Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-10-2011, 7:05 PM Reply   
I think the old star had about a 60 gallon tank. Not 100% but i know it was pretty big
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-10-2011, 7:25 PM Reply   
dear lord

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2011, 1:40 AM Reply   
The wake looks incredible but it is soo ugly. I'm sure I could never afford to run it anyway. I am super glad I own a narrow beam wake boat which performs well and is economical to run, these new bred wake tugs are moving 100% in the wrong direction to grow the sport IMO.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-11-2011, 7:06 AM Reply   
Agree ^^
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-11-2011, 8:23 AM Reply   
Hate to break it to you but heated seats are already an option on mastercraft haha. I was out with a friend the other day when I saw it. Couldn't believe it at first. As far as the wake they are not completely finished with the mold and there are a few more minor tweaks they are still working on before it goes into production to clean it up
Old    mojo            09-11-2011, 10:37 AM Reply   
Stupidest boat ever. Produced for suckers who don't ride.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-11-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
Beautiful Boat. well done MasterCraft. To all the haters. When BMW redesigned the 7 series about 7 years ago, more or less, everyone hated it. Now its welcomed. Tastes and styles change, you have to be ahead of the curve....
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-11-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
I am interested to see how the gel schemes and graphics will look with the dip on the rub rail. I think they did a good job with it. I like the new interior features like the walk thru seat and the rear seat. Looks like they took some notes about what other people liked in other brands and made them better.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-11-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
IMO, the boat looks incredible. They are pusing the envelope. I dig everything but the tower which seems over done. I would also like to know the price point.
Old    mojo            09-11-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
except this thing costs more than a 7 series and the electronics in a car don't have the opportunity to get wet every time you get in it. why not just put a 50" plasma on the helm with a video camera facing forward so you don't even have to look at the surroundings? i think they should be ashamed of themselves. they don't care about wakeboarding. i understand as business profits are important, but pricing even "rich" people out of the sport is not how you make it grow. this is not just mc, but this is a great example. i expect this to be something designed by donald trump and birdman.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-11-2011, 12:25 PM Reply   
agree!!!!! ^^^^
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-11-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
cant wait to see one in person. will try to remain objective and make a couple of notes on functionality. wont touch the styling as it is a matter of opinion.

1) i love the ease of converting and stowing the reversible seat...appears much more functional than that of my CC230.
2) the billet handle on the reversible seat appears to be a safety hazard. it is inline with and level with the sun pad walkthrough. it appears that it would be easy to catch your toes under and poses a tripping/toe break risk.
3) when the reversible seat is in the stadium position, the long step down from the walkthrough is greeted by smooth fiberglass w/o traction and several cupholders. that could present a situation where a person could injure themselves when stepping in to the boat from the sun pad.
4) CC was lambasted for not having a squared off bench seat across the back on the 220 and the 210 (2007 model) because it segments the rear bench. Either MC didnt take notes or they think they can pull it off better.
5) the head rests above that protrude in to the sun deck appear to provide to functional advantage and reduce the stability of entry/exit from the cockpit...curved and raised surfaces on a boat that is rocking on the water dont mix.
6) love the attention to the convertible and rear facing seating that disappears when not in use...provides functionality for view riders and disappears in seconds when its time to chill.
7) it appears that the gunnels protrude in to the rear of the cockpit, reducing useable room across the rear bench.

should be interesting to see how it does when the public actually gets their hands on it....

Last edited by tdc_worm; 09-11-2011 at 1:07 PM.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-11-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
TDC, your eye for safety issues is quite good. Your observations 1-6 are very interesting.
Old    mojo            09-11-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
what's so special about having one convertible seat? no seat back for the starboard passengers to watch the rider. the draft looks to be about 35". this interior's piping looks straight out of a nautique. i'm sure the tv screen in the middle does alot, but i noticed the left lower screen has gauges displayed on it, not a safe place for viewing. i realize i'm hating on this thing, but i just don't imagine the wake was the focus. IMO, the wake should be the first focus that every other component of the boat is designed around. for instance, why not take the 2011 x-star wake, and just make a bigger boat around it with the exact same wake? that would take some engineering.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-11-2011, 2:10 PM Reply   
MC states every test rider had to be satisfied with the wake before they were done with the new x-star hull. Seems to me the wake should be the best....we shall see.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-11-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
I've had a few days to soak in these pics and videos. My first impression was that I liked it. Sure the price will be high, but it seems like a A LOT of boat so I have no problem with that, even though I'll never own one.

Now that a few days have passed, I'm noticing some things that don't add up. Many are things you all have pointed out.

1) The dip in the rub rail only looks good on the black, wrapped boat from the box. The white one in the videos does not look good, IMHO.

2) The ZFT5p tower works on this boat, especially in black. The ZFT2 tower is still hideous.

3) The dash may be overkill, but at least it looks good, which is more than I can say for Nautique's new dash. And I like the fact that you can drive with the dash pod down if you want more visibility.

