Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-11-2005, 7:13 AM Reply   
www.centurionboats.com
Lokks much better than last year.
Old    zboomer            02-11-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
Gotta admit, I love Centurion's boat names!
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-11-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
"All the versatility you want, plus, snap-out carpet!"

I still can't get over the pricing for the '05s. A Lightning C4 costs almost 50k!

Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-11-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
Centurion should just market thier boats for Wakesurfing!!!! I never see one on any lake I go to, and I dont know any body who rides behind one. I do not know how companies like them stay in business with the big 4. CC, BU, MC, SUP/MOOM
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-11-2005, 4:13 PM Reply   
There are plenty of centurions out there. If you separate Supra and Moomba, they sell more than Supra and are creeping up on Moomba.
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=33338&highlight=numbers

(Message edited by talltigeguy on February 11, 2005)
Old    zboomer            02-11-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
I'd love to know where they're selling those boats, and the numbers seem suspect to me. Around here I see 25 Supra's for every Centurion. We have dealers for both.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-11-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
We have a centurion dealer here in San Diego and I never see one of thier boats anywhere. Im not putting them down but Im just making an observation.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-11-2005, 4:28 PM Reply   
I should add I'm not defending Centurion. We had a Centurion dealer in Southern Utah, and I chose a different brand. The dealer then went out of business...It was more to do with service department issues than selling boats - there seems to be plenty of them on the water here.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
eric,

it is funny you should say that about the centurion dealer in san diego....
i was looking at cenutrion and the dealer could not give me a straight price on the boat and options(all over the place)- after 3 times/45 minute drives to see him- i gave up
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-11-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
Sorry you guys haven't seen any or couldn't make agood deal. Here in MD, we had not problem, our dealer treated us like gold. He also sells the Nautiques and Malibus but his Centurion business is picking up real well. I don't think they have a huge network of dealers, but I am more than pleased after shopping and sticking to my budget.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-11-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
Patt- I would hope your dealer is happy to help. The markup on these boats is huge.

Mike- I'm with you. No straight answers on pricing/options. And the factory rep says "everyone uses chop guns in the corners." I just walked away...
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-11-2005, 10:16 PM Reply   
Talltigeguy -- I know it's ticky-tack, but using the latest solid numbers, Centurion is NOT creeping up on Moomba. That doesn't mean they're bad boats. I'm just saying that Moomba was one of the top two marketshare gainers in the wakeboard industry in 2004. While Centurion had positive growth in 2004, they're not at Moomba's sales level (or about to overtake it). I suppose it's possible you're referring to sales from Jan/Feb 2005, but I don't have any reliable numbers on that yet. Just another perspective.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-12-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
Doug.....I don't know what overall markup has been around other parts of the country, but we paid way less for our Cyclone than most other people on this site did for their Cyclones. Next closest competitor was $6000 more for a 20 footer with same equipment. All the deals we attemped with various dealers, was for a boat to be ordered with our specific options. Most of the boats we looked at on the lots had way more stuff than we wanted to afford. Maybe some folks could call my wife and 14 year old son and take their class on how to negotiate a boat sale. She does it with all our vehicles too. She can tell in the first 5 minutes whether she is gonna buy from them or not. then we don't have to spend 3 hours haggling over nothing. We got pretty lucky.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-12-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
Matt,

I don't know what 'solid numbers' you are referring to, but the centurion's GROWTH comparing 03 to 04 is more than Moomba's and Supra's. i.e. Centurion is creeping up on Moomba.

I am only referring to the numbers in the thread I referred to, which might be completely bogus. After reading the entire thread, there does seem to be plenty of debate about their accuracy.

It would be nice to see some numbers from a reliable source.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on February 12, 2005)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
Just to Clarify a couple of points
The Centurions that are being built starting in February will come with the Scorpion 330 HP engine standard any boats built before February came with the MAG MPI 315 HP engine. So most of the boats at dealerships had the standard Engine.

The Top selling inboard / V drive in Ca is the drum roll please….Centurion
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2005, 8:28 PM Reply   
Doug H

What was on a Lightning C4 for 50K?

Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-13-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
Kevin-

Notice I said almost 50k. Granted the boat was loaded with all the goodies. I thought the gages should be easier to read and the glove box cover is hideous... Stuff you might see on a 35-40k boat. I didn't notice the engine option. Have any of the base model Scorpion engined boats made it to the show circuit?

The Centurions were parked right next to the Nautiques with similiar pricing. I guess that why I found the Centurion prices so amusing.

This dealer is definitely marking up, $1800 for a MonsterTower and $700 to install...

