Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-27-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
Well after losing 2 anchors(Danforths) and blowing all over the lake, I finally got a great deal on a gently used small box anchor. I just have a few questions for people who have them. I know the website says you can tie your rope directly to the anchor. My question is, what size rope do you use and what knot do you tie off with? I deffinately don't want to lose this one!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-27-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
I just use the anchor buddy line with its existing clips. I've only had one occasion where it couldn't hold very well but it was very very windy.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-27-2010, 3:28 PM Reply   
I use 150' of 1/2" rope with a 4' section of coated chain on my box anchor. I think it's a lot easier to set with the chain, and I have never had it come loose, and it's been through quite a few Lake Powell storms.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-27-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
I use a 3/8' rope with the eyelet in the end and hook it directly to the box. I have never had to use a chain with it.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-27-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
i just use regular 1/2 rope with several knots. I don't use chain. Sets right away everytime.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-27-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
You don't need the chain, but I believe that it does kind of act like a shock absorber in rough water. It's personal preference. Either way, you have a good anchor.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-27-2010, 7:11 PM Reply   
If you need a chain with a box anchor, you are not paying out enough rope.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-27-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
It shouldn't need a chain to help set it. I use my anchor buddy with a buoy on the water surface so I can leave it in place while out for the day, We camp in slow water so I don't worry about someone catching the anchor buddy on their prop.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-27-2010, 7:56 PM Reply   
I forgot- I use a D-ring on the box anchor to anchor buddy and a carabiner(and a knot in the anchor buddy depending on the water depth) on the boat bow eye. Easy on and off.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-27-2010, 8:48 PM Reply   
I use a 3/8" nylon line. Use a double bowline knot to tie the rope directly to the rod of the box anchor. You'll want a minimum of 100' of line. You can use the three strand style of nylon line.
The double bowline puts two loops around the metal to give more abrasion resistance. It's a regular bowline knot with the rope fed back through itself a second time. The 3/8" nylon has enough strength and takes up less space in the anchor bag. You use nylon because it is the least affected by sun and handles abrasion well.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       03-28-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
Good call Art. The "double bowlline" is also called "bowline on a bite" and is definately the correct knot. A nice splice, either to a carabiner or directly to the anchor would also be a good solution.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-28-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
Alot of anchor ropes have the attached thimble. The one I have now has the thimble still in it, but I think the d_ring came undone and that is how I lost my anchor. So is it best to knot straight to the rod off the anchor or try the dring through thimble route? Thanks for the input so far, but it seems double bowline leaves a large loop through the anchor eye, or does that close tight leaving no loop? Just curious.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-28-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
I have mine fairly snug on the anchor eye. It should not be a large loop but it can be loose.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-29-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
When are these box anchors going to drop in price?