reasons. Limited power from alternators means amp power has to be considered more carefully. Amps that arent efficient or that drive speakers with low spl numbers take more current to produce the same sound levels. I would not call them junk just that for the same or just a little more money you can buy some better gear.You will find out that when your out on the water cruising whatever power you thought was sufficient you will either want or even NEED more power. Im up to 800 watts rms to the tower (4-momo 6X9's), 600 rms to the 2- 10's and 400 rms to the 4 boat speakers. I need about 1000 really to the subs and they need to be 12's not 10's as the ambient noise level is so high when your driving/cruising.
What I would call the experts or as close as you could be in the field of high level marine setups are looking to the more efficient amps due to the large currents these are drawing and limited park times available if your drawing 100-150 amps at moderate settings.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-24-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
Oh ....cool good advice and great tech info too.

Thanks Bob

DC