Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-03-2014, 8:33 AM Reply   
I have a brand new Dodge Ram 2500 and not happy with the headlights. I have already switched out the stock bulbs for 5K light which helped. I want to add fog lights that are bright, but got me thinking of light bars pointed down low. I am assuming they are illegal in California, but does anyone know?

Anybody have any specific thoughts on fog lights or similar?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-03-2014, 8:58 AM Reply   
A $150 HID kit will make a night a day difference. Most high end HID bulbs include a High Beam now. But if you want some extra light and don't wanna break the bank check out these lights from a local place (Sacramento) called Sidetracked off-road. Com they have a bunch of different style led light bars and fog lights.
I have a set of the Square fog lights on my GEM car and they are awesome.
https://www.sidetrackedoffroad.com/l...rk-lights.html
Attached Images

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-03-2014, 1:20 PM Reply   
I know the HIDs are street legal - what about the sidtecakcs?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-03-2014, 1:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
I know the HIDs are street legal - what about the sidetracks?
The short answer is NO they are not legal. I'm sure they are " For Off Road use ONLY" like 99% of aftermarket products. I guess it's all about how and when you use them would decide their legality.

Fog lights are not going to make a huge diff as far as long distance light. HID's will do the trick for you. The LED fog lights will help but the work horse will be the HID's and most Kits are a simple plug and play. The bulb plugs into your factory bucket and the Wires to the HID ballast connect to your factory harness
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-03-2014, 3:02 PM Reply   
May need a different wiring harness to get some real power to the headlamps. Most stock trucks headlights are horribly underpowered.

Only 4 forward facing lights are legal. again that would probably depend on when/where you have them on.

Last edited by denverd1; 12-03-2014 at 3:06 PM.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-08-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
G thanx - working with sidetrack now. I am thinking 20" light bar behind grille, pointed down like fog lights and maybe upgrading to HIDs. Seems like real good guys over there.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-08-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
Jason: yeah they're good guys over there at sidetracked. I'm not sure if you're interested in it but the cool factor is very high on their curved LED light bars that would go across the top of your windshield check them out if you get a chance. Also I don't know if you know but Tim from what sounds cause a LED light bar company as well. It's called rogue 4. They make some very high off-road lights as well as rigid.

With the combination of H IDs and a lightbar should be like daylight. If it was me I would start with the H IDs and then go with the lightbar.
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-08-2014, 10:26 AM Reply   
HIDs for highs, lows, & fogs with the "all on" mod PLUS light bar.
I can see at night
Name:  Grille after.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  75.1 KB
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-08-2014, 3:27 PM Reply   
don't blind me, bro!

do you guys with bright lights get flashed by oncoming traffic alot?
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       12-08-2014, 4:32 PM Reply   
If you put plug and play HID kits in your halogen reflectors, you are blinding everyone. There is a reason they are illegal like that, and if you come across me on the road, you're getting all 20k lumens of rigid industries lighting on my truck
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       12-08-2014, 5:37 PM Reply   
Btw don't mess with any other led light bar brand bud Rigid. Have some with Amber covers in my dogs, a 20 and a 40.

Picture attached is only the dually fogs and no Amber covers. No headlights on.
Attached Images

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-08-2014, 9:04 PM Reply   
I hope I dont ever drive in front of you guys, haha.

but seriously, some cars have lights that are blinding even with the rear view mirror switched over. It really sucks driving in front of cars with these bright lights.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-09-2014, 2:04 PM Reply   
I don't know anything about this brand, but WOOT has some lights on sale thru the 14th.

http://tools.woot.com/plus/lazer-sta...5?ref=cnt_wp_5

on a bright light related note, as anyone else noticed how bright the brake lights have gotten on new cars lately? that crap drives me crazy in traffic. lol.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-10-2014, 8:34 AM Reply   
Why don't you do a retrofit and get some projectors into your primary headlights?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/