Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
Ok I finally decided to give Malco Leather and Plastic cleaner a try on the recommendation of a couple well respected members here. I think many here know that I am very anal about my boat especially my vinyl. I constantly wipe it down while out on the lake and always use Babes after each use. I have been using Exquisite and a mild brush for the last two seasons for my weekly deep cleaning and was very excited and pleased with the results. I quickly became a champion of it and saw it become the top recommendation here on WW. I've also used 303 cleaner and even a steam cleaner to clean with.

I got my Malco the other day and finally yesterday was able to get out to the boat for a try. I didn't expect much because as I said I keep my vinyl pristine all the time. When I sprayed the Malco on I couldn't believe what I saw. I'd leave it sit for about 30 seconds and just watch as it began to desolve a film of dirt I didn't even know was there, it was unbelievable. I could use just a microfiber towel to wipe it away. When I cleaned a section it was night and day difference to the eye ( I tried to capture it with camera but couldn't) and this is on otherwise clean, bright and shiny vinyl. It made what I thought was brand new looking and clean vinyl actually clean and brand spanking new. I actually felt shame when I saw how clean it could be. I told my wife that and she said "no one keeps their boat as clean as you. I seriously don't think it was this clean from the dealer. You could feel it was clean like squeeky clean. I have some stitching on my sun pad that I've scrubbed using Exquisite and couldn't get it perfectly clean. I just sprayed this on let it sit a few seconds wiped it away and the stitching looked brand new. I had to stop because it was getting to hot and it would dry before it could work it's magic so I resumed later with my buddy that came out on the lake with me and he was astonished too. He was blown away knowing how anal I am about my boat.

Malco is by far the top dog when it comes to cleaning vinyl. Again I've used Exquisite, Babes, 303 cleaner and steam they all fall short.

Thanks Sparky Jay, I had resisted your recommendation but that was foolish and Darren Yearsley's recommendation put me over the top.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-27-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
I've used Malco products before, they are decent. I used to use their "Flashwax" on my trucks right before shows since it was a really thin wax that is easy to remove quickly. I'll have to see if my dad still knows the rep and get some of this Leather and Plastic cleaner.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-27-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
do you use the vinyl protectant either from babes or someone else and if so did you use it after cleaning with the Malco?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-27-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
Nice. So any idea where you get it? Or what it's doing to the threads in the seams to get them so clean?

Found their site: http://www.malcopro.com
Looks like auto detailers use it & follow it up with a conditioner of some kind.
Also found the MSDS sheet on it. Doesn't sound like you want to inhale it or have it on your skin for very long.
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       08-27-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
Hate -you following it up with 303 still, after the Malco?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-27-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Yo Hate can you tell us where you bought it?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-27-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
Bill, the main cleaning ingredient is a problem when it gets into waterways. So anyone using it should be careful not to rinse it into their lake or river. It's banned, I think, in Canada and the EU from being added to detergents. It is a very effective cleaner, and it should not be hard on threads but it is hard on some metals.

Thanks for the review Hate. There is always a need to find a good cleaner as some don't help with the same kind of messes as others.

