Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old    sbvfive            11-28-2004, 10:27 PM Reply   
Hi guys, I am thinking of buying a new (BU, MC, SAN, Boston Whaler) and I was wondering which one I should get??

Basically, I am sick of listening to people try and convince each other that their boat is better then the rest. I feel bad when people come on here looking for answers, post a relatively respectable thread about boats they are considering, and get nowhere because people own all types of boats, and they are all the best, depending on who you ask!! The arguing just gets to me. I am frustrated.....and think others must be as well. So here is what I propose. A list of Rules for boat threads. I'll start with a few, and everyone feel free to jump in.

Rules for initial poster
1.Title your thread, "a polite comparison between 2 fine boat manufacturers" No, just kidding, but don't title it Boat A vs. Boat B. Its not a boxing match, it is an opportunity for you to learn as much as possible, thereby resulting in an informed purchase. Plus, this type of title invites the flamers, haters, and rude folks to flame, hate, and be rude. A better title would be MC/BU pros/cons. I know that it doesn't seem like much, but it may help a little.

2. Include in your original post a list of specific questions, which will hopefully yield specific answers.

Examples

Instead of "Does an X-2 or SAN have a better wake" try "Describe the wakes of both an X-2 and a SAN. Are they rampy, steep, etc.??"

or

Instead of "Does an LSV or a Supra Launch have a better engine" try, "Could LSV and/or Supra Launch owners post and let me know how the engine on their respective boat performs??"

By asking specific questions, it will hopefully keep the thread on track, and avoid the my dad can beat up your dad type posts, such as
"X-Stars are better because I have one, and SAN's suck really bad" haha

3. Do not ask opinion questions. Period. Asking, "Do you think that the new tower on (insert boat here) looks cool?, just invites a war to break out. The only person who has an opinion that matters when it comes to questions like these are the person or persons who sign at the X, and their families/friends. On the same note, asking for information is great!
Note: The casual run of the mill, what do you think about such and such boat advancement is a different story! What I am referring to is the blatant "I can't make up my own mind and need to know which boat will make me appear cool, so which one should I get"

Rules for other posters

1. Only post on specifics....if the original poster asked a specific question, it deserves a specific answer. Do not overstep the bounds of the question. For example.

Q."Describe the wakes of both an X-2 and a SAN. Are they rampy, steep, etc.??"

A. Both wakes are relatively steep, although they both have a nice transition. The SAN seems to have a little more peak, while the X-2 seems to be a bit smoother off the top of the wake.(OR WHATEVER YOUR PERSONAL ANSWER MAY BE)

This is far better then
"Both are good, but the SAN is better. The SAN also has better gelcoat and the resale value is better if you calculate 47pi times 23.6. And the SAN is also cooler because this one time this pro rider told me so.

Basically, if you answer the question and don't add the extras unless they are specifically asked for, more questions get answered and less arguing will get in the way.

2. We all know that everyone has allegiances. That is cool. But before you answer any questions, let us know what team you are on. Simply put, say.

"I own a xxxx year xxxx boat. I really am happy/royally pissed with it, etc." or for all you professional 3rds "my favorite boat to ride behind is the xxxx year xxxx boat" NOTE: This is also a great way to get invited back out on someone elses boat. HAHA Praise for someone's boat posted online is awesome. Joe Umali seems has perfected this technique.(Joe I mean that in the best way!)

Than you can go on to answer a question. The reason for this is simple. Everyone's answers are a little biased. That is natural. If you are a xxxx boat dealer, just say so. This bias is great. But the fact is, you obviously feel that whichever boat you own, or ride behind, or sell is the best, on account of you bought one or choose to ride behind it. So your answers will reflect your personal opinion. The original poster should know that.

3. Just as original posters shouldn't ask for your opinion, you shouldn't offer it --unless you do this. IMO

When you tell someone your opinion, tell them that it is your opinion, thereby not offending anyone, and not coming across wrong.

Instead of "SAN's are the best boat for the $$"

say

"Hi, my name is John Doe and I own a 2002 SAN, which I love. IMO, SAN's are the best boat for the money, because of, A ,B, and C.

This way, your reasons get heard, you offend no one, and everyone wins!!

Anyway, this is my first post that actually took two sittings to write, so I'm gonna call it. Please feel free to add rules to the list. The more the better!! But try and keep it polite. Also note, This is my own humble opinion. If you disagree with mine or anyone elses rules, please state so in a grown up way! Also note, I lurk a bit on the "other site" but don't post much there because it is like a battlefield over there. I have found that WW is way better, nicer people, less flaming, etc. So in no way am I saying that WW is going down the tubes....I just think that we can make it better. Third Note, this rant/post is not directed at anyone in particular. I hope that I don't offend anyone, and if I do, I'll gladly apologize with one of those "cool email friend messeges" that we talked about the other day. haha. Just know that it is not my intention to bash anyone. This is just a general rant after years of lurking on this board and almost a year of posting! I hope that this helps all of the boat threads in the future. Fourth note, I expect a bit a flaming, but lets try and focus on my intentions of trying to help out fellow posters. I already know I am a moron, but if anyone feels the need to tell me that anyhow, have at it. Peace!

