Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (dirtyjerz)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-28-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
I have an 18ft bowrider I/O. What length of rope would be best for me? I currently have 80 foot I have been riding behind. Should I leave it at that length or should I take a couple feet out?

Thanks
Old     (qball)      Join Date: May 2007       08-29-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
we ride an 18ft I/O too and our rope is 75ft off the tower. that puts us right in the sweet spot of the wake. I would say being on the best part of the wake is more important that riding at any set length.
Old     (dirtyjerz)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-29-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
Yeah, Im new to wakeboarding. So what would be considered the best spot of the wake?
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-29-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
You want to find where the wake is nice and crisp, no white wash when driving straight. There are three factors that will adjust this:

Adding or removing weight from the boat.
Speed of boat.
Length of rope.

By adjusting these three things you can find the perfect spot to ride. There is also some personal preferences involved.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-29-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
Are you clearing the wake? If not, shorten the rope until you can clear the wake TS and HS. IF clearing the wake is not an issue, ride wherever you have a firm wake. It will be steepest right before it curls over.
Old     (dirtyjerz)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-29-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
Ok that makes sense. If you mean clearing W2W, then no Im not clearing the opposite wake. I usually land right next to the crest of the opposite wake.

(Message edited by dirtyjerz on August 29, 2007)
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-29-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
Yes - I mean w2w. Much better to land on the downside of the wake than short. As you get more experience with a progressive edge ridden all the way through the wake, you will jump further and will be able to ride longer lines. For persons working on going w2w, I usually start them out on a 60' line.