(Message edited by rallyart on August 27, 2009)
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-27-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
I have been back and forth on ordering either the Malco and Exquisite. Figured I'd give the Malco a try after Hate's review. I ordered it here:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsupplydepot/dsd32-9.aspx
for $5.42 a bottle
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
I was about to order a 1 gallon jug from tcpglobal.com, but their shipping was outrageous!! I found it much cheaper at perfectfit.com , and they're shipping was also much cheaper. Total with shipping was $29 vs $41 for a gallon.
Old    mendo247            08-27-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
Hard to believe its better than Exquisite. My Interior is ALL white and it looks perfect when I'm done. I know Sparky has been preaching this stuff for years. I guess i'll have to give it a shot.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-27-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
Hope it's good Hate. Just ordered a gallon. Thanks for the cheaper site Charlie.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-27-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
The shipping is outrageous at both places on the spray bottle. The s+h is more than the product at both of them...ridiculous.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-27-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
It took a while to find the Malco on perfectfit.com but the gallons are cheaper after shipping, but not the spray bottles. So after my spray bottles get empty I know where to buy a gallon to refill them, thanks for site Charlie.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-27-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
Timmy, thats why I ordered two spray bottles, one for home and one for the lake.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-27-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
I just ordered the gallon. Pretty sure I can get a spray bottle for $1 if I don't already have one at home. Just for kicks I added the spray bottle. Said something like $5.50 until you added it, then it showed up in the cart close to $8.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-27-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
Hate, does the vinyl feel "conditioned" like it does after using the exquisite cleaner? I've found the exquisite to work a little better when it's really warm/hot. I'm not a big fan of using chemicals to clean vinyl.....that's what drew me to the exquisite. To me exqusite is just a very specialized soap. I really like the way my vinyl "feels" (clean and conditioned) after using the exquisite.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-27-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
Just ordered a gallon of Malco, I hope it works awesome, I haven't used my spray bottle yet of Exquisite but, I really want to see the difference in the two. Thanks for all the info.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-27-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
we should start a group buy with malco if a lot of people is interested ! :-)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-27-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
Man, all this in one morning. You're an influential person Hate.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-27-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
The only downside with Malco is its freakin useless as a spot cleaner. Once you hit a dirty spot with it everything else looks grey in comparison and you end up cleaning the whole boat.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-27-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
The vinyl feels very supple after the Malco. It conditions as well but still needs a protectant after. It flat out works the best out of everything I've tried over the years including Exquisite. Malco blows everything else away and it's specificaly designed for the use so no worries over time. If you find anything that works as good it's probably the same ingredients just with a different name.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
Now that we know of Malco for vinyl, what do you guys use for getting rid of water spots on your windshields?
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       08-27-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Sparky -looks like 303 post Malco it is.
For anyone in San Diego, found out that TCP Global is right around the corner from my office of Miramar -called them to ask about pick up to avoid the exhorbinant shipping costs, sd to just print off the price online and bring it by!
On my way to buy a gallon in a couple hours!
Hate..you got some serious pull, but you know this already!

*Spots on windshield...any aerosol can glass cleaner works good for me.

(Message edited by justsan on August 27, 2009)
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-27-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
I had waterspots so bad I thought I was going to have to replace my windshield to get rid of them. Again Malco to the rescue.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/547673.html
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-27-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
Darren - Do you think that would work on a glass shower door? We have tried everything to get the water spots off from the previous owner with no luck.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
Adam, the feeling of the vinyl was tactile I could feel all the grooves and bumps that had become filled and smooth, like I said squeeky clean. It's still supple and nice though.

Coop, I was the same as you I thought my shizz was clean until I used this. Yours might be but give it a shot.

Darren is right I figured I'd be done after some quick spray on wipe off just a test but then I got locked in after seeing the difference. So not a spot cleaner, maybe if you 50/50'd it or something.

I was lucky enough to find out we use it at work and got hooked up with a free bottle from our head lot attendant but I was gonna use TPC global.

I've never used anything after the cleaners I listed for protectant but I'm planning on using Babes. I had tried 303 in the past but it just made everything so damn slick most noticably the sun pad.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-27-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
just ordered a spray bottle & gallon. lets see how good this stuff is.

Just got the leather/plastic cleaner (brown spray bottle) - thats it right????
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-27-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
No group buys allowed on wakeworld. LOL

Thanks for the review hate. If you and yearsley like it I am going to give it a shot. Called the local distributor this morning and he is going to drop and extra bottle of at my local chevy dealership tomorrow. $6 Can't beat that and he said he'll throw in some new brush applicator he had some samples of.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-27-2009, 3:21 PM Reply   
Just curious but has anyone verified this stuff is safe to use on marine vinyl? Marine vinyls are coated and permeated with protectants and certain chemical agents can start a breakdown process that's irreversable so i'd sure hate to use something that will affect it. I attempted to contact Malco but they don't list a number so i had to send an email inquiry. I checked their site for any indication it's ok for marine use and nothing. Not saying it doesn't work but i'd sure like to know it's ok before i use it is all.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-27-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
Eubanks, I'm pretty sure it would, it is awesome.
Old     (pdub)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-27-2009, 4:14 PM Reply   
just ordered some thanks for the tip
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-27-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
Eubanks have you tried muriatic acid 50/50 with water for your shower door
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       08-27-2009, 4:35 PM Reply   
What do you follow it up with? for protectant