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-28-2004, 11:13 PM Reply   
rules for those who gets annoyed with boat wars.

1. ignore it.
2. click back.
3. why fight it? join in on the fun!

(Message edited by dakid on November 28, 2004)
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-28-2004, 11:40 PM Reply   
Whaler
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-29-2004, 6:28 AM Reply   
Get a Nauti cause you're close to SECC.
Oh yeah, I have an MC and they's good too, but the dealer could improve a pinch. Shhh.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-29-2004, 7:53 AM Reply   
The first rule should be don't post it on Wakeboarding Discussion - post it where it should be - Boats and Boat Accessories!!!!!!!
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-29-2004, 7:55 AM Reply   
Scott,
Who Elected you President?

Cause I sure didn't vote for you.
Old    vern            11-29-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
Don't go Nauti, they suck ;)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-29-2004, 8:13 AM Reply   
How to post 101!!
that's funny,don't hate just congradulate.
My boat is the best because I own it and all the other boat SUCK!!

Can you say fucisious.lol
Old    sbvfive            11-29-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
Well Guys, forget it! I just wanted to try and improve a situation that I felt could be improved. If no one feels the same way, I'll just let it go...

Erik Webb, the reason why I was elected president is because you were given a provisional ballot, which we threw out as soon as you left. haha, just kidding
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-29-2004, 10:22 AM Reply   
If your gonna buy a wakeboard boat, then you need to decide what exact kind of wake your looking for. Rampy like a vert ramp or jump rampy to send you out further than up. Nautiques are a very vert style ramp as to a M/c is more to send you out in the flats style. Try to get some rides behind different wakes before you buy. Dont listen to anyone else, its all what YOU like.
O yea. Malibu wakes are real flat, Needs lots of ballast to get a decent wake.
Good luck with your boat hunting and congrats
on wahtever you buy.
Wakeboarding for life.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-29-2004, 10:26 AM Reply   
Kevin ~ Newsflash,nobody is buying a boat!!
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-29-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
Hey Big ed, read the first line of the first post.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-29-2004, 10:34 AM Reply   
My bad I thought he was trying to SCHOOL us.I guess the Boston Whaler line made me believe different.Didn't mean to be offensive.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-29-2004, 10:45 AM Reply   
NO problem. I can see how the Boston Whaler comment could throw us off. Can you really board behind a fishing boat?.. LOL
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       11-29-2004, 11:18 AM Reply   
Does this guy iron his socks too?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-29-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
LOL

Scott, I think what Jonathan is trying to say is the system you have presented is a little too lengthy and regimented for the average wakeboarder. Cliff Notes version please.
Old    sbvfive            11-29-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
I don't even wear socks, I live in Orlando. Nor do I own an iron. Also, I am not buying a boat! I have a 99 X-Star. I was writing in response to the "boat wars", that seem to happen everytime someone posts about wanting to buy a new boat, much in the fashion of the first line of my post, which was purely hypothetical.

The Boston Whaler part was a joke!

I just felt that we could all make a little change in the way we approach the boat posts, which would help the poor guy that really doesn't know any better and comes on here looking for info. The reason why people post their questions here is because they want an honest opinion. When all of us start up the old fashioned boat wars, this doesn't get accomplished.

I realize that I created a bit of a stir, but it was with the best of intentions. (If someone tells me what the road to hell is paved with...)
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-29-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
see Ed you were right. What do you know.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-29-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
Yeah you know.I just got a hunch (if that's a word)for these things.

Scott ~ The intention might have been good but your approach was wrong didn't mean chop your head over it.
Old    sbvfive            11-29-2004, 7:21 PM Reply   
Big Ed, you didn't chop my head over it.

I just thought that making a statement of a problem, and then offering a solution, was the best approach.

I figured it would be better then voicing a problem and not even attepting to solve it, which is called whining.

What would you propose??
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-29-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
I propose!

Rules for those who get annoyed with boat wars.

1.ignore it.
2.click back.
3.why fight it?join in on the fun!

Hey wait a minute this is what Joe said.
Old    sbvfive            11-29-2004, 9:30 PM Reply   
That doesn't solve the initial problem. Maybe there is no problem....I don't know
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-29-2004, 9:41 PM Reply   
"I just felt that we could all make a little change..."

Scott, I truly admire your ambition, but if we really wanted to make a change, we would be joining the Surfrider foundation and getting out and cleaning up the water ways or doing something useful. If you stick around here long enough, you will realize that a primary reason many folks hang out on WakeWorld is for the pure fun and joy of getting into arguments over all sorts of stupid stuff.