Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    bigwake5            08-18-2005, 7:17 PM Reply   
any thoughts or does anyone have any of these boats never seen one and i was wondering good reveiws on here and everyother site and wake pics or interior pics would be appreciated
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2005, 7:23 PM Reply   
check the boats forum.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-18-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
Hayden, I had a Pro V and it was a great boat. I dont think there is another boat out there that gives you so much room for your gear and all your friends. The wake was really good even without weighting and I got compiments everytime I went to the lake. You need to check it out for yourself though. The only problem I would say that when the boat was weighted pretty good it would tend to cavitate in turns. That ussually wasnt a big problem though.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2005, 8:45 PM Reply   

quote:

I dont think there is another boat out there that gives you so much room for your gear and all your friends.

malibu lsv
mastercraft x-star
nautique sv-226
sanger v230
tige 24v

should i go on?

quote:

The wake was really good even without weighting and I got compiments everytime I went to the lake.

like ALL wake boats out there, you need additional weight for the wake to be good.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-18-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
For a 21' boat the "cab forward" design makes it feel like a 23' boat. I've been running a 350# sac in the bow aisle, an 80# pvc tube of sand in each locker, a full tank (65 gallons), factory 700# and usually bout 4 people. Throws a pretty sick wake. The room in these boats is awesome! If you're single you could name it the S.S POON
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2005, 9:39 PM Reply   
If I'm rollin with a whole lot of chicks I would like the boat to be small. Real small. Like bath tub sized.

The pro-v looks like the real deal tho, love hand made boats.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-19-2005, 8:17 AM Reply   
I rode behind a Cal Air Pro V last night. It is a big boat and the ballast system is cool. The ballast system should have been a lot bigger to really maximize its potential. Cavitates really bad in the turns if you are running a lot of weight. If you want a new 23' boat with options for under 60 grand get this boat. If you want a hardcore wakeboat get something else. The wake just isn't as nice as with other manufacturers.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-19-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
Just ask Jimmy Wolf how he likes his boat. I'm
sure he'll give you all the info you need to make
you up your mind...
Old    bigwake5            08-19-2005, 3:09 PM Reply   
cavites-whats this mean also how much are used boats like around 04 03s? any pics?
Old     (jdaviso1)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-19-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
"cavites" - I think he means cavitates.

Cavitation occurs when pressure decreases (while using a propeller). This causes water to boil at much lower temperatures. When the bubbles from this boiling burst they can cause pitting to occur on the blades of the prop.

~J.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-19-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
When your prop has more air running through it than water. Yeah they do cavitate with weight in sharp turns but if you figure out how to drive them you learn how not to cavitate. Small correction John M. they're only 21'-4". With my skill level a little more weight than stock gets me by. Dont forget the 65 gallon fuel tank. Thats another 540#.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-19-2005, 5:02 PM Reply   
yeah, but does the 65 gallon tank remain full all day?

there was a good discussion in here a few months back as to why people really need to quit counting gas as ballast.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-19-2005, 5:38 PM Reply   
Joe,
the boats you listed are big but the calabria is a party barge. We have an x star and by comparison the calabria is much bigger(Passenger room).
Not trying to start a war but dang those calabrias are so big that You could set up a lawn chair and a bbq on the back platform.

Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-19-2005, 5:43 PM Reply   
Yeah you're probably right but when I ride it's usually with about three ppl on average I'd say the boat only burns 1/4 tank. That gives us all bout 3 runs each. We're all pretty outta shape so they're short runs. So I would say that I'm only losing 135# But I do see your reasoning Joe. But I think its an awful lot if fuel in a 21' boat. Wouldn't you agree?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-19-2005, 5:52 PM Reply   
i totally agree!

matthew, i agree w/ you too. the pro-v boat is an all-around sick boat. i'm just not too fond of the seat hinges....they'll make you eat poo!
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-19-2005, 5:59 PM Reply   
Thats funny you say that dude...my two kids bite it all the time cause of those. I would like to ride behind the Bu's and Nauti's though I'm really wanting to see what all the hypes about. So far I've been behind two Tiges and a Supra Launch. To this day the Launch is the best wake I've been behind.
Old     (grimlock)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-19-2005, 7:02 PM Reply   
Jimmy doesn't really get a chance to ride behind his new Calabria, since it's in the shop getting fixed all the time, at least that's what he told me last month in Powell.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-22-2005, 5:22 PM Reply   
For the money they are unbeatable. As far as a "core" wakeboat, I guess ask someone who is "core" about boats. But for us Johnny "wantabes" it's a great boat. Tons of storage. All the ballast is under the floor. As far as cavitation, yes and no. If weighed correctly and you can drive, no. If you over-weight the boat and can't drive, yes. When turning a over-weighted Pro V have someone move to the opposite side your turning. This will level the boat and help it turn better.