Use any type of brush or pad to get in groves? If so what kind?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-27-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
I follow it up with 303 but am thinking about switching to Babe's because of the "slick" factor with the 303. I've been using it for years on my boats and everything else and I am very critical on details. Have seen no ill affects from this product. I can't say that about some other products though.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2009, 6:09 PM Reply   
Jason I actually found that just using my hand to rub it in worked well but a medium brissel plastic brush would work great too. Even just the microfiber cloth was great. Have a bucket of water handy though because the cloth got filthy.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-27-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
Any idea if this stuff works on mildew stains?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-27-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
I agree with Razzman. I want to know that the reason the vinyl looks so much cleaner is not because it is literally wiping the top layer off, not just the dirt.

There is a reason you get this long list of of approved products that come with your boat.

This might be something like some short term pleasure in exchange for a lot of long term pain...kind of like women
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-27-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
Yep you figured ot out. It takes a layer off every time you use it and that's why it works so well. If this was true my boat's upholstery would be down to the foam. LOL. If your warranty will be void because you haven't used what's on the manufacturer's list, by all means, don't risk it.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-27-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
Sparky,

I did not mean to generate a sarcastic remark out of it. I was serious about making sure the product works in the long haul. I did not understand that this is something anyone had YEARS of experience with. Sounds like you do, now that I reread your posts above. Sounds like I gotta get me some.

I have a half dozen cleaners in the garage, including exquisite, and have not found one to be all that superior. Might as well add this to the bunch, and I will switch to it, if it works as good as billed.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-27-2009, 9:22 PM Reply   
I've been using malco for quite a while now. My recommendations are to wear gloves or dilute it a little bit. This stuff will leather your hands and make them peel. Also, make sure you follow up with some water to make sure you get all the cleaner off the seats. It attracts dirt just as well as it removes it.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-27-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
talltigeguy, I was kinda half a$$ just messin. Thanks for stating you re-read the above posts. I have to laugh sometimes when people just resist using someone's experience to make the decision simpler for themselves. I understand sometimes it's hard to figure out the good, reliable info from the bull though. You make a good point about the warranty issue. I ran the specified Mercruiser oil in my Black Scorp until it was out of warranty, now I use good ol' conventional Valvoline 10/40 every 25hrs.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-28-2009, 12:24 AM Reply   
Ok I got my bottle on its way too. Lets see how this stuff works. U guys still following up with babes seat saver or something similar???
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-28-2009, 12:45 AM Reply   
Nylon bristle brush to scrub it on and std rag to wipe if off. Micro fibre might be the go tho. 303 protectant to finish it off. I cleaned my boat the other day and a friend who sells boats for a living came over for a chin wag, "Wow, your boat is really white." 5 mins after he leaves he calls me, "Will you sell me that cleaner?" Ha ha, another punter converted.
Old     (cdrymalla)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-28-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
Eubanks, I jumped on the bandwagon and ordered some of the Malco and 303. You can take some of it when you make it down here and give it a try on the shower.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-28-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
Sparky i'm not resisting using Malco due to your's or anyone elses experience, i'm just asking if it's been verified for use on marine vinyl. Experience of use is one thing and gawd knows a lot of it is doled out on WW. But knowledge of a product is another and as i'm in the habit of keeping my boats awhile i don't want to one day find the vinyl cracked and the stitching coming out due to internal breakdown, which by the way does take years to show.

