Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-25-2006, 9:17 PM Reply   
Anyone heard of it? It is 3 hours north east of Edmonton in Alberta I think. I am wondering about the water temperatures. Someone told me I needed to take my drysuit?????

Any details about this place is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-25-2006, 9:35 PM Reply   
What do you want to know? I know people that ride up there, and will be part of the organizers running the Alberta Tour stop there around July 21st.

Drysuit? Not likely, but being accustomed to warmer temps you might want a wet suit. Lake temp should be in the high 60's low 70's or getting pretty damn close. Especially with the weather we're getting this weekend/week.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-25-2006, 9:44 PM Reply   
That helps right there. So I can leave the drysuit at home. We are camping, so there is alot of pack and only 50lbs per bag on the airplane are allowed.....save lbs where I can.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-26-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
Let me know when you're in the region, my cabin is 45 min away, I don't have a killer boat but if I'm around I'll be more than happy to pick you up for a pull on my lake.

I know what the camping thing is like, coming down to Spring Ride 2 years in a row, I get some pretty interesting looks going through security.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-26-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
We are suppose to have 3 boats, so I should get enough riding in. Thank you for the offer though.

I am sure to get the full belongings search from the airport this time....wakeboard bag stuffed full, HUGE suitcase stuffed full, sleeping bag, pillow and backpack. Should be fun times at the airport.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-03-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
what a hidden treasure Alberta is.....

Just got back and can't wait till I go next year. I will post pics and details later tonight.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-03-2006, 5:09 PM Reply   
Okay, so I was too excited to unpack, I had to take a look at the pictures.

http://www.mlgc.ca/index.asp?MenuID=44
This is why I was there. It was the first annual and there was 30+ kids there. I saw a guy pull his first invert. And the little girl I am riding doubles with in the picture below stuck her first one wake air and rode out towards me with the biggest smile on her face. Truly amazing weekend.

I don't have any of me on my camera, but here are a few pics of other people.

First a few scenic pics.
Upload
Upload

Texas Dave (the nickname we gave him)
Upload
Upload

James Balzer (Pro Wakeskater/Wakeboarder/Coach at Summer Session Wakeboard School in BC)
Upload

Dan (James Apprentice, expecting to go Pro next year at the age of 16)
Upload

11 year old
Upload
Upload
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-03-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
The pictures I could show you, there's so much to see. It's a huge province and I've spent much time around all of the north and central areas.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-03-2006, 9:34 PM Reply   
What a wonderful place in the summer, ay? Not sure about the winters up there though, ay?

(sorry....I had fun trying to learn O Canada on Saturday while the fireworks were going off....I love Canada, I really do. BC is great and now I learned that Alberta is very scenic with great empty lakes)

Jeffrey - you are very lucky.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-03-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
My lake was busy this weekend, it had 5 boats on half of it at the same time.

I wish I wasn't having so many mechanical problems. We had planned on riding till 11 Saterday and waking up at 4 to get back on, somehow had water in the cylanders, doesn't seem to be an ongoing issue, we fought with it for way to many hours.

Did you get a chance to see the national parks? Or any other regions while here?
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-03-2006, 9:47 PM Reply   
No we stayed close to the camp. The camp session ended yesterday afternoon, so after a nap we ran into Bonneyville, then got back to camp to ride some more since James was still around to give some tips and I had promised the 11 year old we would ride doubles that night.

Next year I think we will drive ourselves up to Moose Lake and maybe go a day early or later so we can meet some locals and ride.

By the way, thank you for the tip on the temperature of the water made packing alot easier.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-03-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
Did you even need the rubber? The water was beautiful this weekend, it was calm and warm all weekend. It was hard to sit around with a busted up boat for hours on end.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-04-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
Didn't take the drysuit and I didn't even wear the wetsuit, just the gooru top (which I wear all summer no matter the air/water temp) got worn.

I was a little disappointed with the morning water, it was ride-able, but not glass unfortunately. The best water was evenings.