Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-08-2012, 10:54 AM Reply   
Well we might be looking at upgrading to a bigger better boat that can handle the chop and traffic of a big lake (Lake of the Ozarks). I want to boat to be a great boat that fits plenty of people and can wakesurf/board with ease. I mainly prefer wakesurfing but I am pretty much the only one who loves it.

I don't care company as long as its a reliable boat

Needs to be used and around 30-35k

HAS to be v drive and have perfect pass!!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-08-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
Sounds like you want something 23' or bigger. The problem is that with your budget you are going to be limited on good options that ride well in rough water and surf well. Boats like the 247, X45 and SAN230 are all a fair amount more expensive then that. There is one really good option I would look for and that is the Tige 24V. You should be able to find a 2003-2005 in that price range or close. It is a huge boat with a deep V. It will ride really well in rough water as well as surf exceptionally well.

More then you want to spend but not too much
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=28752

In your price range
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=28454

The Sanger V230 may be a decent option as well although kind of hard to find.
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30750

Although most boats these days seem to have PP I certainly wouldn't eliminate boats that don't. It is a fairly easy and cheap(1500) add on.

One thing I forgot if you dont' need a ton of room is the Centurion Avalanche. It is a 22' boat but isn't as roomy as some of the newer 22 or 23' boats. They probably only fit 6-8 comfortably although they have an amazing surf wake without a crazy amount of ballast and ride really well in rough water. Should be failry easy to find one for 30-40.

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30172

The last good option I think you might have is a Supra 24ssv/v although may be tough to find for that price. Not sure on it's surfability or rough water rid ebut it is a huge boat so should be ok.
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=31026

Last edited by polarbill; 02-08-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-08-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
I could careless if its 20' or 24'.... i just want it to fit at least 10 people (legally), vdrive, and be able to handle the nasty chop that can occur on Lake of the Ozarks... I currently have a 2001 Tige 20i and I couldn't take the boat on the main channel 2 years ago because I would take on water from all the chop. So when we went cruisin or eat somewhere we had to take my buddies cuddy which could only fit about 6 guys and that was pretty tight, but it handled the chop very well
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-08-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
An mid 2000's 23' or 24' Centurion..
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-08-2012, 12:04 PM Reply   
Look at some Tige' boats, and there is a tige' boat dealer in osage beach. Not sure if the mastercraft dealer is still there. Talked to him 2 years ago and things weren't going well for him. Maybe a malibu vride23, I know marine max in osage is a dealer.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-08-2012, 12:04 PM Reply   
I surf on a giant lake that can get 4-5 foot swells in minutes and I would say a Centurion Enzo, Typhoon, Avalanche, or a Tige 22v, 24v. You just want a nice deep v boat. Most newer boats would also be great, but your price range is lower. I'm sure there are more out there. Again just look for a tall boat with a pronounced V shape hull.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-08-2012, 12:05 PM Reply   
I know of a pretty sick 24v for sale. PM if you are interested.

Last edited by duffymahoney; 02-08-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-08-2012, 12:15 PM Reply   
Probably not in your price range but the Supreme 226 has the highest gunnels out of most boats.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-08-2012, 12:22 PM Reply   
I bought a 05 centurion enzo 23' and live on lake Erie. the lake can turn to 4 footers in no time. I am real happy with how it handles. my brother-in-laws moomba xlv slaps alot harder on much smaller chop. I picked up mine for your price range.
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-08-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
My buddy had a Tige 24v and it seemed to handle big chop really well. If you are willing to seat a couple of your peeps in the bow, then 10 people should be fine. Also, the hull on those seems to deaden the chop really well... doesnt transfer the vibration and sound to the cockpit too much.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-08-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
You should be able to get a 2008 Sanger V237 for under $40000 this time of the year. It would do exactly what you require very well. You might have to find it in the west but it's a Mercruiser driveline so it is easy to get service. Extremely solid, handles chop or swells easily, is big enough for lots of people, and has a wake as good as any for surf or boarding.
Good luck with your search. If you can test drive the boats first it makes a big difference. The brands all drive differently and you may find something that suits you better in one than another.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-08-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
Anyone have input on the Nautique 220? Ever since it came out, I always was led to believe from its freeboard and hull shape it was meant to handle rough water better than the other Air Nautiques in the lineup. Clearly it was never marketed that way, as it donned the "Super" title on its debut and the old gen SAN 210 was re-branded as the Air 210. I think the mixed message and the adoption of the 236 as the top line wake boat (the SAN 230) added to the 220's demise, well that and how sensitive it was to weight placement...
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-08-2012, 1:28 PM Reply   
Duffy;
You selling your beast ??
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-08-2012, 1:37 PM Reply   
Mid 2000's Centurion or Tige.