4) I have hated on "transformer" interiors in the past, mainly because in order to make an interior transformable, seems you have to skimp on the "plushness" of the vinyle and and thickness of the padding. But I think MC's version is the best I've seen. It still looks very plush and comfortable.

5) However, here's what I don't understand. Do you really need a rear-facing bench for two people right in the middle of the boat? I mean, wouldn't it just be easier for those people to pivot their butts on the seat and turn their heads to watch the rider. That's what we do on my boat. The human neck does turn side-to-side, ya know. And if MC was so interested in having rear facing seating, why did they overlook the seat right behidnd the driver's seat? Why not put a seatback there? Bottom line... I think the convertible seating is a gimmick.

6) Finally the seatbacks that have headrests... what's the point here? All this does is make it more difficult to see the rider for those people seated there. Even if they pivot their heads they will be looking into a headrest. Plus the dual humps in the sub pad are terrible. It's like MC wants the people on the bench to have a great view, but the people sitting next to them get an obstructed view. Huh? No common theme here. Just one gimmick in complete contradiction with the gimmick right next to it.

With all that said, I still think it's a great looking boat... one of the few that comes close to justifying its crazy price tag. It looks like the BMW 7 series mentioned earlier. That's probably a good analogy for this boat.

Last edited by ixfe; 09-11-2011 at 2:52 PM.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-11-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
First off, I am a huge fan of Mastercraft boats... I spend a lot of time in the X-15, its a great boat.... love the wake and simplicity of the boat.

I thought my VLX had too much bling, this boat takes it to a whole new level.... it looks like Mastercraft has added more electronic components to fail on a boat, a dash that raises up???? I cant figure that one out, and a "power tower", seriously? You cant manually lower down your tower?

I do like the rear facing seating, especially in the walk thru...that was well thought out. I need to see this boat in a different color, the orange (or whatever color it is) interior looks hideous to me, especially for a boat reveal for the first time. Not a huge fan of the head rests either, they make it look like an ocean racer.

I personally like the old 2011 X-star much better, it looks better, probably handles better too. Maybe over time the body style will grow on me, but at this point is does nothing for me.

Mastercraft usually does there homework, there must be a demand for these boats...personally, I would take the X-25 over this new X-star. I guess to each is own, hope they have success launching it this year....

Are boat manufacturers missing what people want? Many are blue collar workers like myself, I think MB and AXIS are producing what customers who wakeboard want.... good value, not going to break the bank, turn the key, set your speed, fill your ballast, have a nice wake, nice stereo, solid boat, and enjoy time on the water with family and friends... there boats function, have less chance of breaking down, and are simple.

Last edited by fman; 09-11-2011 at 3:36 PM.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-11-2011, 4:10 PM Reply   
I must admit that I had more fun looking at boats at Surf Expo than I ever have in the past. Usually, the boat companies don't show a whole lot of new stuff, but this year was different. I really like everything that all the companies are bringing to the market. As far as this boat goes, I'm really impressed with how hard they tried to come up with cool and useful features and they were successful in a lot of areas.

The convertible seats are all great and functional and if you don't like them, you can always leave them in place. The way the rub rail comes in and then out to accommodate the rear of the boat is going to be one of those things that some will love and some will hate. I really like it cuz it gives the boat a muscle car feel. Reminds me of my first car, a '68 Firebird.

I have to agree with some that a lot of boats lately have gone too far in the "bling" arena and it seems like the Transformers theme is way too prevalent. However, I'm kind of old and can't afford these boats, so maybe I'm not necessarily the market they're targeting. The towers are a good example. Give me the simplicity of the Malibu Illusion X or the Tige tower that looks similar. That being said, a tower that raises and lowers at the push of a button is invaluable to somebody that has to lower their tower every time they put their boat away. I can't understand why anybody would complain about a boat company offering that feature.

The bottom line is that it is very cool to see all these companies pushing so hard to outdo each other. Competition kicks ass because we're all benefitting big time!
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-11-2011, 4:13 PM Reply   
The headrests are quite possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen on a boat but other than that and the rub rail I like just about everything about the boat. I'm surprised there aren't more haters on those seat backs than people who hate on the tower.
Old     (dbrew)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-11-2011, 4:15 PM Reply   
Expensive boats like these are the reasons that boat companies like Axis and cable riding is growing. I'm sure the wake is massive but the price tag is a little outrageous. If i had 100+k in the bank to spend I could think of a few other things I would rather drop it on than this boat. just saying.