BTW i've already arranged to meet the Malco rep in the bay area to obtain some as well as other samples he's offered. I'm just awaiting Malco's responce.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            08-28-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
Hate
Where you ordering from. The site Jason listed above for TCP has errors all over it. Maybe it will get fixed soon. Maybe WW'ers are bogging down the site trying to buy it. Any other places? I would like to give it a shot and the carpet cleaner to see how it compares to resolve.
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-28-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
Water spots on glass..use sponge/water/BonAmi or Comet. Scotch Brite pad instead of sponge for tough spots.

Frank
Old    pdxWAKE.com            08-28-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
Scratch that.. it is working now. I ordered some vinyl cleaner and gonna try the carpet cleaner and will give it a shot.

Thanks for the tip...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-31-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
So I got on the http://www.malcopro.com website & looked up my local distributor. I was expecting him to tell me some retail outlet or local upholstery shop who carries their product. He told me that the product is distributed similar to Snap-on, delivery trucks who maintain a territory. I guess they visit the RV dealerships in my home town ever few days. So he's supposed to give me a call when he's in my area next & I'll go pick some up.
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       08-31-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
What do you guys use to clean carpet, mine does not snap out?
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-31-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
I just had mine cleaned last week in the detail shop at a local car dealer. They only charged $35 to do it, and they even opened up the rear ski locker and got that, and got the entire front end underneath the closed bow area. They did a great job, and the carpet is all fluffed up like new again. I used to do it myself with carpet cleaner and a pressure washer (wash the dirt into the bilge on my direct drive boat), but for the hassle, it was worth bringing it in to have it done.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-31-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
^^^ Jason, my dealer washes my boat and shampoos my carpet every time I have it in for service. Thank you Active Water Sports!
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-31-2009, 9:23 PM Reply   
I called the company, and they gave me a name of a guy who drove around selling it to detail shops. He met me near my work when he was in the neighborhood, and it cost me $14 for a gallon. This was almost two years ago, and I just ran out last week. Time to give him a call again.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-01-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
I have my local distributor stopping by my work next Tuesday. He also mentioned that they have a vinyl and leather protectant. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the protectant.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-01-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
Got an email from perfectfit this morning. Seems they are out of the gallon size until approx. Sept. 4th. They had a sudden surge of requests for the gallon size. Wonder where that came from.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-01-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
LOL- I think that's my fault.... I did wait to post their price until after I ordered, I expected that to happen. At least my gallon will be here tomorrow!
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-01-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
For the windshield i use BON AMI this clean glass and mirror like magic honestly ......
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-09-2009, 5:53 AM Reply   
I got my gallon yesterday...I was suprised to see one of the main ingredients is Sodium Hydroxide. That is a pretty intense base, depending on the dilution.

Definitely something I am not into getting in my eyes or on my skin.

I will still give it a try, but then I am concerned the vinyl needs to be washed off from any leftover. I don't think I would let it sit on the vinyl without wiping it off either.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-09-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
Used mine this weekend with a brush and could could not believe the amount of dirt that came off my boat. Curious how others applied it. I also used 303 afterwords. Hey tall so the X45 does not have a swivel seat??? I dont get MC and the non swivel seat I have an 02 x star no swivel seat and it sucks for us tall guys.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-09-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
My boat got done too.... I'll have to say, it's solid white interior, and it looked pretty damn clean before, but this cleaner made a BIG difference. Very white now!!! Here's my steps:
1) Spray on, let sit for about 30 seconds.
2) Scrub a little with a scrub brush to get the dirt out of the texture.
3) Scrub with a rag to clean it up.
4) Scrub with a rag soaked in water to clean the excess off the surface.
5) Treat with the vinyl protectant of your choice. It took 2 coats for me to get the really shiny look going again.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-09-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
We used it again the other day on my buddy's Tige again he keeps his vinyl clean and wiped down after each use. Here again I couldn't believe my own eye's at how clean it actually should have been. This stuff is amazing.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-09-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
Well I'm glad you guys are coming around and are happy with it! Talltigeguy, you do want to follow with a damp towel to soak up any cleaner after scrubbing. I usualy have a small bucket with clean water and two seperate towels, one to soak up with and one to dry.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-09-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
I just had one of their distributors come by my work. I ended up buying three gallons of the leather & plastic cleaner, one gallon of the showroom shine, and one gallon PB2 leather and vinyl protectant. The distributor said he has a Baja boat and uses the Showroom Shine on his hull every time he pulls it out oh the water. I ended up paying $12 a gallon for the Leather & Plastic cleaner, and the Showroom Shine, and $20 for the protectant
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       09-09-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
Paul: does the protectant have a UV rating? I cant find the products at all on the malco site.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-09-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
I can't find a UV rating on the bottle or the website. It does say it has UV protectant.

