Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Gryphon)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-11-2013, 3:54 PM Reply   
During the weekend I sprang a leak on my 2011 Axis A20. Here are two pictures, one from each side. Other then the hose being disconnected I was under the impression that there should be a lock nut and an adjustable nut. Am I missing something?

Also, the top brass part with the hose attached to it spins freely and has spun to the side and is crimping the hose running to it.

Any help with what I need to do to correct the issue is appreciated. All I can tell is that the hose needs to be reattached but I would need to loosen it off on the bottom clamps as it appears to be too short to reattach to the upper part.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Gryphon; 06-11-2013 at 3:57 PM.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-11-2013, 4:34 PM Reply   
That is a dripless shaft seal and the small braided hose takes water from the exhaust manifold down to the seal. The barbed portion for the seal should be fully inserted into the 1 3/4 inch hose and both clamps good and tight. looks like someone forgot to tighten the hose clamps on the shaft seal or the bearing in the shaft seal is starting to seize and caused the housing to rotate and pull out. Looks like you got lucky something like that can sink a boat in a hurry my shaft seal it safety wired so it can only turn about 1/2 of a turn and most importantly cant pull out and leave a huge hole in the bottom of the boat. Might take a little soap to get the seal back into the hose and tighten the clamps fully or maybe even replace them just to be safe, very cheap insurance.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-11-2013, 4:43 PM Reply   
Brandons correct. You have a dripless seal, like mine. You do not have an adjustable packing nut to worry about. Loosen the two hose clamps closest to the v drive (front of boat) and rotate your brass seal to wards the starboard side (driver side) of the boat so that your water supply hose is not kinked. As you do that you need to slide your brass shaft seal down towards the prop, seat it really good. It looks like you can move it about 1 1/2" or more. On the picture in the left, you can see the little notched cut out of the black hose, that is where you need to put the barb with the clear hose water supply on the seal at. This will allow the seal to seat fully and sit flush with the black hose.

Tighten all hose clamps really well (use a socket 5/16" i think?) Then go and check that all 8 engine mount bolts are tight (there are 4 engine mounts, 2 bolts each, they each have nuts that are hard to get to, but make sure everything is tight)

Good luck.
Old     (Gryphon)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-11-2013, 5:59 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, went back together exactly as you sated. Now to test it on Saturday. You saved me a trip into the dealer as I wouldn't have trusted myself had I come to that conclusion on my own.