Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-03-2010, 6:48 PM Reply   
It should also be noted Dirty, that I never said I could do better than Ryan. I said that I could make something much more creative, which was supposed to imply that I was aware of the lack of legitimately creative shots in mine... And while the cinematography in Ryan's video is absolutely amazing, there are only a few shots that are legitimately creative. The rest are standard shots from videos that he did better than pretty much everyone. Zip line shots were being done long before his. The slow tracking shots are done everywhere in dozens upon dozens of videos. Rewritten's trailer was basically the same kind of shots, the same slow tracking/panning. I've seen the same shots in Kilgus's, Umali's, Seidenglanz's, Stephens's and Romero's videos. His shots are exceptionally well made, but not especially creative. So before you start drooling all over his video, maybe you should watch some others and you'll see where his inspiration came from.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Ryan's video, I'm just pointing out that his video isn't this bastion of creativity that you keep acting like it is. Amazingly well made, yes. Drop dead gorgeous shots, absolutely, super creative? Not in particular. And you'd be surprised at how many shots I had that were very similar to that, but that I cut because I went in a different direction with a different song from the original plan, or because they didn't turn out well due to lighting and focus/steadiness issues with my dinky little HG-10 that is broken to the point that I can't even change the settings on it. Does it justify me making a very meh video? Helllll no. But it does mean that I was working on the same kinds of shots, I just couldn't get them to appear how I wanted them because I'm not all that good.

But now that I have the challenge with you calling me out like you did (and you called me out first), I'm going to do everything in my power to get the shots that I wanted within the next two weeks.