Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-20-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
Just wondering if anyone is into SUP (stand up paddleboarding). Thinking about getting my Dad one for his birthday, wondering if I should go 11 ft or 12 ft. Would be used by the family, weight range of 140-210lbs. Don't need anything fancy, and the water we would use it on is glass 90% of the time. Definitely getting a carbon paddle. Any tips/advice/places to get boards on the cheap? Would rather spend to get a good composite board though.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-20-2012, 8:59 AM Reply   
Support your local shop if you can. Where do you live?? If its a mix use, Id probably do the 11'. Just want to make you aware, you will probably end up buying one for yourself too. Its very addictting and a great workout!

Heres a photo of mine, I have a 12'6 displacement hull board though. I have alot of exp with sup and have a few friends who own shops.

Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-20-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
I am out in CT-no local shops around, besides a connelly dealer, I guess they are making SUP boards now too. I am sure that if I enjoy it I will end up getting my own board as well.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-20-2012, 9:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hco View Post
I am out in CT-no local shops around, besides a connelly dealer, I guess they are making SUP boards now too. I am sure that if I enjoy it I will end up getting my own board as well.
Whats your price range for a board? Not including price of paddle
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-20-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
Am willing to spend around a grand if its really worth it, but the cheaper the better.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-20-2012, 9:38 AM Reply   
Sup Atx.

I have two and they were shipped to me in Indiana without hassle. Call them up and they'll hook you up based on what your needs are. Great quality too!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-20-2012, 10:03 AM Reply   
If ur looking for just a basic board for recreational use, the ones above will fit into ur price range. I have had exp with supatx, theyre cost r lower because they mass produce, made in china and sold everywhere.

I knew after experiencing friends and sup is huge here right now and taken off within the last yr that I was going to get the itch to upgrade after a few months and would get involved with races and paddling 6-7 inlets etc.

DO not skimp on the paddle. But if ur using to board for multiple people might want to get an adjustable carbon paddle. Paddle is more important than the board.
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-20-2012, 1:52 PM Reply   
Hey Dan ! im pretty heavy into sup, im the owner of 2 SUP specific retail stores , paddleboard orlando and paddleboard new smyrna beach. For the size of the riders and intended use i would definitely go with a displacement board, like the one above, rather than a traditional planing style board. i would recommend a riveria (paddle surf) voyager at 12'6 . light, stable, super tough and very efficient for flatwater cruising. retail 1100.00 . for a traditional planing board i would recommend a BOGA el Ray or a YOLO costal cruiser both are 12'2. and around the same price. ..no offense, i wouldnt own a supatx board.

BOGA 10'6 mahina , over the falls at typhoon lagoon ;-)
Attached Images

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-20-2012, 1:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor_h View Post
Hey Dan ! im pretty heavy into sup, im the owner of 2 SUP specific retail stores , paddleboard orlando and paddleboard new smyrna beach. For the size of the riders and intended use i would definitely go with a displacement board, like the one above, rather than a traditional planing style board. i would recommend a riveria (paddle surf) voyager at 12'6 . light, stable, super tough and very efficient for flatwater cruising. retail 1100.00 . for a traditional planing board i would recommend a BOGA el Ray or a YOLO costal cruiser both are 12'2. and around the same price. ..no offense, i wouldnt own a supatx board.

BOGA 10'6 mahina , over the falls at typhoon lagoon ;-)
I may need to talk to you sometime soon. Ive heard of your company. Im over here in Tampa.