Patt- Happy to hear that you got a good deal. Are you going to start marketing you wife's services?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-13-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   

Hmm "glove box cover is hideous" well it is a dark gray plastic thing that covers the glove box and matches the dash. I don’t think I would describe it as “hideous" but I can't say that I pay that much attention to it. I agree the gauges are nice looking but could be easier to read.

I am sure that some dealers will have the Scorpion in boats if they got them in very late.
It is not a new engine it has always been an option.

Wow Natiques and Centurions with "similar pricing" can't say as I have ever seen that.

How do you like your Falcon?

(Message edited by krbaugh on February 13, 2005)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-13-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
Picture of a Centurion glove box
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-13-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
Doug......I will only market her negotiation services. The other services belong exclusively to me.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-14-2005, 5:16 AM Reply   
Oh me did not mean to start the boat war thing.

Doug H, I dont know about 50K for a Lightning. We had one at the Atlanta Show for 37,500.00. Had Perfect Pass, board racks , ballast, bimini, cover, etc. Maybe the dealer was in need of some money.

The numbers I saw recently had Mailbu top sell in CA then Centurion. Overall Nationwide I can't remember the order but I'm wanting to say Centurion was 4th only behind Malibu,CC,and MC can't remember the exact order.

Everytime someone brings up Centurion WHY all the hating. I don't get it. Has everyone here had a bad experience. My experience has been nothing but A+. Granted I was not around 4 years ago but still I just don't get it. Over the past 2 years I have seen Centurion put out nice boats and they continue to up the standard.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-14-2005, 7:00 AM Reply   
I am sure that you could price out any Centurion for 50K or close to it as Doug said if you add enough options however it would not make much since in the smaller boats.

I have no idea why the bashers love to pile on Centurion so much.

My numbers are from last year I have not seen any current numbers. Either way Centurion sells huge numbers in E Double U (three6ty) back yard
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-14-2005, 9:33 AM Reply   
I am considering purchasing a Centurion Avalanche or Cyclone in 06. They looked pretty decent at the boat shows.I was qouted some damn good pricing on a fully loaded leftover 04 Avalanche......around 38K, but we decided to get another year out of the Moomba and look for a V-drive in 06. I would love to hear "real" owner experiences from the 04-05 Centurion Owners and not what others may or may not have read on the internet.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-14-2005, 10:16 AM Reply   
Amen Jeff. When I was boat shopping and did a search on this site it scared me to death. But in reality it was a couple of isolated incidents that were posted several times and all the facts were not laid out until the end. Ever since those threads its almost like Centurion does not exist on this site. I have a 2002 and could never be happier. I have plans to purchase an 06 and cannot wait. I had an serious issue with the dealer I bought my boat from and Centurion took care me period. I did not even have to get excited to get a response. I think Centurion is a great company and the sky is the limit with them. All of this is not an opinion it is fact because I do have first hand experience and nothing but a smile on my face.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-14-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
That is good to hear for sure. I was told that the ride on the newer Centurions was very good and not too shabby in the rough stuff either (at least for a wakeboard boat anyways....)

I guess we will have to see in 06 when we go test ride the Avalanche and Cyclone. We are also going to give the Malibu V-Ride a test ride as well.

I mainly just want a solid V-drive boat with PP, Internal Ballast, and a tower........without having to sell the farm to pay for it!!
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-14-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   
I would love to hear your review on the V-Ride vs. Avalanche.
Old    sebastian            02-14-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
I have Elite v-drive storm1 '02. I'm happy with it. Best beng for you buck.
Old     (san_man)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-14-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
How is the wakeboard wake?
How is the surf Wake?

Old    sebastian            02-14-2005, 5:39 PM Reply   

21mph 900lb 900lb 3people in the boat,
Not bad?
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-14-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
Jeff Ala....We have an 04 Cyclone with the storm 3 package. Absolutely love it. Test drove a few other brands but it came down to the final deal. Don't know anything about the Avalanche except all the Centurion people say is will be the same wake just a little bigger. You will learn to ride behind whichever wake you end up buying, but like you said, without sellin the farm. Every brand of boat will have it's negative experiences. Only thing is, you won't hear the Mastercraft, SAN and Malibu guys tell you things outloud. They are too embarrased with the fact that they paid a ton more for their ride and still had some kind of problem. We had a problem with guage that was made by Faria, and they replaced it after only one call. Faria is a top brand but even they sometimes have a bad piece. So please don't let any non-centurion owners spook you. Only thing that made me not get the Avalanche was $. More money to buy it, it is heavier so it cost more to tow it, and more gas to use it. Just some food for thought. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask anything. I don't know where Chesterfield is, but if you go to Lake Anna, give me a shout, we'll hook you up with a demo ride on ours.
Old    sebastian            02-14-2005, 6:42 PM Reply   
all in the middle 350lb stock and fatboy 600lb on the floor in the middle I might have a pic If I find it i'll shoot it over
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-14-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
here is a pic with 600 lbs in the center and three people

