Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-25-2011, 9:47 AM Reply   
does anybody have any advice for selling a car on Ebay?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-25-2011, 10:06 AM Reply   
I sold an m3 on ebay once; it was pretty painless. Only problem was it sold within 2 hours and the guy flew down from Seattle the next day to drive it home. My mini cooper got delayed a few months so i was carless for a while lol.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-25-2011, 10:11 AM Reply   
thanks Wes.
how did you list it? reserve? but it now?....

did you design your own listing or have ebay help?
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       03-25-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
Very easy to do, but the only advice would be to make sure you want to sell it at a competitive price as everyone is looking for the GREAT DEAL on ebay. Also depends on what kind of car. I would go with the 10 day listing.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-25-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
A bit hard to remember - it was 7 years ago or so. I didn't do anything too fancy - the car was in great shape, high demand, and was a pretty good deal as I had gotten a good deal on it myself - I believe I did Buy it Now.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-25-2011, 12:10 PM Reply   
I'd recommend Craigslist before eBay. eBay has raised listing fees and such a lot in the past couple years and in general made it more expensive and more hassle to use them. But that being said, make a complete and detailed description. Disclose any problems. The more pictures the better, and make sure the quality is good enough that someone can either see any flaws or see that none are present. People are more inclined to bid on no reserve auctions since they know they're not wasting their time. Make sure pictures are of different areas and angles. If the vehicle is more than a few years old be sure to include pictures underneath of the frame and floor pans, or any areas than are prone to rust (pickup bedsides/wheel wells, car frame rails, etc.).

Make sure you list it so it will end at a time when most people will be home or otherwise available. If it ends during work hours they may get ties up with work and not have time to bid at the end, or during morning or evening commute would exclude people. When I used to sell things on eBay I'd end them after dinner on weeknights or or weekends. Most people try to "snipe" items at the end of the auction. I don't get it. I'm exactly the opposite, I put my max bid when I see it and forget about it until the auction is over.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-25-2011, 1:08 PM Reply   
Fleabay has changed a LOT in the last 5 years. I used to buy and sell on it all the time, but now I use it only as a last resort. Cory has good advice otherwise, especially RE planning when the auction will close.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-25-2011, 1:20 PM Reply   
I'm not sure if you can do this, but see if there is a setting for no sniping or no bidding without any history (sniping is cool with me if they are frequent ebayers ). Also - make sure you get an adequate down payment (non-refundable unless both parties agree type thing) as soon as the auction closes. Give them maybe 3 hours to make payment then it goes to the 2nd place bid.

I had 4 guys bidding on a porsche I was selling, and the auction was WAY over the reserve, so I was stoked...then the last second some flipping a-hole sniped the auction (he hadn't been bidding at all) and didn't have any history.

Well, I had in the auction to submit a 500 dollar down payment when auction was closed, and ended up never getting it, (my fault) and by the time I went to see if any of the other buyers were interested they had all moved on...

I have no idea why he bid when he was clearly unable to purchase his own underwear.

I ended up selling it on craigslist for more than it ended up on ebay for anyway, so you may want to try that - it's free!