Last edited by dbrew; 09-11-2011 at 4:18 PM.
Old     (fifty)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-11-2011, 4:24 PM Reply   
*** i dont even have enough friends to fill this thing!!!! like the interior but have to agree with most on here, I dont make 1 mill a year to afford this ride. anything over 60K is a pipe dream. I have a house, kids to put thought school and a desire to buy gas.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-11-2011, 4:41 PM Reply   
People complaing about to much Bling on a X star are Idiot's, Your looking at the WRONG boat if you don't like Bling. That's like being a Judge at a Bikini Contest and then complaining about Fake Boob's. There are plenty of boats WITH OUT all the bell's and whistles for you critique. Not saying your opinion dosen't count but come on. IMO it's great to hear what everyone think's but IMO the guy with a 1980 Bayliner with a Monster tower mounted on it chiming in on somthing like this that they would NEVER buy is pointless. We are looking at Mastercrafts top of the line machine. If you don't think its gonna be over the top with Billet Aluminum and Crazy electronic's and be super expencieve then your stupid. My guess is this is gonna be close to $150 to $200K machine.

Look at the current line up of boat's from Nautique, Malibu, and MC. to me they are all very close in quality and bling. It's like comparing Porsche,BMW,Audi,Mercedes, All very cool can't go wrong with any of them. To me the New X Star is like the Bugatti Veryon of the wake boats. Pretty much over the top Crazy expencieve, exclucieve, Not for everyone, But still very cool. I think they did a great Job at twisting the mold as far as boat design go's. Is this boat for everyone NO is it cool as hell YES!
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-11-2011, 5:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
People complaing about to much Bling on a X star are Idiot's , Your looking at the WRONG boat if you don't like Bling. That's like being a Judge at a Bikini Contest and then complaining about Fake Boob's . There are plenty of boats WITH OUT all the bell's and whistles for you critique . Not saying your opinion dosen't count but come on. IMO it's great to hear what everyone think's but IMO the guy with a 1980 Bayliner with a Monster tower mounted on it chiming in on somthing like this that they would NEVER buy is pointless. We are looking at Mastercrafts top of the line machine. If you don't think its gonna be over the top with Billet Aluminum and Crazy electronic's and be super expencieve then your stupid . My guess is this is gonna be close to $150 to $200K machine.

Look at the current line up of boat's from Nautique, Malibu, and MC. to me they are all very close in quality and bling. It's like comparing Porsche,BMW,Audi,Mercedes, All very cool can't go wrong with any of them. To me the New X Star is like the Bugatti Veryon of the wake boats. Pretty much over the top Crazy expencieve , exclucieve , Not for everyone, But still very cool. I think they did a great Job at twisting the mold as far as boat design go's . Is this boat for everyone NO is it cool as hell YES!
Dude, seriously.

When you always post as if English is your second or third language it's pretty damn funny when you call people "idiot's" [sic] and tell them "your[sic} stupid."

p.s. The new Death Star looks cool.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-11-2011, 5:39 PM Reply   
It's great to see MC innovating. I like everything but the tower and the cigar boat headrests. What's the price?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-11-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
The rear end on this boat is a shot out of left field, where did this come from? I love looking at boats, i don't care what brand wake boat it is, I'm always interested to see what they have come up with. I get that MC wants to be the company changing the game, but that boats rear end is ugly, why is it round? the rest of the boats styling is sharp, look at the pickle fork!

it's like they have the guys from "west coat customs" ( i know you guys remember this old show from MTV!!) designing the interiors in these things. Granted it's kinda cool, but honestly how user friendly can it be? At some point, it's just easier to hit a rocker switch versus scrolling through a menu.

I understand that this is the "debut" boat and it will have all of there highest options, but there is just so much going on in the interior, and I really agree with the comment about the headrests and MC's whole Idea about transforming seating.....why make an effort to help passengers view riders and then add more obstruction? Way to many contradictions via gimmick.

Who's the head of Engineering at MC? I want your job!
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-11-2011, 5:47 PM Reply   
This is not MasterCrafts First Rodeo. They stated they wanted to take a wakeboard boat to the next level and knocked it out of the park. This is not for the masses. I think MasterCraft did an awesome job. the tower makes sense on this boat. My money says the other MasterCraft models will follow with the same rub rail line. Like David said, it reminds the older guys of a muscle car.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-11-2011, 6:47 PM Reply   
Can someone photoshop Xstar onto the drawing board? lol

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-11-2011, 7:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
People complaing about to much Bling on a X star are Idiot's, Your looking at the WRONG boat if you don't like Bling. That's like being a Judge at a Bikini Contest and then complaining about Fake Boob's. There are plenty of boats WITH OUT all the bell's and whistles for you critique. Not saying your opinion dosen't count but come on. IMO it's great to hear what everyone think's but IMO the guy with a 1980 Bayliner with a Monster tower mounted on it chiming in on somthing like this that they would NEVER buy is pointless. We are looking at Mastercrafts top of the line machine. If you don't think its gonna be over the top with Billet Aluminum and Crazy electronic's and be super expencieve then your stupid. My guess is this is gonna be close to $150 to $200K machine.