Here is the link.

http://www.malcopro.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.f lypage&product_id=80&category_id=28&manufacturer_i d=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=101

http://www.malcopro.com/msds/Automotive/1043%20Malco%20PB-2%20Multi-Purpose%20Emulsion%20Dressing.pdf
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-09-2009, 4:19 PM Reply   
For the guys asking about water spots, Bon Ami is awsome. I saw another member on here mentioned it but it works great on auto and home (including shower) glass.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-09-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
Vanilla odor in the protectant, I wonder if its Tahitian vanilla? Either way I'm in.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-09-2009, 9:52 PM Reply   
The cleaner kind of smells bad in my opinion. Maybe it's just the nasty its washing out?
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-10-2009, 6:34 AM Reply   
paul, that protectant has a silicone emulsion in it....typically silicone is nto good on vinyl's at all. It's like armor all, once you stop using it expect craking/drying.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-10-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
Most vinyl protectants are mostly a silicone base. It's not the silicone that dries out the vinyl it's the water in Armor All that does the damage to the vinyl and thread.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
The water damages marine vinyl and thread?! I've heard everything now.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-10-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
just ordered a gallon!
Old     (mikes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-10-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
I got my gallon yesterday...I was suprised to see one of the main ingredients is Sodium Hydroxide.

isn't that the same stuff they use in starbrite mildew stain remover? That stuff cleans like a mo-fo but it's nasty
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-10-2009, 9:09 PM Reply   
d powers, so why do boat owners go to great lengths to dry the boat out after each use? It's just water. If you don't think water and it's alternate states are an enemy of your vinyl and thread, put your boat away with wet interior every week with a cover over it and see what it looks like after awhile. This is the same thing as wiping your interior down a couple times a week with a water based protectant. Water by itself will evaporate eventualy on it's own but when it's suspended in other chemicals it can take much longer.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
Putting a boat away wet and covered is in no way comparable to using a water-based protectant. People dry their boats to prevent mildew, odor, and to clean up a lot of the dirt on the surface.

So you think that Sodium Hydroxide (the primary ingredient in oven cleaner) is a safe vinyl cleaner but are worried about water damaging vinyl and thread? Do you honestly think the manufacturers of boat vinyl are making a product that can withstand oven cleaner but not water? What about all the water in the air, is that constantly attacking the vinyl too?}
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-11-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
sodium hydroxide is caustic, but how much is used to make this product. I doubt it's more than 1%. Don't forget this is the same ingredient that's used to make soap.

My dad was an environmetnal engineer...his classic saying was "the solution to pollution is dilloution". dilluted down, you can drink even the most harmful chemicals......

(Message edited by wake1823 on September 11, 2009)
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
Yes, <1% Sodium Hydroxide and <5% Alkyphenol Ethoxylate. What do you suppose makes up the bulk of the remaining 94%?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-11-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
I don't think it's safe, I know it is. 15 years of use and even more years doing custom upholstery is good enough for me. The remainder of the cleaner is water but you dry it off, you don't wipe it on and let it stay there. Water left alone does damage around boats pure and simple. Nuff said.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
So to recap, the water in Armor All damages the vinyl and thread but the water in the Malco product is harmless.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
If you think it's gonna ruin your stuff don't use it. Better yet since your smarter than one of the most respected company's in the detailing world make a better safer product.