Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-05-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
Suggestions anyone? lets throw some ideas out there and get something going.

suggestions so far:

1. satire or irony theme
2. Street portraits, not with a tele lens
3. Holga film shots,

lets brainstorm
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-05-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-05-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
slow shutter speed
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-05-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
hmm slow shutter speed/ motion blur picture might be good
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-05-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
nude photos
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-05-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
Multi-shot panoramas
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-05-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
I like the street shot. I am not sure portrait, but just something walking the street....

Wildlife is cool, but maybe difficult for some....

Whatever it is, I hope to participate.
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-05-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
nick i think you are onto something, lets make it a continuation of last month

NUDE SELF PORTRAITS!!!
haha okay maybe not

Bakes, Pans could good but not everyone is going to have a stiching proram. maybe there are some free programs out there??? could do 360 pans too. that way location is key, you need something worth shooting in all directions
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-05-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
although i'm a big fan of panos, keep in mind wakeworld's image size restrictions. viewing panos in here would suck.
Old     (mroy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-05-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
long exposure/motion blur sound like fun...
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-05-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
I want to play this round! Wildlife can be interesting, long exposure sounds fun.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-06-2008, 5:56 AM Reply   
how 'bout macro shots? not that i have a macro lens or anything.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-06-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
Josh, how bout you pick one and lets go with it. Even if you have to throw all the ideas in a hat and pick on. Probably would be the best way to go about this.

Nude Self Portraits sounds fun but my roommates think I am already weird enough. Haha!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-06-2008, 5:15 PM Reply   
Infra red
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-07-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
Put me under the gun why dont ya.
Alright the most popular vote seems to be the motion/blur idea.

i am going to put some restrictions on it tho.
lets make it a moving panning shot. it can be a car or a sports or whatever. set the shutterspeed slow and pan with the subject to imply motion.

this kind of pulls us away from standing up high with a tripod and taking a picture of streaking cars. although it looks neat it wont really test your skills.

panning can be difficult so hopefully it will challenge everyone a little bit and make us better photographers.

entries are taken untill april 07, and on april 8th we will start critiques.

happy shooting
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-07-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
sick idea!
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-07-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
First time posting to a challange. I was just playing around with motion blur this last week up at the mountain.

blur

It's a little blownout due to the bright conditions and slower shutter speed. I guess I would need a filter to limit the light more, I had the aperature stopped all the way down to f22?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-08-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
So what's the maximum shutter speed? I don't think IS should be allowed either.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-08-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
I agree...no IS. That way we Nikon guys will have the good stuff. :-)

I say keep the image stabilization legal. The pan blur will still be there, and the subject will be that much sharper. There is no way I could have kept my kid this sharp and have so much background blur without the VR.

Upload

I don't think keeping the VR/IS off will make me a better photographer.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-08-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
It is definitely an advantage....no question. For me I need every advantage I can get to make my shots.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-09-2008, 1:04 AM Reply   
Ok. here is my two cents. First off, Josh stated in the guidelines that it must be a moving motion shot. I think that ANY shutter should be ok as long as you show motion. That IR or VR are ok because they are tools that are available to us. And really, the point is to show motion. Not keep everything still. So IR or VR really have no impact. Also, I think tripods are even ok. Hell, I would love to see some ones shot with a tripod. Possibly nice smooth lines across a scene. could be sweet. Either way I think we should stick to the guidelines that Josh set and we should be able to interpret them in any form or fashion we see fit.

But that being said I am really stoked to do this. Not something I do a ton of and will help break the regular mold I have going. I took some tonight that turned out pretty awesome but I am not going to post since we have a whole month left. haha!
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-09-2008, 10:00 PM Reply   
this is awesome guys. im glad to see that people seemed stoked on it.

on the topic of VR and IS, well, honestly go ahead and use them. they are tools that we have available to us as photographers. if every time technology came along to aid us, we just said "NO you need to challenge yourself as a photographer" than frankly we would still be in the dark ages.
that being said, these assignments ARE focused around expanding our ability as a photographer, not to get as many comments and other nice things that make us feel warm and fuzzy inside. so basically you get out of these things what you put into them. VR and IS do make it easier to get a solid shot, but dont nessesarily challenge you enough to become a better photographer. if you go out and get a great shot first try, you arent applying yourself enough. get rid of VR/IS and slow down the shutter for more streak.
lets become better photographers not comment sluts.
use the tools we have available, go have fun and stretch your abilities.
remember people this isnt a contest, its just people pushing each other to get better at this thing we call photgraphy.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-10-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
I think if you really want to challenge yourself then you would want the stabilization off. That's just me though. Maybe you guys should try both ways and see what you come up with. It would be interesting to see how big of a crutch it is if at all.