It doesn't have anything to do with the length or the freeboard size. It is about the hull shape and the build quality. A V-Ride 23 or Surpreme 226 wouldn't be what you're after for big water.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-08-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaks View Post
Duffy;
You selling your beast ??
Nope, someone I know is selling theirs. Only boat out that I like more then the Tige 24v is the Malibu 247 which I can't afford
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-08-2012, 2:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
Mid 2000's Centurion or Tige.

It doesn't have anything to do with the length or the freeboard size. It is about the hull shape and the build quality. A V-Ride 23 or Surpreme 226 wouldn't be what you're after for big water.
I probably agree with you on the ride 23 but why wouldnt' a V226? It is a very deep, has a very deep V and is a big heavy boat.

To the OP, there is almost no sub 22' boats that will fit 10 comfortably. The 21' MB's will but they are 40k plus although if you can stretch your budget to 40+ you can probably find a couple year old one. They have very deep V's so ride in rough water good, have a good surf and wakeboard wake. Their 21' boat has the room of most 22 or 23' boats.

The Mastercraft X15 is a pretty good sized 21.5' boat but not sure it is the best rough water boat and you wont find one for under 40k.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-08-2012, 2:29 PM Reply   
I think the 21' MB's probably have more room inside then the avalanche.

Here is an example of a tomcat 21' but is 10 grand more then you wan tto spend
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=29762

21 TWB again more then you want to spend

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/2829896725.html
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-09-2012, 6:08 AM Reply   
I have seen a couple MB B52s in my price range on onlyinboards.... how do they handle the chop?? I am leaning towards the Centurion Avy just because of its epic surf wave but I am still entertaining opinions till one really knocks my socks off
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-09-2012, 6:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
I have seen a couple MB B52s in my price range on onlyinboards.... how do they handle the chop?? I am leaning towards the Centurion Avy just because of its epic surf wave but I am still entertaining opinions till one really knocks my socks off
Go with the Avy or Enzo. You guys get big water out there - those boats are top notch for inboards in that regard. If you're doing 10 people - you want 23' or 24'.
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-09-2012, 7:04 AM Reply   
I've spent time in both the Enzo 23 & mb 23 in chop - they both handle rough water equally well. The ride of the supreme v226 is similar.

These boats handle chop far better than the Tige z2, malibu 23lsv or Malibu 247 in my experience, although the later feel more nimble on the water.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-09-2012, 7:14 AM Reply   
The Centurion Typhoon is just a bigger Avy correct? Is the surf and wakeboard wake equal to the avy (just taking more weight to get it nice)?
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-09-2012, 7:16 AM Reply   
We have a place at the 42MM lake of the ozarks and love our Tige 24ve. It's handles the big water just fine.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-09-2012, 7:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
The Centurion Typhoon is just a bigger Avy correct? Is the surf and wakeboard wake equal to the avy (just taking more weight to get it nice)?
The typhoon c4 is just that. A bigger avalanche. Great surf and wakeboard wakes.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-09-2012, 7:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Any B52's in the 30-35 range are going to be their older models which have pretty flat hulls I believe. Probably pretty crappy in rough water.
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       02-09-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
Bill makes a good point. My comments about the MB is in regards to the newer model with the deep-V hull

Also, the newer 21 MBs, both the Tomcat & B52, are quite spacious inside and have the feel of a boat 2-3' longer. OP may want to take a look at those models as well.
Old     (canadawake)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-09-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
Malibu 25 LSV?

