Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-02-2004, 8:56 PM Reply   
Canyon Lake will be rolling out the 2nd in the series contests this Saturday at the backwater. Alot going on this weekend, who is coming out??
Old    blindsiderider            05-02-2004, 9:47 PM Reply   
I want to come to the contest. We will be driving Friday from Fresno and we need some help on a hotel/motel that is close to where we need to be.
Old    blindsiderider            05-03-2004, 7:27 AM Reply   
Can anyone give us some suggestions as to where to stay. hopefully not to far away from the contest.

(Message edited by blindsiderider on May 03, 2004)
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-03-2004, 7:45 AM Reply   
Hi Tony!! Canyon Lake Resort Inn, 31820 Railroad Canyon Rd Canyon Lake (909)244-1164
I contacted Nick Patel and he has offered a 10% discount to people coming in for the tournament. I have seen the rooms since the remodel (ask Tom and Derek Conway) and they are fine. Normal price for a king room is $59.00 so take your !0% off of that. It is right next to a resturaunt and Canyon Lake Market, so you are in walking distance of food and drink. HTH!! robyn
Old    blindsiderider            05-03-2004, 8:09 AM Reply   
Perfect. Thanks so much. There will be 4 or 5 of us that are going to ride. We figured we would take the chance to see what the famous Canyon Lake is all about. Shoud be fun.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
i'll be there.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-03-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
I'll be there of course. But I'm still not sure if I can ride. If I do ride not sure I'll do any good since its been about 6 or 7 weeks.
Old    cws_kahuna            05-03-2004, 9:41 AM Reply   
Wow Tony that's a long trip. Hopefully we can show you a good time.

Robyn, I will be there in the morning, probably have to leave by noon.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
I'll be in the hizzle fo shizzle nizzle.
Old    blindsiderider            05-03-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
I am sure we will have a great time. How do the divisions work? We are 1-14 2-15 and 1-16 3 of us are just doing grabs and working on our first invert and then 1 of us can doabout 6 different inverts. So what class does that put us in?
Old    cws_kahuna            05-03-2004, 10:07 AM Reply   
Tony this is from our club site:

Canyon Lake Wakeboard Club Tournament Format

2004 will include 3 divisions for those just beginning, those riding to gain skills and confidence, and those who just want to have fun. The Jr Novice and Novice divisions will be awarded prizes for 1st thru 3rd place and 1st place trophies will be awarded to the winners. They will not compete in a series.

The series divisions will include the Boys/Girls division (age 13 & under), Jr Men's (14-19), Men's (20-29), Masters (30-39), Women's (all ages), Veterans (40 & over), and Open (all ages). Prizes will be awarded, along with trophies to all 1st place winners. Points will be awarded in all of these divisions for the overall series championship.

Fees will be $20 for Club members, $30 for non members. You must be a member of WWA, or you can purchase daily membership for $15, or yearly for $30 or $45 ($45 membership includes WWA t-shirt, etc).

I think the 3 of you will be in Jr. Novice and the 1 doing the 6 inverts will be in Jr. Men.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-03-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
Richard, what's the Masters' division look like? Is it stacked? How many inverts and/or 3s are people doing in the division? And most importantly, in the Masters' division, are there any sandbaggers?
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-03-2004, 11:48 AM Reply   
What are you scared of Joe? Just get out there and ride. I've seen your videos, you'll probably be in the top three. So what do you have to lose?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2004, 11:59 AM Reply   
ditto.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-03-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
Shawn, well, it depends on 1 thing. Will they give me a 10 minute warm up run right before my tourney passes?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but most of the guys in my vids aren't even me!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2004, 1:56 PM Reply   
Just pretend your comp run is your tournament run. That's what I did last time.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-03-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
Are you gonna be there, Thane?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
joe - you not speak jive? :-)

quote:

By Thane Dogg (thane_dogg) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 9:44 am:

I'll be in the hizzle fo shizzle nizzle.

if you get there early in the morning (at the 7:30a start time), that's when you'll get a practice run. practice usually goes until about 9:30a, then the comp runs start.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-03-2004, 2:04 PM Reply   
Sorry Christopher...I was too lazy to read above.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-03-2004, 2:06 PM Reply   
Joe,

Now that Fred Escalera is in Vets, Masters is kinda wide open (no offense to any of the masters). The deal is that the biggest competition in Masters is Aaron Davis and maybe Christopher Stack. Aaron has multiple inverts. The rest of the class is somewhere between 1 and 2 inverts (more towards the 1 than the 2). From what I can remember I believe you have at least two inverts (tantrum and a back roll)? I say show up, step up, and have some fun.

BTW: Myself and a few others probably would like to put a face to your name. I should be easy to find, just look for the guy Jeff is working the hardest.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-03-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
Stack would kill me! Oh well...tourneys are always fun!

Hey, here's a thought. I judged INT tourneys in Central Cal for 2 years. If you guys need help judging Intermediate on up to Outlaw, let me know.

