Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (supra_21v)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
I bought a Supra 21v July 2006 and have had nothing but problems. Oil hose cracked twice, water pump hose, alternator twice, perfect pass going out, speedometer, and plenty more. Been towed in 7 times that I can think of. I take it to get fixed and something else happens. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
sorry to hear about that. its not having all those problems because its a supra. every boat manufacturer has their problems. you just got one of the boats that us in the boat industry call "one of those boats". every now and then a boat will come in that just has one problem after another. like i said its not just supra, its all the brands. all the problems should end soon.
Old     (supra_21v)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
yeah but the thing is the problems have kept me off the water more than i get on the water. I have never seen a boat break down every other time its on the water. Oil hoses breaking? My carpet is messed up AGAIN. Cracking in the shaft housing? Very poorly made and they are trying to say sorry. I have been working with the public since I waited tables when I was 18. Every job I had the customer was the #1 priority. I have been way to patient.
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-22-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
I'm really really interested to hear more about this boat.

The same problems that you mentioned in the other thread were prevelent in mine. It damn near sunk because of the water intake hose coming off and my not know what was wrong. Then PP quit, then the stereo quit, then the wakeplate, the board racks, ect. The battery was dead EVERY WEEK even after running it through the week.

If it makes you feel better I have an 07 22SSV now and I have had NO problems. I even let it sit all winter with the battery connected to test it. Guess what? Its still charged right now.

Its just the boat. I hope like hell you don't have my old one. (Ends up he doesn't)
Old     (supra_21v)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
So what did you do? I refuse to pay more money for a newer model or sell and lose money. I bought a product and they should stand behind it. I tried to get ahold of people from skiers choice a year ago but never could. It was always the customer service people saying sorry, yeah thats not good and so on. Cant seem to get anyone that has any pull. Skiers Choice has really, really disappointed me.
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-22-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
Go over to the Supra boards and get in touch with Rick Tinker. :-)

I am not sure if he's still around, but he's a good guy.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
your dealer should be getting almost all if not every one of your problems covered under warranty. if they're not i would try and get the dealers rep phone number. it always helps talking to a rep or someone high up at the factory. also if your batteries are dying out all the time you must have an open circuit somewhere in the boat. even though the boat is off something is staying on. did you have any stereo work done after you bought the boat. a lot of times people install stereo stuff and do it wrong so the batteries drain out. also do u have a battery cut off switch that would be a quick and easy way to stop the batteries from dying.
Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-22-2008, 9:58 PM Reply   
Been there done that. Ultimately you need to voice your concern to the manager/owner of the dealer. If the service manager is not getting things done for you than you need to talk to the owner. Explain you are fed up and want your individual issues addressed and fixed. Supra is not more prone to problems than any other brand. Bottom line is that your dealer will make or break your experience. There's only so much SC can do from their factory in Tennessee. Smack that dealer around. :-)
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       04-23-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
J McLemore,

So sorry to hear of your issues. I will have Rob Loucks, Customer Service manager, contact you via email, today(April 23). Hopefully we can get you headed in the right direction.

My Apologies,

Rick Tinker
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-23-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
Quality customer service right there at its finest once again.

Thanks to Wakeworld.

Props to you Rick Tinker.
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-23-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
J

What year is your boat? Did you buy it new or used? If you purchased it used how many hours did it have on it? How many hours does it have on it now? How often do you go to the lake? Is it stored outside, outside covered up, in a open carport, or a enclosed building?

I know it's a lot of questions. No one likes to have problems. A boat that sets without use will have more problems than one that is used every weekend. Setting and not being used is worst than using it.