Look at the current line up of boat's from Nautique, Malibu, and MC. to me they are all very close in quality and bling. It's like comparing Porsche,BMW,Audi,Mercedes, All very cool can't go wrong with any of them. To me the New X Star is like the Bugatti Veryon of the wake boats. Pretty much over the top Crazy expencieve, exclucieve, Not for everyone, But still very cool. I think they did a great Job at twisting the mold as far as boat design go's. Is this boat for everyone NO is it cool as hell YES!
First off, try using a spellchecker... I think you need it, along with going back to highschool for English 1A.

This is just my opinion, not that others wont appreciate the "extreme bling", just way over the top for me. Most people want reliability, regardless of how much you spend on a boat... Mastercraft has introduced more items to fail on a boat, which means less time on the water and more headaches.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2011, 8:29 PM Reply   
Quote:

If mc is aiming at being the Bugatti Veyron of boats, then maybe they've hit the spot, i.e. .00001 percent of Americans can afford the boat. For the rest of us "idiots", this boat makes no sense.

-signed stupid guy who has a BMW, Porsche, and Nautique.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-11-2011, 8:57 PM Reply   
I'm not going to critique the boat , won't do any good as it's just plain ugly and there's no help for that mess!
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-11-2011, 9:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelspsp View Post
Beautiful Boat. well done MasterCraft. To all the haters. When BMW redesigned the 7 series about 7 years ago, more or less, everyone hated it. Now its welcomed. Tastes and styles change, you have to be ahead of the curve....
Except you're forgetting the fact that BMW has spent the last two redesigns of the 7 series toning down that car that "everyone hated." It doesnt matter how far ahead of the curve you are if its ugly. I think this boat boarders ugly, especially in white. Reverse shear and those styling elements belong on the sport cruisers they are currently used on, not a 24' towboat...
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-11-2011, 9:32 PM Reply   
Quote:

first, it is your opinion, but it's not a good one, in MY opinion. IF, and ONLY IF, this was the new x-45, then I would agree with you completely (except for the part where you think a guy with a 1980 bayliner giving his opinion is pointless... besides, according to your profile you have a little DD inboard, and since the new xstar is a big v-drive, is it pointless for you to chime in? I don't think so because your opinion has value). The x-45 is a big, blingy, big price wakeboat that does not have a top of the line wake or wave, but the older guys with money that have a family and like to wakeboard or surf and tube with their kids is stoked to pay $100k+ for that boat.

The x-star WAS, imo, the best wake to date, still very blingy, still very expensive, but it could be had for those that wanted THAT wake. Now MC takes that hull away, and replaces it with a boat that is 2 feet longer and $50K more expensive, im guessing. The wake may be equally awesome or even better, but now you just made it out of reach for even more of us. Now the dude that wants the big blingy boat will have 2 choices from MC; the x45 or the deathstar. Both will be comparable in price, same length, great fit n finish, great board racks and towers, same engines, available options and same/similar ballast. There will be only 3 differences; the look of them, the interior design, and the wake. The person who can afford either of these two boats most likely will not care about having a nice wake, or a bangin wake, so he has 2 really good options from MC. The person or rider that was looking at having a world class rampy wake and wants an MC has one option... the x-25. ( have heard good things about this wake, but its not the "xstar wake" and have not seen the pros choosing this boat over the xstar). So now this dude will have to get a used xstar or nothing at all. OR if he is set on buying a new boat, he will have to go to malibu and buy a loaded VLX that has a great rampy wake for $75k, or $50k on an A22 that has a great rampy wake.

Also, the headrests being in the way of watching a rider.... I doubt this will be the case. At riding speed the bow is up much higher than the stern, so I doubt the headrests will be a problem. we will know soon enough as soon as someone posts their experience on it

Last edited by johnny_defacto; 09-11-2011 at 9:38 PM. Reason: finishing post, was cut off
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-12-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
You don't want to get too far ahead of the curve or you'll run off the road.It's a boat some will like but most won't be able to afford.Big props though for pushing forward.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-12-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
Does anyone remember when MC introduced the pickle fork X-STAR. it replaced the original X-STAR but MC renamed the old X-STAR and continued to make money with it. We shall wait and see if MC does the same again. And again being affordable was not the goal with the new X-STAR. Which leads me to think the current 22' STAR isn't going anywhere....just a new name.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-12-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
From what I've heard from a dealer friend of mine, the 2004-2011 XStar hull is done.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-12-2011, 8:25 AM Reply   
Might not be going anywhere but Market Share WILL take a beating.With just about every other manufacturer selling a 22 footer for much,much less money it will be harder for sell numbers of X-Stars when their are so many less expensive choices.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-12-2011, 8:53 AM Reply   
i get a kick out of all the subjective arguments and arm-chair boat building/marketers that add/detract from these threads. not to say that many of the points are w/o merit, more so that MC, CC, Bu, SC, Mike Brendel, etc have all been building boats for a lifetime. i suspect most of us have not. the boat builders have teams of people whom gauge the market at large, not just as it applies to us keyboard warriors at ww.com and wb.com...

