Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                08-18-2004, 7:11 AM Reply   
Hello
I have a Hi8 sony camcourder and i was wondering how i can edit videos i record with it is there a program by any chance for the pc or anything
thanks for your input
Old                08-18-2004, 7:19 AM Reply   
the inexpensive way would be to buy pinnacle studio 9. a more expensive route would be to get Liquid Edition, Adobe Premiere Pro, or Vegas.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-18-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
Pinnacle is inexpensive but is VERY VERY buggy and has tons of glitches. I have used it for years (studio 8) and still have hangs and crashes. I upgraded to studio 9 a few months back and I am not lying when I say it totally crashed my system to the point of needing my entire windows system reinstalled. If you have a way of hooking up your camera to the computer, I would suggest going to cnet.com and downloading some trial versions of software to see what is going to work best with your system. Also, go to this website and post a message on your needs and you will get more then enough info on what to do. http://www.dvdrhelp.com
(Message edited by colorider on August 18, 2004)

(Message edited by colorider on August 18, 2004)
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2004, 4:27 PM Reply   
First you'll need to get the video from your camera to the computer. Do you have a Digital-Hi8 or just a regular Hi8?

If your camera does not have firewire you'll need to get a bridge like this in order to transfer the video: Dazzle DVC120

Assuming you have windows XP check out Windows Movie Maker II(it's FREE). This will give the opportunity to learn the basics before dropping $300+ for an editing application.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2004, 4:32 PM Reply   
If you're still in school, many of the top names like Adobe, Apple, Avid, etc.. offer educational discounts.

Adobe:
http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/education_pricing.html

Apple:
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html

Misc:
http://www.academic-softwares.com/products.asp

Another WakeWorld.com post with info about editing
Old                08-19-2004, 6:51 AM Reply   
I don't know if it is digital or not the tape is the size of a deck of cards and i know i can hook it up to the tv with the three input wires
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-19-2004, 7:12 AM Reply   
The tapes are the same size for digital Hi8 or Hi8. Check and see if it has a firewire port, I believe all of the digital 8 cameras did.
Old                08-19-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
what does a firewire port look like?
Old                08-19-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
Where can i buy the programs
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-19-2004, 8:06 PM Reply   
asdasd
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-19-2004, 8:59 PM Reply   
Matt, I would highly suggest you got the each software's website and download the demo version to see if it is going to work for you need and on your system. Video editing software is NOT cheap and can be quirky from computer to computer
Old                08-20-2004, 6:57 AM Reply   
I have the blue Lanc port but not the black looking USP port
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-20-2004, 9:27 AM Reply   
The cable laying there is a firewire cable. The one he's showing you is under what says DV in/out.