(Message edited by jpuckett on April 23, 2008)
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-23-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
After reading this thread this morning I knew it wouldn't be long before someone from Skier's Choice stepped in and commented, and it was the big man himself. I'm on my second Supra and have to say that I have been very pleased with the quality of the boat and the company. I'm sorry you have been having problems with yours, every company has a lemon every now and then, its how the company and dealer handles it that makes the difference. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-23-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
J McLemore,

I bought my boat, have bought my last (two) from the local houston supra dealer. They will/have bent over backwards to help me in the past. I'm surprised Chris isn't taking care of you better. Their new service manager was a great addition. You have arguably the best dealer in the houston area. If you ever need help on Lake Houston, look for the red/black 22 near the dam.
Old     (supra_21v)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-24-2008, 8:52 PM Reply   
I posted this on another site. It sums up alot of the questions.

Sandm brings up the point of the "whole story". Well I am sure most of everyone that has posted here is curious to my next response. I have been super busy with work and school. For starters Wakebrad, the payments have absolutely nothing to do with me wanting to get rid of the boat. I spend as much time on the water as I possibly can and that is the reason I made the decision to purchase a boat. I love being on the water. I am totally aware that problems do happen. Like boardracks, wakeplate, or speedometer or perfect pass every now and then. I have been employed with Sprint since 2005 so I am used to dealing firsthand with customers with every possible problem. I understand that staying calm and being persistent usually gets you further. I decided to post here because the problems keep happening and I keep being told that it was fixed. I have given the dealer way too many chances to "make it right". Getting involved with Skier's Choice? JONYB it's funny that you say SC will not call you back. I sent an email to the customer service manager in June 12th of 2007. Here it is.
I purchased a 2006 Supra 21V July 1, 2006. Since then I have had nothing but problems including times where I was worried about my safety and the safety of others on board. These problems have consisted of 2 alternators, a split hose off of the water pump, a cracked hose off of the oil filter, replacing perfect pass, speedometer replaced (still not working), perfect pass replaced (still not working), deph finder replaced, transom light replaced, port ballast filling on own (was replaced), packing nut on housing around drive shaft was off and the housing was cracked causing water to come in, wakeplate motor replaced, replaced carpet and deck skin due to oil hose spraying everywhere, replaced belt, replaced starter, and replaced the amp to the speakers. Before I even tied a rope onto the tower i noticed a crack in the gelcoat where the tower was screwed in too tight.

And no response? A new Supra owner that is having problems like this. People buy boats based on recommendations and what do you think I would say if someone asks how I like my boat? I also called and left him numerous messaged asking him to please call back (in 2007). Since then I have had another oil hose break and spray oil everywhere, perfect pass replaced 2 more times, depthfinder replaced again, speedometer 2 more times and a few other fun things that I had to take it in for. My carpet is ruined again from oil. The hose connecting my front sack was pinched and is leaking water when filled. After the first time the oil hose was "fixed" I was eager to get on the water. It was a Saturday and I couldn't get out of work to pick up my boat so I had to get a friend to pick it up for me. I got up the next morning early, stoked about getting flat water. I grabbed the water hose so I could run the motor and check for leaks and there was no oil hose on the motor. I had to wait until they were open on Tuesday to talk to anyone. Now what would have happened if I had not been taught growing up to double check repairs? My whole concern was possibly losing compression to the motor and having even more issues in the future. I talked to Indmar and after going back and forth with them and the dealer, and the dealer and Indmar, Indmar offered to replace the long block. They would still be using things off the old motor like alternator, starter, manifolds, ect. After what i have seen I am not comfortable at all with the motor being taken apart. I bought a brand new boat that has never worked properly. The last straw for me to get on here was last Sunday when perfect pass went out and i had no digital or analog speedometer. Good thing I posted on wakeworld and Tinker saw. He wrote that he would have the customer service manager call me. I bet he didn't know I tried to contact the manager in June of 2007 or earlier this week. Would I ever had gotten a call if he was not told to call me by the owner of the company? They called and didn't offer anymore than Indmar. FINALLY, trade in? Sell? Upside down? You lose money as soon as you drive off, EVERYONE knows that. Here is my point. I paid over 50k and a new 21v is over 60k. I will stick with 50k and 60k to make this really easy. I pay 50k and lets pretend I somehow get 45k. I lost 5k. Now I buy a 2008 and pay 60k, which is 10k more than I want to spend. That means I have to spend 15k more because I bought a bad boat. Do we need to even go over trade in????? I can guarantee my boat has been out of service for longer than 4 months without even looking at the repair invoices. I am not even going to get into how many times I have been towed in, how many times people have taken off or come into town to ride with me and broken down, how many times I have made the 70 mi round trip to get it fixed, or how flat out embarassed I am in front of a boat full of my friends that thought last time was the last time. Maybe EJ is right, I am asking for way to much for them to take it back.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-25-2008, 7:42 AM Reply   
J Mclemore
Good luck to you man. I sincerely mean that. I know how you probably feel. My boat is my baby and I want to be on it as much as possible. SC is a stand up company and sometimes any company might produce a lemon or a boat that sat around with no action like your boat before it was sold. The steps of the right people being involved has just begun, so I would kick back and see how they handle it before you air more dirty laundry. I completely understand your frustration, but make sure you contain it to get the best possible resolve. Noone wants to help someone that does not appreciate it and will continue to air their laundry after the point. Also, it sounds as if a lot of this is your dealer and not SC. From what Adam said it is a stand up dealer so hopefully they will step up and be your first line support, but I am confident SC will if not. Good luck and I can safely bet you will come back on and praise them for their support afterwards. If not, I am sorry for the problems you have had.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-25-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
wow, that is one long list of problems on a new boat!!!!....