i do enjoy the casual observations that may reveal ergonomic oversights and anecdotal evidence that pushes the boat builders to compete in the production of more functional and safer products for all of us to enjoy. that is what will grow our experiences.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-12-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
Chattwake, could be true. Ive been wondering why it seems MC has been pushing the x-25 ....very sad tho....
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-12-2011, 9:41 AM Reply   
Would be 22' XStar buyers who can't swing for the New "DeathStar" will likely be pushed towards the X25. Could work out really well for MC....or not, time will tell.
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-12-2011, 10:26 PM Reply   
i thought the other chat on the star in wakeboarding was a good one but this one takes the cake! G, think we have similar views and some poeple might be takin to heart a little too much......i just feel like you cant have any beer on this boat though, just martinis......shaken not stirred
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-13-2011, 4:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakecumberland View Post
Would be 22' XStar buyers who can't swing for the New "DeathStar" will likely be pushed towards the X25. Could work out really well for MC....or not, time will tell.
+1

I don't see why MC feels the need to offer a model for every 6" of boat length from 20' to 28'.
Old     (knot2gud)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-13-2011, 7:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakereviews View Post
looks pretty bad a** to me!!!!
fact!!!
Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-13-2011, 9:45 AM Reply   
I absolutely love the interior!! the seating options and storage space really look nice. I do not care for the lines of the boat at all though!! Would i take one... hell ya!! will i ever be able to afford one... hell no!! or maybe in 20 years when it's fully depreciated out. lol
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-13-2011, 10:51 AM Reply   
i would love to see a graph chart of the last 5 years.
an overlay of the economy and average wake boat prices.
Old    readyaimfire            09-13-2011, 11:48 AM Reply   
This boats looks are growing on me day by day... Would I trade in my '09 xstar for this? No! My boat is perfect for ME. That's what this is all about. Find the boat that best suits YOU. No need to hate on anything else. I don't need 90% of the features on this boat. The LCD screens would last an hour in the 115 degree Arizona heat. However they r still cool, and someone else might really be able to use these.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
i would love to see a graph chart of the last 5 years.
an overlay of the economy and average wake boat prices.
Id like to see it.

Im curious to see a "non wake world" riders point of view as well. I feel like a lot of our comments are biased and coming from the same paradigm. Or maybe the project manager for MC's take on all of it. Why are we, as the consumer, always in the dark left wondering, someone there knows!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-13-2011, 2:55 PM Reply   
Lets just say Travis Moye is so stoked about this boat and excited to get his (most likely one of the first few too.) A guy who already has the 7.4 in his 11' boat. A guy who spends alot of time behind the wheel.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-13-2011, 3:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Lets just say Travis Moye is so stoked about this boat and excited to get his (most likely one of the first few too.) A guy who already has the 7.4 in his 11' boat. A guy who spends alot of time behind the wheel.
I am not saying he isn't or shouldn't be excited but isn't he employed or sponsered by Mastercraft? What do you expect him to say? "This boat is pretty cool but there is no way I would ever buy one, but since I am getting it for free I guess I can live with it."
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-13-2011, 4:35 PM Reply   
I agree with brett. The fact that travis or any other sponsored MC guy says how great it is, does not make it true or false, we will have to wait till the nitzels and chattwakes of ww get their hands on it.

What happens to the pros that are not given this boat, or cannot afford the price difference of upgrading from the x-25 they are given in order to get into a new xstar?

the following is speculation, because we all love to speculate

Their only other option is the x-25.... because no way will MC let one of their sponsored tour pro's ride around in the old xstar with their allegedly discontinued hull, even if they wanted to. Imagine the conversation: some guy: hey andrew, why do you still have a 2011 xstar, the new one has been out since last year. Andrew Adkison: The 12 xstar is too expensive, and the x-25 is not nearly as good of a wake as this xstar. Some guy: wow.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-13-2011, 5:28 PM Reply   
I understand what u guys r saying. We all do the same in our every day lives but even hearing other boat sponsored guys talk this boat up.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2011, 6:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Travis is stoked on a free boat to replace his free boat? The guy is a driving genius, and helps make these boats better, so aside from a free boat he's got time and work invested in these boats.

I hope he doesn't get one out at the Projects, that will makes the shores cave in even faster, and it will become a jet ski only/Sesitec only 3 lake site. Those lakes, like many throughout the nation, are not meant for a 24ft boat.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       09-14-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
At the boarding school, they already run an X-Star and a SANTE 230 so a foot longer boat isn't going to make much, if any, difference. They have multiple lakes at the Projects and don't run boats on all of them.
Old     (Jrod)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-14-2011, 1:25 PM Reply   
Another walk-through

link if it doesn't embed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFaAkZ2O7pY

Last edited by Jrod; 09-14-2011 at 1:29 PM. Reason: fix video
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-14-2011, 2:01 PM Reply   
couple of other observations:

