Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-12-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
Was looking for some advice. I am new to wakesurfing, total beginner and will be surfing behind a DD with a little ballast and a Nautique 211. What are your thoughts about the CWB Ride or the Hyperlite 4'8" Broadcast? Any and all thoughts welcome!

dg
Old    surfdad            08-12-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
Another important aspect is your weight, Dave. It would be a total guess without that bit of info.
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-12-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
Good Point! I am 5'10" 200lbs. Sorry about that!
Old    surfdad            08-13-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
You're a tall guy and bigger than average. Personally I think the 4'8" Broadcast will be too small for you at the beginning. IMO, of the two the Ride at 5'3" is a better choice.

I know that there are folks that can ride the broadcast at your size, and they "feel" they are doing well, but...if they haven't ridden a properly sized board, they simply have no idea what they COULD be doing. Also, those folks are pretty limited in what they can ride. Move them past their own wake and they struggle. This won't happen if you are on a properly sized board.

James is incredibly talented, but also, his board fits him. :-)

Upload

Now, may I ask...are you limiting yourself to just those two board options? Some folks do, simply, because they want to purchase from a local dealer and that is all that is available.
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-13-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
Because I have never done this before I was hoping to buy a used board to save some cash initially and see how I like it. These are two boards that I have come across.

dg
Old    surfdad            08-14-2006, 5:28 AM Reply   
I'm not a big fan of the molded boards. If you are limiting yourself to just those two, I'd go with the larger Ride. I would encourage you to check with the specialty manufacturers to see if they have any demo boards for sale. Often times they can sell you a good used board for a price that is competitive with a molded board. Also, if price is your major concern, Trick Boardz pretty much has a money back guarantee AND they have a very nice online board selector...although all of the smaller manufacturers will talk to you, get specifics and recommend a board for you.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-14-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
dave,

i am have been doing alot of wakesufing the last couple of months behind my 211 which has a incredible surf wake both sides and really long pockets...it is pretty incredible how far you can fall back and still come back..

i had the opportunity to try alot of different boards.. (2 phase 5's (med & large), shoreline, and lf 5.0 skimskate)

i would have to agree with jeff walker about the 4'8" board- it can be done but there is a a really small margin for error (ie hard to ride). i would go with at at least a 5' board...

btw, really, really liked the shoreline (no center fin). great for beginners and advanced enough for pro riding (one of our riders was pulling 360's)

(Message edited by clubmyke on August 14, 2006)
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-19-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
Club,
When you surf behind your 211 how do you weight it? Do you fill up all the tanks and put everyone in the back? How long of a rope do you use? Again, a total beginner here just trying to figure out how to do this.

dg
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-19-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
dave,

the wake off the 211 is freakin incredible...we go with a combination of lead sacks and ballast.. you will also need to add a couple of things that are absolutley needed

-the bilge pump added in the back of the engine compartment for when you surf starboard (we are using a rule pump and tube externally till we can t-one in the exsisting bilge system (stock pickup is on the port side)
-replace all outlets with one ways valves (plugs work or keep an eye on water coming into your tanks.
-cover or tape up the air inlet on the side you are surfing (i use a heavy duty duct tape that leaves no residue)
-wake selector set to 2 (experiment what works for you)

if any extra water is taken on (tanks or engine compartment) it kills the wake..
weighing the 211 (this is what we found so far that work well on both side (port seems to need a little more weight).. if anyone has another way.. please let me know)

-8 lead bags in the locker(pop products) along the outside hull standing up)
- 2 on a towel on the cooler or step depending on side
-3 along side driver (or opposite side)
-1 underneath the bow seat push back as far as possible

the genereal idea is to line the side of the boat with lead)
- 155 lb fly high sac or people if available in rear corner
- 370 sac in rear locker OR on top of rear walkway(depending of side)
-rear stock balast (only one on the side you are riding)
-empty the belly

we ride about 2900 rpm (estimate 9.5 -10.3 mph)..pp in the rpm mode does a little better with lenghting the pocket and the gate set to 2

we get a clean 3-3.5 foot wake with a super long pocket (about 15 feet)..

(Message edited by clubmyke on August 19, 2006)
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-19-2006, 5:05 PM Reply   
dave,

the wake off the 211 is freakin incredible...we go with a combination of lead sacks and ballast.. you will also need to add a couple of things that are absolutley needed

-the bilge pump added in the back of the engine compartment for when you surf starboard (we are using a rule pump and tube externally till we can t-one in the exsisting bilge system (stock pickup is on the port side)
-replace all outlets with one ways valves (plugs work or keep an eye on water coming into your tanks.
-cover or tape up the air inlet on the side you are surfing (i use a heavy duty duct tape that leaves no residue)
-wake selector set to 2 (experiment what works for you)

if any extra water is taken on (tanks or engine compartment) it kills the wake..
weighing the 211 (this is what we found so far that work well on both side (port seems to need a little more weight).. if anyone has another way.. please let me know)

-8 lead bags in the locker(pop products) along the outside hull standing up)
- 2 on a towel on the cooler or step depending on side
-3 along side driver (or opposite side)
-1 underneath the bow seat push back as far as possible

the genereal idea is to line the side of the boat with lead)
- 155 lb fly high sac or people if available in rear corner
- 370 sac in rear locker OR on top of rear walkway(depending of side)
-rear stock balast (only one on the side you are riding)
-empty the belly

we ride about 2900 rpm (estimate 9.5 -10.3 mph)..pp in the rpm mode does a little better with lenghting the pocket and the gate set to 2

we get a clean 3-3.5 foot wake with a super long pocket (about 15 feet)..