Hope everything works out for you. Good luck!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-25-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
Wow that is the longest list I have ever heard of on any boat, what a pos, good luck to you, hope SC takes care of this for you!!
Old     (sks625)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-25-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
If they don't take care of you, they are wrong!!! There are too many people on here spending tons of money on their product. Boats like supra, mc, moomba ect.. are too expensive for problems like that. Take care of him SC or we can not buy again!!!
Old     (mim3)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-25-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
Boat should be replaced under warranty at no cost to owner.
Old     (analdine)      Join Date: May 2006       04-25-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
Just give up.....
Fix the boat.....
And sell it.......
They have a history of dumping on their customers.......
Check this out......

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/464158.html
Old     (analdine)      Join Date: May 2006       04-25-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
Is this the same Rick Tinker?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
So JMcLemore it's now the 25th, did Skiers Choice every contact you after Tinker's post??
Old     (frr)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-26-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
Keep posting your "dirty laundry" until you get it resolved, sounds like thats your only leverage. btw what a joke I feel for ya man.
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-26-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear about the supra, I believe you have all the documentation, have you contacted your state consumer affairs dept or the atty general. They could assit. also write a formal letter to the company stating the problem and what they should do to resolve it. make sure everything is in writing, check with the state they might have a lemon law that covers " bad products". I know that based on your experience, I won't be buying a supra. }
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-26-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
I just picked up a 06 Supra 20SSV and now im scared as hell! Hope it all works out for you.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-27-2008, 5:39 AM Reply   
ANAL dine
You should read through that whole post before posting that. Ronia did not transfer the hull warranty at time of purchase period. There are several people on here that don't beleive in paying for a transfer of warranty.

I find it hard to believe that the Houston dealer is not taking care of you. They have been nothing but great to me. As for Skiers Choice they went above and beyond for me.

I'm sorry to hear of you're problems. These are things that can and do happen to other manufactures. The manufacture does not make the things listed that are breaking. I would go talk to Chris Rinker at the dealer and see what he can do for you.
Old     (analdine)      Join Date: May 2006       04-27-2008, 6:21 AM Reply   
Aaron,
I did read the whole post, I just don't see how a piece of paper changes the fact they the end product was crap.

And to be honest after reading both of these post im not sure if SC and Rick Tinker would have stood behind Ronia if she had transfered the warranty.

My whole problem with Ronias situation, is that they did not offer to repair the boat. My God how much could it have cost a boat company to re gel coat the hull of her boat. It seems to me that they would have made it back in sales.