---the windshield is cool, but will the concave walk thru potentially distort your vision when compared to the convex sides? most manufacturers of sunglasses will try to sell you lenses that are at least contoured to your eyes cylindrically, if not spherically.
---does anyone sit down to put their board on and jump off face first? i always teach people to stand on the board facing forward, which gives them more leverage using their bodyweight, and keeps the board from squirming around and into my gelcoat. i am sure the answer is yes, but it is funny to see Zane talk about sitting down to put your board on, then slide off the contoured platform facing forward hahahah...
---the storage looks great, but when the compartments are covered by huge seat bottoms, then you potentially need to have several people stand up just to lift one seat bottom to access the storage. having more segmented seating surfaces would allow easier access forcing less people to move into an already crowded space....
----this goes for all manufactures: if you refuse to put lean backs on the sides, at least build the back of the drivers seat so that the starboard side passenger has a place to rest his back.

overall, the boat is growing on me, minus the "form over function" bubbles on the sundeck.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-14-2011, 2:07 PM Reply   
I like all the conjecture about "people that were going to buy an XStar won't be able to afford the new one..."

Chances are, if you are going to spend $100k+ on a wakeboat you aren't at the absolute top of your budget and will spend whatever it takes to get that nameplate. If you are maxing yourself out to buy one, maybe you should step back and re-think things. This isn't a price point boat, why would they build it that way?

Last edited by ian_ashton; 09-14-2011 at 2:13 PM.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-14-2011, 3:36 PM Reply   
first off id like to say congrats to MC on making another great x star hull, im sure there will be much progress to come from this hull and wake

but id like to rant a bit

this is not really a riders boat, its very frilly and i feel like it cant decide on its identity, it has the sun dek of a cigarett boat, helm of a fighter jet and, and seating like a cobalt. the previous star was just a riders boat with a bit traditional MC style and bling but this is just too over the top for my taste, if you like and can afford it then cool, have fun, but id rather have 2 tige z3s, 3 MBs, 3 Axis, etc than pay the price.

also i am irritated that MC blasted Tige, Bu, MB, and CC in a series of ads back in 07, for being behind the times or simply imitating, but theres really nothing that new and exciting here, yes it was implemented in a new way but thats the same thing they blasted tige for a picklefork implemented in a new way. They have flip around seating now but they blasted cc for being behind the times. if they were behind the times whyd you just implement similar features just now in 2012? if tige was just copying then why does your boat now have a trash can, std equipment on a tige for like 5 years now. same goes for the seat in the walkway too straight outta SUPRA, you cant rip companies apart 5 years ago and then copy them on your latest boat and call it 8 years of r and d.... The hull itself is a huge innovation, im not knocking the hull just the mentality that seems to come from the MC camp. those series of ads have made me lose respect for the company

now with all that said, i am finally begining to understand this boat. It wasnt meant for any of us. At all. There will be a very select few who can afford the boat, and even fewer that will be able to explore the wake to its full potential. if youre doing 1260s then buy one, if not then save some cash because MOST people will enjoy, and have more than enough wake on the 230/z3/242/x-25/a22/f21/vlx/11 XSTAR etc etc for much less all with equal amounts of bells and whistles. this boat was made for pro wakeboarders(get one for free) and people that have too much money to know what to do with. thats my 2c, not trying to bash the hull or start anything
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-14-2011, 5:21 PM Reply   
I think I'm beginning to understand the six figures! Nothing forgotten here! And all top notch! Wow!
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       09-14-2011, 5:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelspsp View Post
To all the haters. When BMW redesigned the 7 series about 7 years ago, more or less, everyone hated it. Now its welcomed. Tastes and styles change, you have to be ahead of the curve....
People still hate that 7 series. BMW had to do an emergency mid cycle redesign (much more than a mid cycle refresh) which was pushed forward because people hated the original Bangle design so much. It was only after the mid cycle "refresh" that people started to like the car. The original Bangle 7 series is still hated. The designer, Chris Bangle, was moved into a different position at BMW and he eventually quit (read BMW made his life miserable and wanted him out).

I'm a car junkie as well as a wake boat junkie. My wife loves my "cheap" hobbies

Last edited by tre; 09-14-2011 at 5:33 PM. Reason: .
Old     (mfenton)      Join Date: May 2009       09-14-2011, 6:00 PM Reply   
Is MC going to offer a 50 year loan program to afford this spaceship? Looks like a race boat with the head rest on the rear lockers...
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-14-2011, 6:23 PM Reply   
Do you sees the height of that wake... its fuuuucking knee hight hahaha unreal

got the pic from alliance
Attached Images

Old     (masterDraft)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-14-2011, 7:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
---does anyone sit down to put their board on and jump off face first?
most everyone i know that wakeboards on my boat sits down facing away from the driver to put their board. after they are strapped in, we toss the rope out, get rid of the slack, then the rider "facing forward" inches their way off the platform, holding the rope, and slides into the water. some regulars, sit down to put their board on (away from the driver), than switches directions and slide into the water. either way, the MC platform helps you slide into the water (how many persons have you seen try to "jump" off the platform only to learn their board "sticks"....please note our platform is usually sunk). we teach approx 5-10 persons per year to wakeboard.....in which case, you are right, they enter the water back first while we hold the rope. either way, MC designed the platform correctly....meaning it's easier to slide off of. only newbies put their board on facing the bow.

