Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rubberduckey)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-28-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
Yesterday i saw some kids jumping off there wakeboard tower to go swiming my kids saw this and want to try it i told them not to because i dont know if that could damage /hurt the tower i have a big air h2o would this be ok.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-28-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
I guess it would depend on how sturdy the tower is. I know mine ( Older Flight Tower) does get a decent amount of left to right movement so someone jumping off would really push the tower to the side. Kids up to a certain weight may not really do much. I would be more worried about a slip and a miss though.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-28-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
I dont see the problem, I hang on my tower all the time... The only thing I would worrie about is just falling back on the boat.
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-28-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
I have a monster tower, and I can't let people jump or hang on it because it causes the bolts to loosen, and when I tow a rider after you can actually see the tower shifting in the direction of the rider... if they are small it shouldnt be a problem though.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-28-2011, 10:37 AM Reply   
We do this in my boat all the time. Have been fore years. I have even been through two towers on my boat (the first one was a OG Zeroflex, horrible design) really the only thing that sketchs me out is someone slipping and crashing on the the boat. Even Catching a shin on the way off would destroy your day. Cant say that I endorse the practice but it is fun!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-28-2011, 9:51 PM Reply   
don't do it, it's not worth it. Hanging from it is a lot different from someone pushing off at a high point, from one side. It can easily destroy the bolt connection on the leg of the tower. What towers are there nowadays that can really be climbed and jumped off of?
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       06-29-2011, 7:11 AM Reply   
We jump off my supra tower all the time but it's probably not good for it, I had to have it welded but I can't credit that entirely to jumping off it since it rocks pretty good on it's own
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-29-2011, 7:21 AM Reply   
I really don't see how this could damage the tower. It's under a lot more force when you are pulling a rider.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-29-2011, 10:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I really don't see how this could damage the tower. It's under a lot more force when you are pulling a rider.
that's what it's designed to do. Kids jumping off a tower is likely fine, but when you start having heavier people jumping off, and actually start pushing off because you want to make sure you get out away from the boat, you start putting torques and pressures on parts that are not made to have that. That prob doesn't make sense, but think about it this way, the rope going to the rider comes from the middle of the tower, would you expect the tower to perform if you put the rope towpoint on all the way towards one side of the tower? When people jump off, they're not jumping off the middle of the tower, they jump off the side, and your putting side to side tension, and mainly on one side. I ripped the pin out of the tower in my parents boat because we would always jump off of it. The tower is designed to have a rider pulling from the middle, not someone pushing off the top side. All my opinion of course
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-29-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
I snapped my Pro Flight lader style tower a couple years ago by jumping off of it.. But hey if it wont hold jumping off of it, it should not be on the boat..
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-29-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
yes, but the force of pulling a rider is being applied to the center of the tower, which then distributes that force evenly throughout the entire tower..

climbing and jumping off the side puts force on the side, which the tower was not designed to handle. I've seen the bolts on my tower come loose from this sort of activity
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-29-2011, 10:38 AM Reply   
hahahaha A-Dub we musta been literally typing the exact response at the same time..

great minds think alike sir
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-29-2011, 6:16 PM Reply   
I do it off my tower all the time. Stock 2003 tige. I do it because the kids like watching me do it. its fun too. I am 230# and have seen no ill effects. The hard part is getting my fat azz up there . I think you will be fine..but be careful; it would hurt to fall back in the boat for sure. Its round pipe and slipery when wet!