Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-27-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
I know there's been a couple of posts on this so far but I just want to know if anyone is using this on their ride right now? I'm thinking of getting one but haven't heard a lot of feedback regarding them ie. affecting boat handling etc, or if it actually even reduces the exhaust that much. Seems like a great idea, but I'd like to get as much info as possible before buying.
Old    surfdad            03-27-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
Hey Jason, how are things in the Great White North? :-) I've had the FAE on my '03 Tige 23V for...shoot, I think this will be the third season.

Pretty much does exactly what it says. Quieted my boat by probably 50%. This was an unexpected benefit. My boat was really very loud and after installing FAE the difference was dramatic.

It also eliminates virtually all "noticeable" trace of exhaust fumes from my boat both at the rider area and inside the boat. I haven't attempted to read it with any equipment, but in the two years we've used it you just don't notice any fumes.

It was easy to install, and I understand that the current versions have improvements over mine.

I've never had an issue with handling or failure in the 2+ years I've used mine.
Old     (ripcurl74)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-28-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
Hey Jeff! Things are good! Thanks for asking... Just waiting another month or so before we can actually get on the water here and use our new ride and new gear! You guys don't know how lucky you are down there!. I'm leaning towards getting one, have you found it affects tight turns at higher speeds at all? That's the only negative comments I've heard, and don't know how much truth there is to them?
Old    surfdad            03-28-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
I have heard the same thing - but typically avoid doing those power turns anyway, so haven't had the opportunity to test that aspect. I know the design of the FAE is such that if it hits anything, it will swing away and not destroy the FAE or where it attaches to the boat. SO, I could see that a fast tight turn could possibly cause it to swing away.

I changed the pitch of my prop a few years back to make lugging around 2000 pounds easier, and so our top speed is down maybe 7 mph. I might not even be able to generate the type of speed that's required to disengage the FAE.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-28-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
I've got one on my '00 Tige and love it. This will be my second season with it. Had i known how much I would like it, I would have put it on years ago. Easy install and haven't had a single issue with it. Great people to work with and a great product.

So far as high speed turns power turns, no, they're not recommended. I haven't done a full speed power turn with it on, but I have cranked on it pretty hard in order to get back to a fallen rider. No issues.

All in all, one of the best upgrades to the boat yet. Well worth every penny.