Last edited by masterDraft; 09-14-2011 at 7:39 PM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-14-2011, 7:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterDraft View Post
most everyone i know that wakeboards on my boat sits down facing away from the driver to put their board. after they are strapped in, we toss the rope out, get rid of the slack, then the rider "facing forward" inches their way off the platform, holding the rope, and slides into the water. some regulars, sit down to put their board on (away from the driver), than switches directions and slide into the water. either way, the MC platform helps you slide into the water (how many persons have you seen try to "jump" off the platform only to learn their board "sticks"....please note our platform is usually sunk). we teach approx 5-10 persons per year to wakeboard.....in which case, you are right, they enter the water back first while we hold the rope. either way, MC designed the platform correctly....meaning it's easier to slide off of. only newbies put their board on facing the bow.
I don't understand this at all. Maybe back in the day of ultra sucks and other high wraps but now everything has laces and are easy to get in and out of. It is easier in my opinion to just put the board on while standing and facing the front of the boat. That being said I think it is kind of cool that they designed the platform like they did so it is easy to slide into the water. I just think the seat is useless, looks terrible and is just another useless feature their salesmen can talk about and they can charge more money for. How many next to useless features does this boat have on it? It just seems like they are coming up with features, just so they have more then anybody else.

I also don't understand what you are saying most people on your boat does. You say they sit facing away from the front of the boat to put the bindings on but then are facing towards the bow when entering the water. Do they flip around after the board is on? Don't understand that at all.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2011, 7:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason95gt View Post
At the boarding school, they already run an X-Star and a SANTE 230 so a foot longer boat isn't going to make much, if any, difference. They have multiple lakes at the Projects and don't run boats on all of them.
But they used to...... and then they couldn't use lake 3 anymore..... as the boats/wakes continue to get bigger their timeframe of using any of the lakes will diminish faster and faster.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-14-2011, 8:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
how many persons have you seen try to "jump" off the platform only to learn their board "sticks"....please note our platform is usually sunk
zero. my platform is never under water for somebody that is still trying to figure out how to get off the platform...seems like a waste of gas to tote the extra weight for a newb that doesnt need the wake. i teach a lot of people each year also to do it facing forward. there is no right or wrong way. i prefer may way because 1) it is imposserous to ding the gel coat when pressing down on the board with all of your weight and 2) it is much more difficult to smack your cabeza by falling over your toe side edge in to the boat than it is by falling back over your heel side edge in to the boat. YMMV.

back to your regularly scheduled programming, hahaha, i just thought the video was funny.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-14-2011, 8:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
.... only newbies put their board on facing the bow.
Nobody I ride with sits on the little cut out seat of my boat when putting on their board, they stand and face the bow, including myself. Then we throw the handle out at idle to get the line stretched out and, just in case, knot free.

Not that it matters, to each his own, as they say, but everybody I ride with are really good and have been riding for years.

I love the cutout seat on my transom. It makes it easier for everybody, especially my 2 year old to climb in and out. Also, when we have a new or young rider, I can sit there and help them put on their board while they face me.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       09-14-2011, 8:27 PM Reply   
I am not sure what I think of the X Star yet. I'm still letting it sink in.

However, I do find it pretty funny that you all do some sort of gymnastics to get off the platform and into the water. Maybe we are strange (highly possible) but we always sit down on the platform with our feet in the water and put the board on sitting down. You simply slide into the water because you are already sitting on the platform. I find that is the easiest for us and the noobs. Me and my crew have been doing it that way for over 10 years. I tried it your ways a couple times and I felt like a 3 legged turtle trying to get into the water.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-14-2011, 9:52 PM Reply   
Look, I don't care how you guys strap in, strap on, get in, fall in, or whatsoever. Just don't ding the boat!
¿¡Comprendé!?
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-15-2011, 4:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
But they used to...... and then they couldn't use lake 3 anymore..... as the boats/wakes continue to get bigger their timeframe of using any of the lakes will diminish faster and faster.
The Projects has 3 lakes. As far as I understand, lake 3 was never used by The Boarding School for boat. Lake 3 is where the System and rails are located. Jet Ski pulls are also available on that lake. I do see how it would be tought to turn around a 24' boat though. Its pretty tight turning radius as it is with the current Star.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-15-2011, 7:54 AM Reply   
I have a feeling the swim step seat is more then just a seat.

Maybe it takes a current Xstar owner to know this but if you are running a slammed star and pull completely off plain at 25mph you are going to swap the back of the boat like crazy. Water will come all the way up to the bow walk through, super fun to do the first ride of the season when the water is 45 degrees and you drench everyones cell phone.

