Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (younguns44)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-15-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
what are the positives and negatives about having fins on your wakeboard?
Old     (TheSarge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-15-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Tracking and edging. Once you learn proper technique most people ride without the center fins. Most boards these days have molded in fins anyways so you are truly not really going finless. Once you have proper techinique you should basically be able to edge and ride a piece of plywood so to speak.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-15-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
If you can properly edge you don't need them at all...

they help for learning to edge, tracking on landings, and for getting on edge really quickly....

they hurt on rails and being able to sketch out landings (saving yourself sometimes) ---

I rarely rarely ride with them, only if it is really really rough and losing just the boards edge is easy
Old     (bradlayinlow)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-15-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
i think it is really personal preference. i dont ride with them either
Old     (rclester89)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-17-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
Anytime I teach somebody new to wakeboard, popular to contrary belief, I take all fins off, assuming board has molded fins. This ensures that proper edging is learned and the boarder is not relying on attempting to edge by turning their hips and using the fins excessively. My opinion: I don't ever use them. If its choppy enough to justify using them, I just don't ride.
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-17-2010, 11:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
If you can properly edge you don't need them at all...

they help for learning to edge, tracking on landings, and for getting on edge really quickly....

they hurt on rails and being able to sketch out landings (saving yourself sometimes) ---

I rarely rarely ride with them, only if it is really really rough and losing just the boards edge is easy
I think there is a place for very very small center fins.....but mfgs don't make them. I have been riding about 1.5 years...and never rode with fins. As my riding has progressed though..I find myself wanting small center fins.....

For the low line tension flat 'ollie edge' approach to the wake (for flat on axis spins)...you have the board flat to keep line tension down. With a center fin...the board will track better...and accelerate in a bit better, while keeping line tension low. The only other option is to make a bit more of a turn...then go flat. Lots of pros do this...but for lower level riders is it so hard to charge in...go flat...and still stand tall with that ollie pop....

For load and pop tricks where you start slow and easy...then build line tension to the base of the wake before you release.... fins don't matter at all....

The other area that I like small fins for is riding in the blind position. To get good at blind landings...I think you have to spend a lot of time riding blind, doing oliies to blind...oillies to cuffed, etc. For me...a very small fin is the difference between riding blind and having that anxious fearful feeling (backside edge catch!)...and being totally confident. With a small center fin...I can not only ride blind...but I can't carve back and forth. This is key to developing strength and the ability to adjust in this position. If you can not confidently ride blind....and adjust blind...how are you going to land that sweet tail grab to blind BS1 into the flats~

So how small is small...?. I tool my stock LF fins and absolutely hacked them...then re-foiled them on a belt sander...

Here is a pic....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wakeshots

Check out 2010_05_10 Brant W photo set.... _DSC7941

These are less than 4" long and only about 5/8" tall.... I really like them. Dont even notice them when I board slide...but I can totally feel them riding blind....

Last edited by kitewake; 05-17-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old     (younguns44)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-23-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
thanks for the advice