Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Collegiate Wakesports

Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-22-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
Hey y'all, does anyone have any up-to-date info on college wakeboarding programs in FL? The information on this website: http://www.collegewakeboard.com/ as well as on this forum is years out of date and a lot of the programs listed don't even exist any more. Is there anyone left? The only one I know of for sure is Holdsworth's Chicks Dig Flips club at ERAU in Daytona Beach.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-22-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
Rollins? Florida Southern? I know USF has a team
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
They all still have clubs. You can likely find their information through the Rec Sports department of that particular school.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-22-2011, 1:34 PM Reply   
Rollins' email is down and when I visited there a year ago, the club president told me the club was dying. I will have to do some more research if no one has specifics for Florida Southern and USF. Thanks for the tip though.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-22-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
Just remembered, USF's website is down as well. Not a good sign.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-22-2011, 2:08 PM Reply   
I know I contacted the USF club president and few others last fall to invite them out on my boat. They were interested but timing didnt work out. A few of them Ive seen at McCormicks i'll ask around.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Just remembered, USF's website is down as well. Not a good sign.
creating, maintaining and updating a website is not the easiest thing to do, especially when you're a college student and want to spend extra time riding. Add to that website, unless through the school, are not free, as well as most schools want to control information that is representative of their school. You're going to have to go to them, they're not going to be the easiest to find. The majority also have facebook pages, and that is their main way of keeping updated.

That said. #2 size school in the nation now, and the best campus on earth: http://www.wakeucf.com/

Go Knights!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-22-2011, 4:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
That said. #2 size school in the nation now, and the best campus on earth: http://www.wakeucf.com/

Go Knights!
Whoa, very impressive!
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-29-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
I know for a fact that USF is still there. we competed against them in california in april. they ended up winning Empire Wake's National Championship. Super nice guys. had a hell of a party with them after they killed us on the water.
Old     (mtualdstrction)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-01-2011, 11:00 AM Reply   
What's up y'all? USF is stronger than ever! We hold ride days at some of the florida cable parks for club members, students, and their friends 1 to 2 times a month (free riding). We also hand out 2 hr. ride passes for member participation in club activities to the local cable park, I don't know of any other schools that do that. We organize events and tailgates at the football games. We're also the biggest sports club on campus with member numbers fluctuating between 700 and 1,000. The website thing is a long story but here is our school page http://ctr.usf.edu/scc/?page_id=126 Thanks for the props Nick!
Old     (RJ)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
i know University of Flordia and Flordia Gulf Coast still have a team because they were at nationals this year
Old     (RJ)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
hey mtualdstrction i saw on your team page that it said u guys were 2011 nationa champs but at the alt games tennesse won the title. everyone says the alt games are nationals. Is there another nationals that we" Arizona state" doesnt know about??? cuz if so we'd like to go this go year.

thanks R.J
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-05-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
hey mtualdstrction i saw on your team page that it said u guys were 2011 nationa champs but at the alt games tennesse won the title. everyone says the alt games are nationals. Is there another nationals that we" Arizona state" doesnt know about??? cuz if so we'd like to go this go year.

thanks R.J
Ur a lucky bro!! Going to Arizona State...what I would have done to go to school there with the mass amounts of hotties!!
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-08-2011, 12:05 PM Reply   
RJ. there is another series. www.empirewake.com has its own collegiate wake series. ULM tries to ride in both series but we have been far more active in the Collegiate wake series so far.
Old     (mtualdstrction)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-09-2011, 1:08 PM Reply   
Yeah I know it's confusing but I'll try to explain clearly without inciting a controversy.

As Nick said, there are two organizations: Empire Wake and Alt Games. After a long careful deliberation and keeping our ear to the ground we chose Empire for three big reasons: other school's participation, contest formatting, and marketing effort on the part of the organization hosting the events. This past year during fall when there were qualifying events going on, we were noticing that there was higher participation levels at the Empire events. We wanted to ride where there were the most schools thus adding relevance to our (hopeful at the time) national title and so we went with Empire. Alt Games has schools host their events and there isn't much oversight in rules or judges so for example, if we were to host a contest we would provide the judges (conflict of interest). Also, Empire writes articles in magazines/online and utilizes social media. I got word from Alt games about their regional contest through the organization we are funded, a week before the regional contest. You will soon learn if you don't know now, that to get a contest paid for by the school, takes a looooonnnnggg time. The BIG thing that Alt Games has is that nationals is televised on ABC Wide World of Sports or something. Also, Empire events are a bit "casual" we have a good time though and I have had very little to no disagreement with judging results. What I've learned about college wakeboarding, go through all avenues to build a big annual budget and raise money for fun stuff. Contest are more about the road trip experience with friends.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-09-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
^^^^^^ exactly what he said. We don't compete to just to win. We compete cause it gives us a reason to hop on a plane and go to cali or somewhere. This year, empire is in vegas. I plan on getting the whole team there one way or the other. When we went to long beach this year, I took 14 team members even tho only 9 could ride. We had entriely too much fun after we got knocked out of the tournament. Best trip ever! It started with us taking patron shots for free with the flight attendants on the way over there and only got better from there!

Make your budget as big as you can and spend most of it on stuff around your school like parties, rail jams, and whatnot. So much better that way.
Old     (RJ)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-09-2011, 4:16 PM Reply   
i cannot agree with both of you more it is about meeting the wakeboard community around the nation and having a good time. and yes i truley argee that is idiotic that at the alt game regionals the college brings there own judges which with most likely favor there own riders chris needs to bring his own judges up there

and yeah nick our fund raisers will mostly be our parties at the wakeboard house charging for guy entry and drinks at the bar hahahahh but yea our goal mabey not this year but next year to hit up all of the wakeboarding events as possible

and mtualds we plan on hitting of the tampa regional this year so hope to see you there and can u also put your team contact info on the thread "New!! does your college have a waketeam" thanks!
Old     (mtualdstrction)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-10-2011, 10:39 AM Reply   
Yeah I'll post the info. I actually graduated this year but I'm sure I'll be there to hang and ride the cable. College riding should be 10 times bigger than it is. Good talking to everyone!
Old     (ort)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-21-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
Hey man,

I help run the UF wakeboard club and team and drive the boat for the school. I know that Fsu, Usf, unf, fgcu, ucf, all have teams.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-12-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
Hey man,

I help run the UF wakeboard club and team and drive the boat for the school. I know that Fsu, Usf, unf, fgcu, ucf, all have teams.
Tough loss last weekend