Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-13-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
I know this topic is beat like a horse, but I'm not sure of the answer. Do i have to have "gate" on an aerator system or can I use solenoids.
I've done searches and found the million was to do this but dont want to use the gate. Thanks for any ideas.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-15-2008, 6:04 AM Reply   
Not sure what your asking? A "gate" as in gate valve? A solenoid is a motor that could be used to move a valve.

If you are asking whether you need a valve of some kind with an aerator pump ballast setup, the answer is, no, you dont.

If you use a thru-hull mushroom, instead of a scoop, it will not force-fill your sacs, and therefore, no need for a valve.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-15-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
you better find some way to stop water from filling your boat if something breaks. bad idea.

get a $4 ball valve for safety if nothing else. put the valve right after the thru-hull.
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-15-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
I have a ball valve before my manifold system Ive just noticed that some people put waste gates into there systems, my current hippo system uses soleniods and valves, Is the waste gate to prevent flow into the bags ?That was my original question. thanks
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-15-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
I think what your trying to ask is do you need something that you have to open and close when filling your ballast system. While nacho was saying you should have something that you can shutoff just in case of emergency (which is a good idea) you don't need an electronic gate. If you use a mushroom thuhaul like tigemike suggested and then ran your fill lines up above the water line and then back down to your backs they wouldn't fill themselves and therefore you wouldn't need to worry about open and closing the valve. Provided you put a check valve after the pump so the water didn't flow back out once full. If you use the scupper thruhaul though it won't matter how you run your lines, if you don't have some sort of shutoff your bags will fill themselves when your underway.
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-15-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
thanks everybody.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       02-15-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
Brad, in most cases the check valve is put in the line to let the water flow in only 1 direction. On my FILL lines, if I didn't have the check valve, the pressure from the bags will force water back thru the manifold. The back bags would partially empty and start over-filling my locker sac.

I also have check valves on the vent hose on top of the bag, so that water can't flow back thru there while I'm pumping water out of the bag (the vent hose is tied into the above water EMPTY line.

IMO, check valves are an easier option than solenoids for an aerator type system.
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-15-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
Thanks rich, The only reason I mentioning the solenoids is because my system already has them, and Im trying to decide if I use them again or get rid of them. The basic bones are already installed Im just upgrading bags and pumps etc.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-15-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
You can avoid using a gate valve with a mushroom intake, as said above, but a scupper intake has a few advantages IMO. It will force out airlocks, it will fill faster underway, and the grate will keep large trash from getting into the system. Regardless, you should always have a brass shutoff valve attached directly to the intake in any system.