Or...

I can film some of the riders and make a vid for Canyon Lake Wakeboard Club? (no charge, of course...'cept a free sticker here and there)
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-03-2004, 2:16 PM Reply   
What part of Central Cal, Joe? My family lives on Nacimeinto and the rest are in Paso Robles.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-03-2004, 2:19 PM Reply   
Sac & Fresno. To INT, Central Cali = Sac, SF, Stockton, Fresno, etc. Northern Cali = Redding, Shasta, Yreka, etc. Technically, they're right.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
its my understanding they're always looking for help with the judging. im sure they'd welcome the help.

but you should definitely come down joe. don't worry - i ride like crap in the comps for some reason. :-)
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-03-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
Hey Joe, that would be AWESOME! I too can't wait to put a face to the name. I am sure that Jeff will love to hear that we have another judge in the family!! And the movie sounds awesome! It's gonna be a great weekend! And we typically do a Pepes dinner afterward so if anybody is interested in going, just let me know!! hugs, robyn
Old    wake_mom            05-03-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
Shawn, you need to get going and ride. You don't have to ride like a pro, just get a good warm-up and start moving thoughs muscles again.

Love, Mom
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-03-2004, 9:46 PM Reply   
Are the practice runs free? I hate to sound cheap, but the tourney sounds expensive already. Maybe I need to line up some sponsors.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-03-2004, 10:28 PM Reply   
Too bad that I won't be making it out, jacked up my knee real good this time. Probably a good thing though, at least for everyone else, cause I'd walk away with 1st. Kidding, good luck to everyone, with any luck I'll be seeing you toward the end of the season.

Brandon
www.westsidewakeboard.com
Westside Wakeboard School
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2004, 11:17 PM Reply   
joe - yep. practice runs are built-in.

brandon - damn man, sorry to hear that. hope that doesn't affect your school. what'd ya do to it? is this a surgery out-for-half-a-year thang?
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-03-2004, 11:32 PM Reply   
What's up my brothas?

I'm gonna roll down to the CLC on saturday to check out the comp. I look forward to meeting folks I have only spoken with in the past.

I'll be the big bald ugly dude (some might say I look like Steven Segal ) with the brace on his right leg.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-04-2004, 12:22 AM Reply   
sweet! it'll be good to cya!
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-04-2004, 5:24 AM Reply   
Sean, it will be good to finally meet you and thank you in person.

Brandon, why don't you just come down and hang out out with us, have some fun, Henry can always use some help on the mic!! (not saying he doesn't do a GREAT job!!) LOL!

Joe, it just gets pricey the first contest you ride in, if you arn't already in WWA and the club, but think of it this way, creative tax write off! After that it's only 20.00 to ride, cheap for a great day of fun in the sun!
Christopher, as always it will be nice to have you!
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       05-04-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
I won't be able to make this one, cuz I'll be drunk and down a bunch of money in Vegas. However, I'll try to make it to the next one.
Old    blindsiderider            05-04-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
WE got a room and we are are going to be there. I think it will be great to see the faces of all the names we see on here.
Old    cws_kahuna            05-04-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
Joe,

To answer your question way above. I do not think the masters is full of sandbaggers. There are some great riders though, I think you would fit right in.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2004, 5:54 PM Reply   
Chris--just got back from the ortho, turns out I tore my MCL and part of me ACL, so a scope is in the works. With any luck they can fix it all then and not have to slice me open. Should be a speedy rehab from the scope as well. As far as the school goes, had lessons this morning and went it great, I just can't actually get on the board.

TeamValdez-- I would love to make it down but that would be a looooong drive just to hang out. With any luck I'll be tearing it up at the Sept.
tourney.

www.westsidewakeboard.com
Westside Wakeboard School

(Message edited by BBR on May 04, 2004)
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-04-2004, 10:58 PM Reply   
Hey Robin, can I send a sandbagger out for this??????????
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-05-2004, 7:37 AM Reply   
Hey doug, what would be do put Ryan in the novice division? He would do just fine!! LOL!! NAH, that boy would be in open fo shizzle! (don't forget the CASH prizes!!) Put that boy on a plane today!!
(For those who don't know Ryan Anderson, he is a major Oklahoma ripper who took 3rd in the boys division behind Tadpole (oh, alright Robert) and the awesome Reed Hanson. Watch for Ryan on the podium this year at all the VTC's. Oh yea, and the July Wakesports contest... YAY!!!

Brandon, we will see you in Sept hurry and get better!

(Message edited by teamvaldez on May 05, 2004)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-05-2004, 6:32 PM Reply   
Hell, I guess I'll be there too!

Sorry to hear about the knee injury, Brandon. Anyone check the Chinese calendar? Might be the year of the Orthopedic Surgeon.

Joe, you might want to bring your camcorder, some funny shizzle always happening

Sean J! Glad to hear you're gonna make an appearance! Hope the recovery is going well.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on May 05, 2004)