But now is crunch time, sales are way down, and the type of customer service that SC has given in the past will shine brighter than ever.

I know with out a doubt that the entry level boats are less expensive for a reason. But in both of these cases I can see how they could be risking life's, and that won't fly for long.

I think that by now SC could have sent a tech to Ronia, to see what is wrong with her hull (at the least) But all they did was say " Sorry you did not transfer the warranty, We are out of here."

And in J's Case come pick up a new boat, before someone dies.
Instead he gets " I will have a Customer Service manager email you.

J Like I said before Fix it and dump it. Or take a cruise and leave the plug out.

There is a reason SC sticker for 10k-20k less than other brands.

(Message edited by Analdine on April 27, 2008)
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-27-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
J,
Did you ever hear anything back from anyone? Give me a call!!!!!!!
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-27-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
Dam sorry to hear about all the crap you have went thru. We were seriously looking at supra before we finally decided on MC, When we test drove an 07ss the thing shook like crazy when going 10-25mph. I asked the sales guru what that was and he stated I dont notice anything., We next test drove a few MC's with no issues and havent had one single issue with our new X, knock on wood.
Im happy we didnt go with supra since I have heard alot of bad stuff on the dealer here in MN not taking care of their customers. I guess it goes to show dealers make or break the experience.

IMO- SC- should give you a new boat no questions asked-why doesnt this Rick guy just get it taken care of him self. IF they dont take care of you, I would trade that POS and get a MC,BU or CC
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       04-27-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
Anal dine,

Yes it is the same Rick Tinker. And yes we have been in touch with Mr. McLemore since my post. He has every reason to be upset and it is our job to stand behind our product. My email is Rtinker@skierschoice.com should it be of need.

Sincerely,

Rick
Old     (analdine)      Join Date: May 2006       04-27-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
It is no need to me since, I would not own one of your boats (after the way people on here have said about their product)

But I would make one suggestion.
Go out into your plant find the employee for the crap these people are dealing with and fire him.

Sugestion #2 STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT ....
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-27-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
ANAL dine,
I have read both strings completely and I can honestly say you are some piece of work. SC is a stand up company and Rick Tinker is a stand up guy and if you are too immature or ignorant to understand that, go faceplant. End of story.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-27-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
I would agree they should have done more for Ronia. I do think they did offer to cover some of the cost if I'm not mistaken. At the same time they were not obligated too. That is why they offer the warranty transfer. Most people say ahh you don't need that warranty. Then after the purchase and for some reason down the road when you need it. People cry about it being a bad product because they did not get the warranty. My experience with SC/Rick Tinker has been great. They offer a great product. I'm on my second Supra and if I get another boat it will most likely be another Supra.
Old     (sks625)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-27-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
"There is a reason SC sticker for 10k-20k less than other brands."

What kind of boat do you own ANAL dine? I'm guessing, MC from your cockiness!
Supra and Moomba do make quality product. Read your history on the company. Don't boat bash or company bash on this thread. Its not what this tread is for. Its about making a point known from a user who's having problems with their boat. No matter what brand or company. If you can't accept that then go to another site so that all of your boat bashing cronies can talk among each other like children.
Old     (analdine)      Join Date: May 2006       04-27-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
I have a Tige, I choose not to spend the extra cash, on a MC or a CC. But don't ask me if I think they are worth the cash because they are, You get what you pay for!
The only bashing im doing is on the SC reps who choose to walk away from their customers problems.

Did you not read J's post he E-mailed them and called repeatetly, and they never responded!

I bet you could get better customer service out of Bayliner.

Im not here to bash anyones boat, I love them all, But if someone on this site is about to purchase a boat, they need to know how SC deals with their problems.

Im sure all boats have issues at some point and time, but not returning crys for help is sad.

And as far as reading about the history of a company, who cares? If they don't take care of the problems my wakeboard brothers are having who cares.

The only reason you even posted is because you are tring to make yourself feel better, about what you ride in. ( And thats fine) You are not the one having all the problems J and Ronia are.

