Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    saintjoe            04-25-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
alright so I'm brand new to wakeboarding, I'm just kinda checking it out, to see if its something I might be interested in doing... the main question that I have is the boats... I don't have a wake boat, but I do have access to a fishing boat with a decent size kick, would this work? or are there certain reasons there are wakeboats...
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-25-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
That will work, get out there an ride behind it. If you like it behind that boat you'll love it behind wake specific boats
Old    saintjoe            04-25-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
cool... any tips on how to set it up? there are two tie offs on both sides of the back and when we tube we usually hook a rope to both of those and then the tow rope off of that to keep it off of the motor... would that work for boardin? or should I set it up different?

(Message edited by saintjoe on April 25, 2006)
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-25-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
if you can mount some sort of short pylon, it would be really beneficial to have a stationary tow point. i started riding behind a bass boat too, but it was impossible to get any air with the rope sliding from on side of the rear to the other
Old    saintjoe            04-25-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
Could I make one? or would I have to buy it? if I have to buy it where can I find one, and if I can make one, does anyone have any ways of doing that, that work well!?!? Thanks guys... you've been great help!
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-25-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
on ours we had someone modify a metal bar to screw into the rear fishing seat platform. it had an eye at the end for the rope and two support bars with rubber stoppers pressed against the back corners. you could do it by hand, but it would be a chore. i think we bought ours as a traditional ski pylon and then just threaded the bottom
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-25-2006, 9:05 PM Reply   
http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=outboard+ski+pylon&pid=247167341 4677015777&oid=12364274053344967184&btnG=Search+Fr oogle&scoring=mrd&hl=en
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-25-2006, 9:13 PM Reply   
If you're just starting, attach the rope to the transom. You won't be jumping for a little while. Even when you do start experimenting with jumping, the transom will be fine for what you're doing.

Figure out which foot you want to be forward. If you've snowboarded or skate boarded and you have a foot preference go with that. Otherwise do what feels comfortable.

For just starting out, if you're left foot forward, then attach the rope to the left side of the transom (port side). swap sides for right foot forward. Run the rope to about 60 feet from the transom.

Once you get comfortable and are riding for more than 20-30 seconds at a time, try switching the rope to the other side.

My logic for the rope placement is this; using left foot forward for example, when you're attached to the left side of transom, you're out to the port side of the boat facing the boat. Once you get comfortable and want to start playing around in the wake, move the rope to the other side. It'll be easier to get into the wake.

Good luck. Oh, and this is a one-way street.. very very addictive sport.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-25-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
sorry, i skipped over the part about you just beginning. craig is right; save your money for now. i started with the roap attached to the transom, and it was more than enough for a full season or two. craig, the transom cords make a "V" behind the engine, so the rope is in the middle, but the thing in the center (i forget what it's called) rolls from side to side

(Message edited by JcV on April 25, 2006)
Old    saintjoe            04-25-2006, 9:23 PM Reply   
alright cool thanks guys!! I'm picking up a board this weekend end and will hopefully be out playing in a week or so... I picked this up cuase my buddy says its a good "cross season" sport for snowboarders... so I thought I'd give it a go... I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-25-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
Heh... Yeah it's a good cross season sport... But I think you'll find that snowboarding will become a cross season sport for wakeboarding.

Jeff -- Yeah, I know what you're talking about and I can't think of the name of them either. I never had one..so I always just hooked straight to the transom.

A quick Google search: Here's a link to what Jeff is talking about: http://www.amback.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=58109
Upload
It attaches to both transom hooks and the pully attaches to your ski rope.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-25-2006, 11:08 PM Reply   
Craig,

Find some wakeboarders in your area, pay for a bit of gas/beer, and let them show you what it is about. Check out the "find a third" section here, and see how it goes. Always better to hook up with regulars and get some first-hand info/coaching, etc. Wakeboarders are a great bunch, and are usually willing to help introduce you to the sport.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2006, 11:12 PM Reply   
welcome to the best sport on earth.
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-26-2006, 4:04 AM Reply   
DON'T DO IT MAN!!!!
IT S LIKE A DRUG!!!!

It all starts with wanting a good board....
Then Bindings.............
Next A Tower..............
Then Weight for the boat, You will need more wake.
Then you will need a new boat, for a perfect wake.
Then you will need Ropes, racks, speakers....

Soon you will be calling in sick, so you can go boarding.....

IT IS A BAD HABIT!!!!
STAY AWAY FROM WAKEBOARDING!!!!!!!

Try Crack it is alot less addictive, and a lot less expensive.
Old    saintjoe            04-26-2006, 5:37 AM Reply   
I've already started doing all that with my snowboarding.... I figure I can hold two addictions, gotta have something to do in the summer and winter right?!?
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-26-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
hahahahahaha
danny said it perfectly
i bought a decent board and we got a boat. then i got a better board, a nice rope, handle, then a tower and racks. next it will be tower speakers, fat sacs and more
the last line got me on the floor!
but somehow, its true
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-26-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
Agreed it's definately and addiction. I'm workin on getting my 4th boat in 6 years. Each boat is a little bigger with a little more horsepower and for alot more $$$$
Old     (dum101)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-26-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
3rd boat in 3 years here and they just keep gettin more expensive. I got my first inboard this year, a 92 sunsetter ( http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/dum101/malibu%20boat/?action=view&current=DSC00384.jpg <---thats my new girl). I used the transom thingy for the first 2 years and had a great time learning to ride. It will work just fine for you for quite a while.
k im out
peace
dum
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-27-2006, 12:23 AM Reply   
Right on, Danny! Couldn't have said it better.... Joe, when I go to visit my brother in law, he has a fishing boat and we set up with the harness like you're saying. Doesn't matter how you set up though. Once you get up and ride, then carve, then jump, it's too late you've already been hooked.

GET THAT WAKE MONKEY OFF MY BACK!!!
Old     (millah)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-28-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
Joe where are you located? Maybe a wakeboarder in your area will hook you up.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-28-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
Buzz, You got confused.. I'm not trying to learn how to wakeboard here. Joe is.

I've already got a boat, Three in fact. Another example of how addictive this sport is. I had two (very decent) I/Os. It was a fault tolerance thing -- if one broke we were still good to go. Had the steering cable break in one, so we took the boat home and rigged up the second boat to finish the season out. Late last year I bought a wakesetter and love it. Hence 2 boats in the back yard, and one in the garage.

Need to sell some boats, but I've got better things to do...Like wakeboard..

"For sale, IO $3500 or trade for GAS!"
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-28-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
build one

Upload
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-28-2006, 5:29 PM Reply   
bad bob do you have some more detailed photos that is great
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-28-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
OMFG!!! That is awesome.

Talk about white trash!!!

That needs to go up on killsometime.com like this guy.Upload

(Message edited by boarder_x on April 28, 2006)

(Message edited by boarder_x on April 28, 2006)
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-29-2006, 5:45 AM Reply   
sweet ride
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-29-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
That's about as effective as the ones you see on the rice burners.
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-30-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
nope .... found that on a site awhile back... thought it was sweeeeet