So to get of plain you either have to come off painfully slow or bump the throttle up a bit before the wash hits the back of the boat. Guess you could power turn to solve the problem

So my guess and it's only a guess is the the swim step seat acts as block to prevent water from rushing up the walk through and into the boat.

I always put my board on facing the bow so I can do a wrapped 3 on the way into the water , my crew gives style points for your platform dismount.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-15-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
And ya they don't run boats at the projects on lake three
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       09-15-2011, 8:14 AM Reply   
I don't understand why a handful of people are talking about how crazy this wake is and it isn't for the masses. The masses don't weight their boat with 4000lbs of ballast. it would be great to run stock ballast or no ballast at all and still have a great wake. The current Star needs additional weight and there is the problem. With more lakes becoming ballast free, just think if this had a better wake with no ballast than the current star with an additional 1000 pounds. That would be great! Again remember that the boat and ballast in the new Star is over 1000lbs more so I am hoping that the wake is very nice stock.

Snowslider, I agree with you on the step that it most likely solves the problem of the wave coming over the back too. It is wild that most of the MC boats have a curved back that helps prevent this but the star didn't. A friends X-15 never has this problem due to how the back is molded.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-15-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveronix199 View Post
Do you sees the height of that wake... its fuuuucking knee hight hahaha unreal

got the pic from alliance
You realize he's leaning at almost a 45 degree angle towards the camera, right? I bet the wake is sick with that much weight and everything but saying the wake is knee high in that picture is inaccurate as its also hard to tell if he is in the trough or still riding down the wake
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2011, 5:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakecumberland View Post
The Projects has 3 lakes. As far as I understand, lake 3 was never used by The Boarding School for boat. Lake 3 is where the System and rails are located. Jet Ski pulls are also available on that lake. I do see how it would be tought to turn around a 24' boat though. Its pretty tight turning radius as it is with the current Star.
The Boarding School has not been out there for very long, yes lake 3 is rails and is now the Sesitec. I'm talking since the initial lease of the lake for wakeboard instruction. I won't go into the entire history, but I can assure you they used to run the wakeboard boat on lake 3, in fact, that was their main lake. With continual use of large wakes at that site, it will need dredged or likely just ditched for boat riding overall, won't be able to pass the peninsula.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-16-2011, 3:13 AM Reply   
id like to see the wake without additional sac's sitting in the bow etc... i always figured there had to be a way to engineer a boat that can sink down based on hull design that naturally threw a massive wake.. seeing extra weight in the test boat maybe proves otherwise. maybe we should make boats that naturally sink and then find a way to add flotation and put that on a switch instead. reverse engineer these things. nobody wants sacs laying on seats or floors and hassling with that if they don't have to...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-16-2011, 3:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
id like to see the wake without additional sac's sitting in the bow etc... i always figured there had to be a way to engineer a boat that can sink down based on hull design that naturally threw a massive wake.. seeing extra weight in the test boat maybe proves otherwise. maybe we should make boats that naturally sink and then find a way to add flotation and put that on a switch instead. reverse engineer these things. nobody wants sacs laying on seats or floors and hassling with that if they don't have to...
Yeah Tige has had that boat for years.Convex V hull.It also gets bigger when weighted.On the plus side Tige uses less fuel then similar sized wake boats.With the Taps it also rides smooth in rough water.Let the hating begin.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-16-2011, 5:01 AM Reply   
Pretty sure this thread said the new STAR...when tige comes out with a new boat you.can have your time to rant about tige and how they are the best thing since sliced bread....you like your boat, I'm glad!!! But you don't have to find a way to put it into every other thread on wakeworld!....I feel like if I met you in person and we were talking about a football game you would somehow find a way to bring your blue tige into it.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-16-2011, 5:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
Pretty sure this thread said the new STAR...when tige comes out with a new boat you.can have your time to rant about tige and how they are the best thing since sliced bread....you like your boat, I'm glad!!! But you don't have to find a way to put it into every other thread on wakeworld!....I feel like if I met you in person and we were talking about a football game you would somehow find a way to bring your blue tige into it.
Tige does have a new boat ,the Z3.I'm sure you'll hear plenty about it if you can read and comprehend.I didn't bring my Tige into this thread.I explained the convex V hull design,which they have had for years.As far as Football goes i don't see how a boat is relevant.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-16-2011, 5:40 AM Reply   
OIf YOU can read and comprehend the title of this thread TIGE is not relevant. d the topic of this thread TIGE is not relevant. He asked about a massive wake not loaded down. Your tige wake is FAR from massive with no weight. Yes, they do have a new boat, so why don't you hop on over to that thread and flood it.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-16-2011, 5:50 AM Reply   
Wow my phone went crazy in that reply
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-16-2011, 5:54 AM Reply   
Maybe if I had a tige it wouldn't have done that