we love our boat so much its so great toms of storage not to big great wake all around A plus
Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-14-2005, 7:00 PM Reply   
Jeff, We bought a 04 v-drive air warrior. All smiles here. I had a natique owner drive it to give us some feedback. His comment was " a very solid and tight boat" Do yourself a favor and look at all the boats out there. Each dealer has their own personality and so does each brand of boat. IMHO Centurion makes a beautiful machine, but so does Natique,M/C,Sanger,M/B,Mal,etc......get the drift? peace
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-14-2005, 7:11 PM Reply   
Hey tom whats up how your new board? have you ridden it yet?
Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-14-2005, 7:22 PM Reply   
Zack, Not yet! Can't wait for the weather to heat the water up just a little. Zack helped me with my wakeboard at the boat show. I dont know why but I liked the new 05 era 142. If it rides as sweet as its graffics..should be da bomb. I'll let you all know. peace
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-15-2005, 7:35 AM Reply   
It is good to hear all of these positive comments.

Tom that is funny you mention about the Nautique owner. A friend of the family has a Nautique and we went my boat and was very suprised how mime handled. Needless to say, he was impressed.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-15-2005, 10:12 AM Reply   
Nice to hear some positive replies guys.

Hey Pat, as a matter of fact we are putting are Moomba up at Sturgeon Creek Marina in the next week or two, so we will be out at Anna every weekend. I will keep those tips in mind about the Cyclone. I think we will be looking in 06 for sure. I am new to the sport and got a steal on the Moomba this winter. I figured it would be fine as a boat to learn on with a few sacs and then I could upgrade to the V-drive once I progress some. Did you get your boat from Southern Ski? That's who I will be going to check out the boats when it comes time to anti up for the V-drive. I'd love to check yours out some time. I'll drop you an email once it warms up. :-)

Jeff
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-15-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
I think it's funny how everyone is so worried about what a 'Nautique owner' thinks about their boat. Like someone that owns a Nautique is an expert on all that is boating.

I've got a lot of friends that have Malibu/Nautique/MasterCraft that despise my boat, but I could really care less.

Not trying to start a flame war, just always thought it was funny how if anyone wants to legitimize their boat brand, they let a 'Nautique owner' drive it.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
Nick, its funny you say that. I have ridden behind anything from a run about to a SAN. A good rider should be able to do all his tricks behind most any comp boat some boats just take a little more work than others. Oh and yes I have a SAN and in no way despise other boats. I had a 78 master craft that I rode behind for years and learned all my tricks behind that boat. I was just lucky enough to get a SAN and have a gal that supported the idea. Besides if your friends despise your boat than they are not really wakeboarding for the main reason to have fun. I say who cares what others think about your boat. Its yours and your the one having fun behind it.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-15-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
Nick if you think I'm worried about what a Nautique owner thinks of my boat you're crazy. Where did you get that from? The guy gave my boat compliment so I shared with everyone. I was just saying what the guy said. Please don't take what I say out of context.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-15-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
Personally, I see way more Centurions on the water than Supra or Moomba. And yes, I'm one of those guys that can't stand the Centurion wake. Maybe I'm not a well-rounded enough rider to make it happen, but I have to be honest. I "depise" elite V-drive wake.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-15-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
The Elite V is a hard wake to dail in. I have seen nasty ones and nice ones. When we ride, it is just center ballast and 7 to 8 people. We love the wake it puts out. The Elite V does not like weight in the back of the boat because of the spray pockets, but once you get it right it is pretty nice.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
"The Centurion Wake" ?? All of the new boats have a way different hull and wake than the Elite V.
Have you been behind a Enzo or Avalanche or Cyclone or the new hull under the Lightning C4

Most of the Centurion V drives have the new hull.
The Elite V Drive/Lightning ride on the old ski boat hull with spray pockets
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-15-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
Jeff, we got ours from Chessie Marine in NE Maryland. Keep an eye out for us startin in May. Sometimes we stay at the campground, sometimes at the Lighthouse Inn, sometimes at the Lake Anna Lodge. You will find us riding North of Hunters Landing.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-15-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
Lance, I wasn't really calling you out, I just see that a lot and think it's funny.

Squid, I could care less what they think and I'll keep my own opinion of Centurion to myself. In any given year I am driving or at least in about every major brand of boat out there. Most make a good product, some are a little ahead of others. Like you said, it's all about having fun.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-16-2005, 6:02 AM Reply   
Sounds good Pat. I'll be in a dark green Moomba Outback with a tower.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-16-2005, 6:11 AM Reply   
Nick no hard feelings here at all. I'm just a proud Centurion owner.