Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (ross009)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-24-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
just wondered if anyone knew if board shape namely rocker affected the height you ollie?
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-24-2009, 3:34 PM Reply   
If it does, I dont think it would be noticable...board size would have more to do with it. I can barely ollie on a 125 I have, but I can get 2-4 feet on a 139-141. Ive found its also harder to ollie with flex boards like the roam
Old     (hsryan33)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-24-2009, 3:39 PM Reply   
im sure that rocker does affect your ollie but not a whole lot. board size does matter though. its easier to ollie a narrower board or actually a board with less surface area. the lower you can sink a board into the water when loading up for your ollie, the higher you can spring back up out of the water.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-24-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
I'm not sure that is one-hundred percent true because my marius has a huge amount of surface area, but it still ollies pretty well
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-24-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
Ollies on my Marius are okay, my Ronix Arcade is way worse than the Marius. The Ronix Viva ollies really well.
Old     (hsryan33)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-24-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
jason thats just what i heard from a few people and my buddy who wakeskates. like a big wakeskate is harder to ollie than a smaller one i guess cuz you cant sink the big board down to pop up, im not sure. if i try to ride a big wakeboard(140 and up) i can usually barely ollie it compared to a 132-137. but instead of ollie height, its more important to have a board that pops off the wake good for you.
Old     (ross009)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-24-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
hmm interesting ive changed from a cwb pure to a lf ps3 which is narrower and shorter and i could ollie quite high on the pure so will have to see the difference this wkend hopefully
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-24-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
I've occasionally actually thrown down 2-3 foot ollies on both my Watson and my Covenant (different No Wake Buoys). You just have to be motivated to not hit whatever you're ollieing over.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-24-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
A narrower and/or shorter board may sink more, but it will experience less push from the water because there isnt as much surface area to push on. Seems like you win some, you loose some. I would agree that rocker should not matter for ollie height.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-24-2009, 10:21 PM Reply   
I think it has more to do with concaves than rocker. A board like the shane and murray with a deep concave between the fins will keep the water collected under the board and give you a more solid pump off the water, at least that's the theory behind it. That being said, the v-bottom witness has some pretty darn solid ollie pop
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2009, 6:36 AM Reply   
Luke pretty much hit the nail on the head. But with the witness the V-bottom feeds the water directly into two sizable molded fins trapping the water there, creating that solid spot to push off from.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-25-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
I think certain rockers DO ollie different. Or maybe just different boards. IMO smaller boards ollie better. Every once in a while Ill jump on a 132 I have as an extra board for the boat, and I can get a ton of pop on an ollie. Landing that narrow of a stance though is odd for me lol. Im 6 foot 220!

That being said... when you are facing a 4 foot no wake bouy or water way marker (yeah they are that big where I ride in a couple spots) you dont really have a choice but to make it, cus when they are that big they dont move. Therefore ya gotta get pumped up and I can do it all day long on my premier 141... my slingshot takes a lil more timing but can do it on that as well