This one seems a little high, but I have seen them down in the 30-40 range

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-Lsv-101552778
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2012, 9:04 AM Reply   
Another vote for Tige 22Ve or 24 Ve. I'd look for an '07 if you can(better cruise control than '06). My RZ2 handles rough water very well too but I don't think you will find one of those in your price range.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-09-2012, 9:38 AM Reply   
remember guys.... wanna keep it in the 30-35k range.... I just can't justify spending 40k on a boat...I am having a hard time convincing the wife to do 30k... let alone 40...

Last edited by petrey10; 02-09-2012 at 9:39 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-09-2012, 9:48 AM Reply   
My top choices in order based on room for people, surf wake and rough water ride. All should be able to be found for 30-35 although some easier then others.

1) Tige 24V
2) Tige 22V
3) Centurion Avalanche
4) Sanger V230
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-09-2012, 10:14 AM Reply   
thanks Brett.... I am making a list too...right now only other one I have is the Centurion Typhoon...

How old of a MB 21 Tomkat can I go and still get the great interior and deep V hull? what year?

I do like Supras but are the 22 and 24 vdrives a deep enough V?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-09-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
thanks Brett.... I am making a list too...right now only other one I have is the Centurion Typhoon...

How old of a MB 21 Tomkat can I go and still get the great interior and deep V hull? what year?

I do like Supras but are the 22 and 24 vdrives a deep enough V?
I would include the Typhoon right before the Avalanche just because of the larger interior space. They are just harder to find. I wouldnt' be surprised if Centurion sold 20 avalanches to every one typhoon.

The oldest you can go on the MB is 2008 and realistically you aren't going to find them for 35. I have seen a 21 TWB for around 40 but that is the cheapest.

Supra's ahve an interesting hull. THey are really deep v on the front half of the hull but almost completely flattens out towards the back. The transition is almost so abrupt it is like 2 different hulls. That being said I think every one has a trim tab on the back so when cruising through rough water you can lower the tab which lowers the bow. This will keep you from porpoising as well as keep the front/deep v portion of the hull slicing through the water. The 06(I think and older) 22SSV is not something I would consider. It is a pretty shallow boat. THe 07 to current 22SSV is bigger and deeper but not sure you will find one for <35k. I think the 24SSV or 24V goes back to 04 or 05 and I have seen some of those for ~35ish. Know that I think about it the best boat in the skiers choice(Supra/Moomba) line for what you are doing might be the Moomba XLV. It has a very similar hull to the other supra's, is really deep, has lots of room and should be easily found for 25k-35k. Not sure how it surfs though. It also lacks the bling and really nice components.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-09-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
Here are some I would look at that I don't think are too far away and/or are great deals

good deal
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=31417

Good deal, far away
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=31843

Good deal, better tower then most, great looking, far away
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30530

Great deal, newer 22ve, far away
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=29804

Good deal, probably far away
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=31624

OK deal, maybe a little closer
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30164

Great deal, 24', far away
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=29515

good deal, 24', far away
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=28454

REally good price, avy, not sure how far away?
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=29385

Good deal, avy, maybe not too far away?
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=29507

OK deal kind of
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=31856

Good deal, far away

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30750
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-09-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
difference in the typhoon and typhoon c4?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-09-2012, 1:52 PM Reply   
The older typhoon had a different hull. Pre 07 or 06 I think. I am not too familiar on it's surf capabilities although most if not all older ones had the walk through on the starboard side which means you lose a fair amount of seating and can't surf the starboard side as easy because if is hard to get a bunch of weight in. The C4 in centurion generally means full wrap around seating but it might also have to do with a series of hull. If it is a C4 whether an Elite V C4, Avalanche C4 or Typhoon C4 would all be basically identical other the the size of the boat but the hulls are all basically the same or at least the same design.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-10-2012, 7:34 AM Reply   
what about any Nautique's... like a 2003ish 210... hows it handle the chop and hows the freeboard?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-10-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
what about any Nautique's... like a 2003ish 210... hows it handle the chop and hows the freeboard?
Advantages:
Quality
Huge wakeboard wake(very vert)
doesn't take a lot of weight to make a big wake
fuel efficient

