Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-24-2012, 10:49 AM Reply   
I'm thinking of picking up a mid 80's ski boat, either a SN2001 or an American Skier, but I really don't like the aged look of either one. I was thinking about wrapping the boat with a custom wood pattern to make it look like an old woody ski boat from the 60's like the one below. What do you all think? Would I be better served wrapping it in some new/wild graphics once I put the tower on to make it look newer than it really is?

If I go the woody route I am definately goign to find myself one of those big horns to put on the closed bow.

Price shouldn't be a concern because it's a friends shop wrapping it so I should only have to pay for materials, if that.
Attached Images

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-24-2012, 12:16 PM Reply   
Do it. It'll be unique and make heads turn. No one can resist looking at a woodie
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-24-2012, 2:40 PM Reply   
That's what she said...

I couldn't help myself even though I completely aggree.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-24-2012, 3:33 PM Reply   
I'm going to veneer the top deck of a late 60's DD inboard I picked up for a song. Just need to finish rebuilding the olds 455 it came with.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-24-2012, 4:44 PM Reply   
I like that idea!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-24-2012, 4:52 PM Reply   
I think it would look bad. Don't fake it. If you don't like the boat have new gel or at least paint done. Wraps are tacky in my opinion. Nice gel with perhaspa few decals if that's you're thing. Less is more, especially on a classic boat.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-24-2012, 8:02 PM Reply   
My woody for some inspiration....
Attached Images

Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-24-2012, 8:19 PM Reply   
Norcalrider, I hope that project turns out. Keep us posted.

Wakecumberland, thanks for the pics. That boat is a beauty!
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-24-2012, 8:21 PM Reply   
That is a beautiful boat Adam!
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-24-2012, 8:44 PM Reply   
This is my inspiration:

and this is my starting point (horrible name from the previous owner):

Stipping the 7 layers of paint over the the original silver metal flake gelcoat currently (time consuming) and pulled the motor. Also came with a second 455 and all the parts as a donor. Haven't gotten into that as of yet but gathering parts for the rebuild. For those in Northern California this is a Keaton Utility built between 1959 and 1972 in Sacramento. I will stick with the tournament seating and might replace the foot pedal for a dual action throttle lever.

Last edited by norcalrider; 01-24-2012 at 8:48 PM.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-25-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
Holy trim tab!! That will be a cool project! The inspiration boat leaves a bit to be desired in my opinon on the decks. Just too plain and boring in my opinion. Here are some ideas that I think would look better:

If you want an all wood deck you could do something like this Chris-Craft. The different color wood and the striping give really make it pop.

The attached photo is my old Century that I did. Factory was all vinyl decks, I added the mahogany. That's obviously a cheaper option and less time intensive but still gives it some interest that the other boat is lacking.

Attached Images

Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-25-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
That's sweet Adam ! did'nt know you had it in ya !
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-25-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
Adam, my only concern with that is springing the wood to the curvature of the rail. Though I agree that would be the ideal way to finish this. Do you have some insights they would be appreciated? I don't want to use wood thicker than 3/8" as this is purely aesthetics.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-25-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
Thanks Drew! I can't take any credit for the first boat (55 Coronado) as I bought it that way, although I am doing some work on it now. The 2nd one (68 Century Cheetah) was my baby! It had a fiberglass hull with wood decks and with its 302 Interceptor will move!

Mik, Probably the cheapest option would be to use mahogany ply and cut faux seems in the ply to give it the look of individual planks. You have an incredible amount of flexiblilty with that option and can use some creativity to make it look like you want. Here is a short little photo gallery on what that process looks like.

http://www.antiqueboatshop.com/recent/1960Correct_Atom/

You might want to cruise around on YouTube as well. I have seen some how to videos on that type of work. Search "mahogany plywood deck".
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-25-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
Mike,

You do know there is a Keaton club in NorCal right? If you need a contact hit me up: mikeskiw@gmail.com

These boats were notorious for settling in the rear running surface causing them to porpoise at speeds over 32-34mph. Various adjustable anti-cavitation plates were added to combat the issue. That one on the ski antique is one of the poorer examples I have seen. Most common cause was poor trailer support. I helped my father assemble the hull he purchased directly from Jack Keaton in 1968.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-25-2012, 3:19 PM Reply   
I am aware of the Keaton club/forum. Not exactly sure what you mean by settling but I have heard of the porpoising issue and seen several solutions including shingling the hull.
Old     (clownshoe)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-03-2012, 8:38 PM Reply   
I would wrap that old boat in a second, you will be amazed at how good it will look. Having a friend help you do it is a big plus. I wraped my BMW in satin black and it was great. I said was because I pulled the wrap off after two years. The project took me about 35 hrs doing it myself.
You can take a digital picture of an actual "woody" boat and have it replicated on vinyl to get the exact look you want. Material should run around one thousand dollars. Go for it !!