I agree with the statement (these assignments ARE focused around expanding our ability as a photographer)

With that said I think learning how to pan without IS will help you become a better photographer. If you can master the technique without IS you know you can get the shot if you get caught in a situation where you don't have a IS lens on.

I'd probably feel differently if I had IS though.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-10-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
No IS eh...now it starts to make a little sense :-)

Not looking to start any serious discussion here...just looking to convey my view. For me at least, panning always results in a much decreased "keeper" rate...even with VR on. All keeping VR off would do is increase the frustration level and probably reduce my drive to do more panning shots. I don't think that VR makes me more sloppy...rather, it gives me confidence that if I do everything just right, and the stars are aligned, I might get something I like.

Anyways, that's my .02 cents. Looking forward to seeing the shots

Later

Bakes
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-10-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
bakes, feel free to use anything you like. I put no limitations on VR/IS, they are there for us to use.
that being said, dont write yourself off too quickly. by no means is panning easy so take some shots with the VR and practise. then if you are gettin a bit more consisant then take off the vr. i expect this assignment should be a challenge and hopefully it is.
but use whatever you like.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-10-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
These are old, but I like them.

Sam Hornish Jr. at Watkins Glen last summer. End of back straight; aparently after some open wheel rubbing.
Canon 10D, 28-135IS@100mm 1/250 F6.3 ISO400
Upload

Patrick and Natalie Richards at the Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally in Wellsboro, PA.
Canon 10D, 28-135IS@28mm 1/40 F5 ISO800 pop-up flash

Upload

I certainly did not just go snap these, but I have the flu and am bored . . . .
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
I missed out on assignment #1 so I thought I would combine the two:

spin

Sorry about the ugly dude in the picture
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-11-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
You're all going down! I'm going to actually try on this one =P. Maybe I'll even use my cell camera for the hell of it.

Note: I know it isn't a competition, so before anyone's panties get in a knot, I was just joking around... This warning is necessary thanks to the Wakeworld ban of sarcasm.

(Message edited by wakeboardern1 on March 11, 2008)

(Message edited by wakeboardern1 on March 11, 2008)
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-20-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-20-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
I'm not new to the WW scene, but new to this area of the boards, the camera is coming next week and I hope to at least get an honorable mention....
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-07-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-07-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
ISO 100
1/100th
f/14
Focal length was 172 with a Canon 70-200.

Upload
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-07-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
Nice shot Walt, excellent wheel/BG blur.

Looks like you could have used an ND filter onboard for that shot.

IS would probably help as well for panning smoothness, how was your keeper rate?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-07-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich. No ND filter but I may of had a CP filter on. I don't think I did on this shot though.

I'm sure IS would make it easier. My keeper rate was great down to 200. From there it dropped off the lower I went. I did get a few keepers down to 1/60.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-07-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
Here are mine:

It's extra tough when parts of the moving subject are moving!!
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-08-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
Well, I guess we kinda fell behind on this one. But I guess I will add a critique.

Riley: I love the motion of the water, it definitely helps tell the scene. Technically though I think that it is a tad over exposed but it looks like you were working in tough conditions. I think it would also be nice to see a little more of the surroundings. Is he in a culvert or something? Looks like a rad spot!

Me: Skier + No Poles = Lame. haha. I also kinda lost his hand on this one too. It was hard to get the riders and the lights in the shot if they went big.

Walt: Great shot! I think it is pretty rad except I think I would like to see a little more interesting background. I know it is blurry but maybe get lower on the horizon line? I dunno. Still a great pan though.

Jakober: The first one is definitely better. Its always better to see the face of your subject if possible. The kid is definitely haulin' though!

Well, thats what I have for now. Maybe this next month we could all just make it so that it is a themed post so that people can be posting theirs up as they shoot them, people can comment and then you can go back and try to make some of those changes people suggest. It might also be nice to try to mimic something some people have done and push each other to try new techniques. Kind of like when people were posting photos of water droplets a while back. Everyone tried them and were posting their results. Good and bad. I dunno, its a suggestion.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-08-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
Thanks Ryan. It looks like you summed things up pretty well.
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-08-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
hhaa damn i lost track of the date. here is an old one for poops and chuckles.
kinda lame but i was lazy and didnt acctualy get out to shoot the assignment specifically. looks like i fail this assignment.

i suppose i should give my critique on mine aswell. lame background, and becasue he was leaning through a turn his feel are moving faster than his body where i was panning with and so his feet and boaord are a bit blurry. although, there was no VR in this (niether IS) for you smart asses out there haha kidding kidding.

but overall i think lots of people did cool stuff
Upload