Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    erlingl            02-13-2003, 9:13 PM Reply   
I own a 20ft. crownline. ot already has a tower, all i need is a wake. I have herd all sorts of things about sacs and so far they seem my best bet towards a bigger, solid wake. I would like to know the best set up to get the best resulsts, how much weight, and wear. If i add a bunch of weight in the front or ski locker is that going to make the wake steeper, or placeing more in the back. what is beter. a combination of both. is there anything else other then water balest systems, or sand bags and lead weight which i realy don't want because they always take up space and i also like to ski so i don't always want the wake. can you put a wake plate on an I/O or is that impossible. Please give me sugestions and feedback on what you have tried and what works, and doesn't work.
thank you
Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-13-2003, 9:35 PM Reply   
You will definately want to throw some weight in the boat of some kind. Fat sacks are the best way to go, since you can empty them with a pump, and then you have a skiing wake. Others do prefer lead, since you can hide it under seats and in small compartments. The problem with that is that you it may put stress on the trailer and on the floor of the boat if it is left in there, depending on the amount of weight. A wedge or wake plate are not available on I/O's, as far that I know of. As for placement of the sacks. This will be something that you will have to experiment with yourself. More wake in the back will create a steeper wake. But if you throw too much in the back the wake will become "softer". It is best to throw weight in the front and back. Experiment to find out how much. For when you want to ski, just pump out the water. It will be a little time consuming, but it is worth it for the wake. I hope this helps.
Old    devon            02-14-2003, 5:46 PM Reply   
I use to have an I/O (2002 21' Caravelle) and like you had the wake problem. I found that placing a FULLY FILLED (maybe over filled)fat sac parallel to the back bench seat and trimming the prop to a little above 1/3 threw the best wake. I helps to have a little added weight in the front also. Good Luck.
Old    norcal_99            02-14-2003, 6:01 PM Reply   
The best way to improve the wake in an I/O is to sell it and get a V-Drive. j/k Devon and Scott both have good advice. Keep on Wakin.

Old     (chuck)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-14-2003, 6:32 PM Reply   
I had a v.i.p. i/o. I would put a 375 lb fat sac under the back seat and a 250lb sac in the ski locker. then I would trim the motor 3/4 the way up. It worked out great. Until I got my pro air, try the trim it really does work.
Old    liquidforcer88            02-14-2003, 7:07 PM Reply   
well i have found it best if u center alot of weight. i ride behind a glastron i/o and we fill a 600lb fats sac almost full in our ski locker. it gives the wake the nice rounded top that i love to launch off of. so i suggets putting most weight in the ski locker if posible.
Old    erlingl            02-14-2003, 7:56 PM Reply   
thanks for all these suggestions, how much do most sacs cost and wheres the cheapest place to buy?
Old    erlingl            02-14-2003, 7:58 PM Reply   
if u have pictures post them i would like to see what yall got to get ideas i will have mine up soon i just got to get around to it
Old    jmccallum            02-17-2003, 5:46 AM Reply   
best sacs (also cheapest oddly), IMHO, www.letsgoride.com

Customs ski locker sacs that completely fill the locker. Mines about ~750 lbs.

See other threads on LGR and custom sacs
Old     (wakinwestcoast)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-17-2003, 9:09 AM Reply   
4 blade prop is a must so that you can pull the weight you need to get a good wake.
Old     (davidbouvier)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-17-2003, 10:30 AM Reply   
I used to have a 99 sea ray with an i/o. we put about 500 punds in the rear under each seat. a ski locker sack in the front bilge. filled to about 3/4 full.about 500 pounds. trimmed up the outdrive a small amount. the wake was ok. not steep enough though. any more weight and the boat wouldn't stay on plane. we tried a 4 blade prop. much better out of the hole but more difficult to maintain speed and a straight line.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-18-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
For a phat 750 lb. fat sack, check out gethighsports.net. Price is reasonable, and they are durable (check out their sequence of them rolling a full one off of a roof), all with good customer service.

If you want to make your sac filling operation automatic, check out the Ballst experts, please help post. There is some good info there.
Old     (twowakes)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-23-2003, 8:21 PM Reply   
I found that weight toward the front and middle help most.Perfect pass is also a must for a consistent wake.If you are having trouble loosing your bite try sending off your prop to get it double cupped.
DB
Old    davec            03-14-2003, 2:57 PM Reply   
I put my two buddies that played Offensive line in college in the two back seats. 280lbs. each!!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-14-2003, 6:15 PM Reply   
PP, 4 or 5 blade prop (with a lower pitch of course), fat sacs (youll probably want at least 1000 lbs eventually so look at that when you get the prop- the dealer or whoever will tell you its propped too low but when you add 5-6 people and an extra 1000 lbs it wont be)
What size motor is in the crownline??And is a merc or volvo?
Old     (rob_c)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-15-2003, 10:24 AM Reply   
Here is what seems to work best for my 18ft larson w/v6 volvo penta: Biggest bag you can get in ski locker ,side sacs between seats and sides of boats stack 2or3 high each side put 300 lbs in bow lead, sacs or bodies .Legth of prop blades seem to make a diff. try 15 inchs by 19 pitch at 1/4 trim.