Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-04-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
What is common for getting boat watter ready after winter ?
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-04-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
Make sure all your plugs are in. Check all fluids. Change raw water impeller. Don't forget the often neglected trailer maintenance.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-04-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
If winterized correctly: Hook up trailer, drive to boat ramp, install plug, back boat into water, fire up and let idle till warm, unhook bow strap, back off trailer and go play.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-04-2010, 2:39 PM Reply   
Depends on how it was winterized & what equipment you have? What boat? Engine? Do you have a heater or shower?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-04-2010, 3:40 PM Reply   
I also always replace the oil/oil filter as it has sat in the engine for 6 months. Change the tranny fluid if it hasn't been done in a couple years. Replace impeller as stated above and reinstall any required plugs. Check your belts and maybe change spark plugs if it hasn't been done in a few years either. Just give it a once over to make sure all your Navi lights work, you got all the life jackets back in....whatever else you may have taken out. Connect the trailer and make sure all lights work. Air in the tires if needed. I usually clean the boat again even though I did it before I put it away.

Give it a big hug and a kiss if you haven't seen it in a few months!

Go shred the liquid gnar!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-04-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
I also always replace the oil/oil filter as it has sat in the engine for 6 months. Change the tranny fluid if it hasn't been done in a couple years. Replace impeller as stated above and reinstall any required plugs. Check your belts and maybe change spark plugs if it hasn't been done in a few years either. Just give it a once over to make sure all your Navi lights work, you got all the life jackets back in....whatever else you may have taken out. Connect the trailer and make sure all lights work. Air in the tires if needed. I usually clean the boat again even though I did it before I put it away.

Give it a big hug and a kiss if you haven't seen it in a few months!

Go shred the liquid gnar!
Just and FYI, its never a good idea to leave the used oil in the crankcase during storage. Used oil is acidic and corrosive and will etch the soft metals such as bearing and pistons. It also contains moisture, which is a normal byproduct of combustion as well as the environment the boat is used in. The oil and filter should always be changed in Fall and the engine run afterwards to circulate the fresh clean oil.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-04-2010, 4:25 PM Reply   
^^^ I do an oil change before I put the boat away and when I pull it out again for the spring. Are you saying I should completely drain all the oil out of the engine before putting away for the season?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-04-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
^^^ I do an oil change before I put the boat away and when I pull it out again for the spring. Are you saying I should completely drain all the oil out of the engine before putting away for the season?
No. It sounded like you left the previous season's oil in for the winter and then changed for Spring, my bad. And no, don't drain and leave empty as this allows condensation to build up in the crankcase as well. To be honest, it's not necessary to do an oil change in the Spring, if one was done in Fall. But it doesn't hurt.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-04-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Just change it at the end of the season so you don't leave used acidic oil in it all winter. There is no need to do it again in the spring.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-05-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Just and FYI, its never a good idea to leave the used oil in the crankcase during storage. Used oil is acidic and corrosive and will etch the soft metals such as bearing and pistons. It also contains moisture, which is a normal byproduct of combustion as well as the environment the boat is used in. The oil and filter should always be changed in Fall and the engine run afterwards to circulate the fresh clean oil.
How if the oil is just sitting and engine is never started?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
There are so many trains of thought on when to change your oil. I've tried to validate one or the other but haven't seen any real authority's proof either way.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-05-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
I've heard both too, but tend to think you should change it before the season due to the condesation that builds up ontop of it through out the winter. That's what I do with my lawnmower
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-05-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
I've heard both too, but tend to think you should change it before the season due to the condesation that builds up ontop of it through out the winter. That's what I do with my lawnmower
Agreed. Why would you put new oil in, have it sit for 6-7 months in freezing weather and then just fire it up and be good to go. Doesn't make sense to me, heck even cars say 3-5k miles or 3 months
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-05-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
i've heard both sides too. i just do my lubes in the spring along with a fresh impeller. i'd reconsider if i was putting a ton of hours on each season.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-05-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
I always, and lots of shops also, loosen the belts over the winter so you need to check that they are still tight.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jame04 View Post
..... even cars say 3-5k miles or 3 months
I've never heard to change your oil every 3 months.

I live like 5 or 6 miles from my office. So it takes me a lot more than 3 months to get up to 3000 miles in the truck.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-05-2010, 5:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
I've never heard to change your oil every 3 months.

I live like 5 or 6 miles from my office. So it takes me a lot more than 3 months to get up to 3000 miles in the truck.
The reason is because of oxidation. Oxidation happens faster at higher temperatures hence the mileage interval but oxidation still occurs even if you dont put many miles on your vehicle.

Effects of oxidation within the engine can be seen in the form of accelerated acid formation, corrosion, oil thickening, deposit formation, and accelerated wear.
Old     (Donski)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-05-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
I just change my oil before I put it up for the season. I see no need to waste fresh oil unless someone has a valid reason? If unused oil were to lose it's viscosity after 3 months then you'd see a lot oil on clearance racks. Something I've never seen in my life.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-07-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
Has nothing to do with viscosity Brandon. Once the oil is introduced to oxygen then oxidation starts to take place. Oil is sealed in a container on the shelf. Once the seal is broken the "clock" starts. The "clock" speeds up when the oil is heated.

The debate on changing oil after the season ends or before the season starts will always be argued. But the results of excessive wear to engines either way has yet to be proven. Either way isnt going to cause any excessive damage to your engine.