Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-02-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
I bought my dad set of XXL CWB Factions (cause he has huge feet and thats the biggest pair I could find) last season. He probably rode 1 day for 20 minutes on them and then put his board/bindings on the wall in the boathouse and never used them again. So his bindings are less than a year old and maybe used for 10 rides.

I took them out yesterday so that a friend could ride it and the noticed that the hinges were broke on both sides. The wire cable had rusted and snapped in two. Also the chrome parts on the binding (latch on the back and clamps on the base) all seem to be deteriorating. Like they had taken an acid bath. My folks live on a brackish river and thats where we ride.

Anyone else experience this with CWB Factions??

Will post pics later
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-02-2008, 7:29 AM Reply   
I have over 200 sets on my Factions with no problems. I ride in fresh water, let everyone ride my board and even leave it out on the dock for weeks on end--binding are in great shape.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-02-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
Sounds like they were not rinsed off after each use. Contact CWB and you might have to purchase a new wire. :-(
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-02-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
Two new wires, both of them broke in the same spot. I cannot comment on whether they were rinsed off or not because I don't remember. My brother has the exact same pair except XL and rode in the exact same water 100x more and doesn't have the same problem.

Chuck, guess its a different story in brackish then fresh my man.

CWB said send them back and they will replace/repair everything. Good people.

(Message edited by drewdown on June 02, 2008)
Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-02-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
I also rode 07 factions in brackish water. I am very strict on cleaning my boat and boards after every ride but still get the corrosion you are talking about. I did not have a problem with the wire rusting but the hinge and hardware looked exactly as you are describing them.

If you live near the ocean and keep you stuff in a shed or something like it just the salt in the air will corrode stuff over time. You can wash it and prolong the life of it but it will still corrode and break over time.

I rode the 07s last year a and I am on the 08s this year. The 08s exposed metal has a new finish on it and I have not had any issues with corroding so far.

Give Amanda a call or send her and email and tell her what happened she may be able to help you but because of the salt I would not get my hopes up.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-02-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
Reese, just got off the phone with her...they are going to take care of them for me.

I edited my post above to show some more backstory...IE my brother has the exact same bindings (XL) and rode a ton last year and his are in good condition, nothing like my Dads. Both stored in the same garage and rode in the same brackish water.
Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-02-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
cool yea .... Amanda is great, I tend to be hard on my stuff (being 235 lbs) and she takes care of me every time! Glad you got everything taken care of. Is your brothers hardware still like new?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-02-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
Even better. FREE repair. :-) You have to love CWB for their warranties. :-)
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-02-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
Yeah I do she was great to deal with. Not sure about my brother's hardware, he is a dip**** and wears gloves, I just know his hinges weren't broken like my Dad's.

Here are some pics if anyone wants to see:

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-02-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
Some more:

Upload

You can see the condition they are in here, like new except for the hinge and metal pieces.

Upload

props to CWB for helping us out.
Old     (wakeboarder46)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-02-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
all in all can u guys say the factions r good because im in the market for some.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-02-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
That is all saltwater damage right there. To keep em in top shape I'd take the boots off your board everytime and hose em down extra good. Like mentioned above, even the salt in the air can cause issues. Just rquires a little extra work.
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-03-2008, 5:41 AM Reply   
i ride factions too, the only problem i have with them is the medium is a lil to tight and the large is slightly to big, so i ride the larges i have so my feet dont die...theyre great though
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-03-2008, 6:43 AM Reply   
Big Heavy, I assumed as much. But like I said before compared to how much my Dad's were used and how much my brother's were used I would have expected worse on my brother's.

But that isn't the case.

CWB is taking care of them, they are good people.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-03-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
Not necessarily true Drew. Salt takes it toll over time when dry. Your brothers bindings were wet more often than your dad's and helped to keep them looking better.
Old     (jearley35purdue)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-03-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
Been riding the factions since last year and haven't had any problems. Only complaint is the damn laces are so friggen long onthe toe pull.

Anyone else ever had the bottom of their feet get really sore with these? Almost a sharp apin in the arch? Mine do but figured it was because they were not broken it just yet. Have only had them out probably 15 times.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-03-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
Jeremy, the 06/07 boots didn't have a lot of arch support. Luckily they are pretty easy to take apart and build up the arches if you got high ones. Take some closed cell foam shims and some 3M spray adhesive, customized boots are where its at. For 08 CWB increased the arch support significantly. Oh & you can also shorten the laces, its much nicer.