Here is some pics.

Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-22-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
werd!
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-22-2005, 9:50 PM Reply   
i ride behind a pro-v all the time and it is def. large! the wake has a decent shape could use a bit more ballast though. maybe throw a 400# in each rear locker and another 500-700 in the walkway. that would be nice.

one thing you must know, this is very important:

IT IS A PIG!!! it takes forever to get out of the hole. we have it propped so it only does 36 mph at 4700rpm and it is still a slug. it needs at least a 496ho.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-23-2005, 6:05 AM Reply   
Freeboozeforall If you put a 400# sac in each locker you will hate it. The boat is not designed to be weighted in the rear. That is the biggest mistake people make with the pro-v. The pro-v is a big boat but is designed different than the others. That's why it has limited bow rise.

Your friend is defiantly running the wrong prop. I suggest he changes to a 13 X 16 Acme.

As for cavitation don't turn so tight or slow down in the turns. It's a big boat drive it like one.

For a 21'6" boat it has as much or more room than most 23-24' boats.

For an optimum wake weight the boat in the center.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-23-2005, 9:50 AM Reply   
phaeton, i am totally clear as to how the obat was designed, that's why i said put a ton in the walkway. i guess i should have put a larger number, like 750-850.

and i thought we were all talking about the cal-air pro-v which is 23'6".
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-23-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
Grimlock, That's why I said ask Jimmy Wolf, because it's in the shop for at least one week every month for the last year and half for something differnt. Say's he likes the boat just doesnt like all the problems and service he gets.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       08-23-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
Feebooz... Huh?? 23' 6".... only if you count the swim step.

Trav is correct... it's just over 21' tip to tail... I had this same discussion with a friend at the lake not long ago and made a stop by the dealer on the way home with my tape measure.

Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-23-2005, 4:23 PM Reply   
Jeff is correct. Now if you want to talk about the smaller pro-v um did I say that. Well I guess you guy's will have to wait.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       08-23-2005, 6:04 PM Reply   
Blah Blah Blah... been hearing about the "all new" smaller version of the Pro V for a few years now.

Trav... I am sure you will be one of the first to have one... and that it will match your new truck. When your stereo shop gets done with the month long installl...call me and I will make the road trip down to see it.

Looking forward to catching up in Sept. See you then.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-23-2005, 6:16 PM Reply   
you guys are serious? the cal-air pro-v is 21 feet? yuh, right.

http://www.boatinglifemag.com/article_content.jsp?ID=37421
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-23-2005, 6:24 PM Reply   
Yes we are serious. The boat is 21'6" the boat with the platform is 23'6" Never understood why Calabria felt they should advertise the boat as a 23'. I think it turns some buyers away because they think it is that big. Take a look at a Pro-V then take a look at a 23 LSV Those things are HUGE!

Jeff this is a different boat all together. The other one from over a year ago I believe got scraped and was just a pro-v hull with a different top deck.

Smaller boat for me I don't think so. Still have the best boat for me and my family. I do need to paint the truck to match the boat though.

Can't wait for Pateros it will be good to see the Seattle crew again.

(Message edited by phaeton on August 23, 2005)
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       08-23-2005, 6:27 PM Reply   
OveraOverall length”…. includes the swim step. Not sure why they measure it that way but they do. Trust me on this one…. I already won a can of red bull from a previous Calabria owner when we bet about the details of the length of the Pro V.

Trav…. get a pic from the one in your garage...
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-23-2005, 6:41 PM Reply   
I'm selling my '06 Pro V. If anybody is intersted let me know.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-23-2005, 7:06 PM Reply   
Why are you selling it?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-23-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
Madchild1,

You don't want to go there with this. The discussion Jeff had with the Calabria owner was on my boat, and she had serious red face action going on when she found out the boat is only 21'6. Jeff is known in our circles as "Demo Boy" and has crawled through, measured, and ridden behind every boat in this division. Trust us on this one, it has been laid to rest.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-23-2005, 7:23 PM Reply   
I'm selling it to make way for my new one.

I help Calabria promote the boats in my neck of the woods.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-24-2005, 7:25 AM Reply   
weird, i say that because, who makes a 21'6" boat with a 102" beam?