Disadvantages
small(10 would be really uncomfortable)
not known as a surf boat at all
fairly flat bottom=bad rough water ride

What you are talking about using the boat for and for how many people you want on it I wouldn't even remotely consider one.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-10-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
ok good thanks...

lets say I wanted to downsize the boat to seating 8 grown adults pretty comfortably...not all stretched out but comfortable... would the 22v be my best bet for a good amount of freeboard and good rough water ride?

I am getting turned off on the Avy because of the low freeboard... to me the lower the free board the easier it is going to be for my wife to drive like an idiot and swamp the boat
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-10-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
ok good thanks...

lets say I wanted to downsize the boat to seating 8 grown adults pretty comfortably...not all stretched out but comfortable... would the 22v be my best bet for a good amount of freeboard and good rough water ride?

I am getting turned off on the Avy because of the low freeboard... to me the lower the free board the easier it is going to be for my wife to drive like an idiot and swamp the boat
Are you talking about the tige 22V? I would guess the Tige 22V and the Avalanche would have pretty similar freeboards? The Avy doesn't sit low in the water by the way.

Avy

22V

Either of these boats should be fairly comfortable with 8 and doable with 10.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-10-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
Yes I am talking about the tige 22v... I really like the lines of the Avy but I want to make sure its the boat I want. If I am going to go for the best deal I may have to have the boat shipped to me which would pretty much reduce the chance of me test driving it....

ok so what are people talking about being careful taking on water while surfing? If I am bashing the boat for the wrong reason tell me.... but you gotta realize I am not going to be the only one driving the boat because I wanna ride too! hahaha.... my wife is a good driver but she doesn't quite get the concept of stopping, letting the wave pass, and then turn to get the fallen rider.... she likes to try and drown the down rider or swamp the boat!
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-10-2012, 11:24 AM Reply   
I dont know who you have been talking with, but the Avy has good freeboard and you wont take on water. I surfed mine for 3 years and never had a problem. You can get a great safe wave with a 1,500lbs custom sac plus 500lbs of people (or sac) on the surf side seat. With this set up, the water wont even be to the rub rail. The Avy is a Top 5 surf boat. It has pulled the World 4 or 5 times.

FYI: the only time I had to tape up my vent on the surf side is when I ran over 3,000lbs, which gave me a HUGE wave.
Attached Images

Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-13-2012, 6:36 AM Reply   
haha wow that thing is sick..... Is the avy the same hull from early 2000's to present?

I don't ride goofy and nobody in my crew does either...
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-13-2012, 6:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
haha wow that thing is sick..... Is the avy the same hull from early 2000's to present?

Petrey: I believe the hull is the same starting 2004/2005. Also, this boat will have the same wave on both sides and is very easy to set up.

With that said, you should look at as many of the boats mentioned in this thread as you can. I am not saying the Avy is for you. I am just saying that it is a very good boat with a great surf wave.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-13-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
I love the avalanche wave, but the freeboard is too low for my lake and running lots of weight. The Tige 22v and 24v have much higher freeboard. With 1800 pound custom sacs my rubrail on my Tige 24v is barely touching water, which gives me piece of mind (I have another 8"-10" from the rub rail to the top of the boat). My avalanche with 1500 pounds and a few dudes would have water going over the rear sun pad. I think if the avalanche had a taller top cap it would be one of the safest and best surf boats out. Cuts through chop amazing, surfs amazing. I have owned both, but this is still my opinion.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-13-2012, 10:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
My avalanche with 1500 pounds and a few dudes would have water going over the rear sun pad.
Duffy: Your Avy must have been much different than mine because I never even came close to having this issue. I could run 1,500lbs custom sac, 250lbs center tank and 750lbs on the seats and that would still be just under/right at my rub rail. Heck, I ran 1,500 custom sac, 400lbs on back seat, 750lbs on side seat, 250lbs center tank and 155lbs on swim deck. With all of this, it ran just below my vent. BTW, I taped my vent up as a precaution, but my vent was not under water. Here are 2 pics with my boat set up with this:
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-13-2012, 10:25 AM Reply   
I would get water over the top of the back corner and over the swim pad (looking for pictures). My customs were bigger then yours, maybe that is the difference? Maybe the top cap on yours is a few inches higher? The height of the 24v and the avalanche are very different, you would need to be in a 22v or 24v to really understand it. But the boat feels safer. We get such big waves on my lake it just scary to be so close to the water. Avalanches rock, prob the best or tied with the best for an older surf boat for the money. The two others budget surf boats are older sanger v215, v230 and the Tige 22v in my mind. Not knocking the avalanche at all. When centurion makes taller boats I will come back to them
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-13-2012, 10:32 AM Reply   
This is with no sacs on the seats. I quickly dug up and this is the only picture i found so far.
Attached Images

Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-13-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
yeah that would prolly scare even myself there duffy....

ok so let me make my list with years and fill it in from there...

1) 24v & 22v --- 2004 and later
2) 23v --- 1999 to 2003
3) Avy --- 2004 and later
4) Typhoon 2006 and later
5) Sanger v230 ??

The Moomba XLV was mentioned but if its too much like the Supra then it won't handle the chop correct?
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-13-2012, 11:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
This is with no sacs on the seats. I quickly dug up and this is the only picture i found so far.
Duffy: that is crazy. I would not ever run a boat like that either. It would be interesting to figure out why the difference.

Last edited by lakesurfer; 02-13-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-13-2012, 11:10 AM Reply   
That picture isn't the scary ones Add the MB boats also. They are tall and deep. They produce nice waves as well. They didn't have quick fill ballast till later though.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-13-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
@Lake, I measured a newer avalanche at a boat show in like 2008 or 09 and you couldn't get as big of sacs in it. The first avalanches had huge lockers. My 1500-1600, pound sac probably was more like 1700. It even opened the door a little when full. Gosh the wave was amazing when it was that full though!
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-13-2012, 11:19 AM Reply   
@Duffy: even if the sac was a little bigger at 1,700lbs, that pic I posted was running nearly 3,000lbs. But I would hardly ever run that set up and it would only be on a day that when other boats were not out.

Either way, I definitely understand your concern based on your pic. I would not run a boat like that under any condition.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-13-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:

No goofy riders then search for an Enzo SV230. No sacs required on the seats or platform. Seal up the vent holes on the rear port side and run your blower on the starboard side.

There are a few nice one out there for around $40K but I assume the price is negotiable.

My SV230 with a 160# driver and a 130# passenger in the boat, no sacs on the seats or swim grid.
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-13-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Or if only goofy riders, just swap the v-drive for a reverse rotation and you would have an amazing goofy wave.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-13-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
The XLV is a good boat for bigger water.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-13-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
Hey Duffy you mind posting the model and years of the MBs to look at? Thanks a bunch man....
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-13-2012, 11:48 AM Reply   
40k is too much... really would like to stay around 30k but I am somewhat flexible to 35k...for the right deal
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-13-2012, 11:48 AM Reply   
also I don't have the years for the moomba xlv.... I hope this threads helps someone else as much as it is myself
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-13-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
I actually don't know the models, I think B52?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-13-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=31107

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=29669

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30106
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-13-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
that vx-2 is sweet.... anybody know of any problems with the 2 speed trannies?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-13-2012, 1:11 PM Reply   
They are sweet for surfing. 2 speed is a plus. I also thought the vx2 is sweet, you will still need to add sacs for a good wave.

Same boat with sacs added.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzdwZ6-8ExY
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-13-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
Those older MB B52s are a different hull from the current gen, which began in 2009 (if memory serves). Pretty sure the F21 (picklefork 21') and TWB 23' (traditional bow 23') were introduced in late 2010 as 2011 models.

Some of the older hulls do have gravity fed ballast (I think), but not all. Some are pumps and tanks. I don't know when the breakpoint on that is.