SC can build 10 million perfect boats, but what makes them a good company is customer service. And when you don't return calls or e-mails, that is crap.

So go ahead and stand up for your brand all you want, but you know that Tinker bell telling his customer service rep to return a phone call is sad, he should have said "I will get to the bottom of this, and find a new customer service rep." Cause this whole thing is out of hand...
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-27-2008, 5:08 PM Reply   
So Anal Dine, do you get what you pay for in coolers?

What is up with the “Tinker bell”? Love people who get lippy online…..with nobody to respond to face to face, just a keyboard and a computer screen…..

Mr. McLemore, like I said in the other thread, I hope you and SC can come to a resolution that will leave you satisfied.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-27-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
ANAL dine
Don't say the other brands are worth the extra cash. They have the same kind of problems. Just a few weeks ago there was a member who had hull blisters on his 1 or 2 yr old boat. Correct Craft repaired the hull for him and as part of the deal he was not suppose to tell anyone about the issue. The worst part is the owner said he could see all of the repairs.

Pay extra money to keep you're mouth shut. Not me. How about the Malibu that had a layer of water trapped in the hull that froze and was discovered when installing a perfect pass? Maybe thats what you pay extra for. Every boat manufacture has its problems . When I first joined this board there was a big issue with a members Tige hull.

I think I could point out something about EVERY manufacture and the customer service. Why? Why would you want to do that? Just tell what you're experience was and leave it at that. You're running you're mouth and pushing the issue more than the owner of the boat.
Old     (analdine)      Join Date: May 2006       04-27-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
Why cant you get over the fact that this is the same brand of boat you own?

Move on, it is all about service, you just mentioned 3-4 that were fixed by the boat co.

J's and Ronias were not.

Move on
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-27-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
ANAL dine,
At about this point, I'm guessing Tige wishes you weren't an owner - you certainly don't represent an informed owner. You are beyond being a tool. SC has stepped up as much as any other company. If you can't recognize that, stop posting.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-27-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
I can name more than a few that were not fixed. You must be one of those people that decline warranty and then CRY when some thing goes wrong. All you have done is form an opinion from 3-4 peoples bad experience. If I can find you 3-4 bad experiences on other brands Tige,CC,Bu,MC. Will you bad mouth those brands as well? If so I will get started on some research and send you pm on what I find. I do own a Supra and it has been great!! Supra is the best boat for me it has more of what I like than any other boat.
Old     (supra_21v)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-28-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
Yes skier's choice has contacted me and wants to fix the issues I am having. They want to get together with Indmar and personally work on the boat. My problem is I had tried to get in touch with them last year and no response. Then a couple of times this year. It took a web post to get a result.
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-28-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
J McLemore, you know what they say about the squeaky wheel! I sure hope it works out for you. this is a great opportunity to get your boat fixed the way you want it.
Recommend you write up everything that you want fixed. Again, document everything until it gets resolved. stay professional and don't let your emotions get to you. Hey, if it takes a web post to get their attention, so be it. tell us how it works out, of course thats if they allow you to...
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-28-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
J, I had some problems with my '06 as well. They'll hook you up. It is hard to get in touch with someone there, but once they are aware of your issues, it will all be good. I had some suspicious gelcoat cracks on my hull. They had someone fix them the first time and new ones came back. They decided to take the boat back and replace the hull. It was an inconvenience, but they set me up with a few goodies to ease the pain. They'll make it right.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       04-28-2008, 9:59 PM Reply   
ANAL Dine, having been a manager of sorts for a few years now, I can tell you from experience I don't talk in public about what actions I've taken to correct personnel issues. Mr. Tinker did not get where he is at by being a poor manager. Having said that, I would not expect him to post what actions he has taken internally on a public forum such as this. I feel pretty confident he is taking care of any housekeeping issues needing attention at Skiers Choice.

J McLemore, I believe you do have some boat issues that need attention and based on the information you provided should have been addressed before now. Good luck and I'm sure SC will make it right.