Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (justinstephens)      Join Date: May 2003       11-26-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
Just curious when everyone out there usually starts thinking about buying a new board...In the fall when the season is ending, or in the spring right before things start to warm up.

The reason why I ask is because it seems a little weird that all the new wake gear starts shipping around the same time the new snow gear starts shipping for the winter. Does that bother you, or do you prefer to just buy everything all at the same time? Always been kind of a weird thing to me.

I understand that there are boat shows and all kinda of other things going on during the winter months that encourage manufacturers to sell new gear during that time of year, but still, personally to me all the new gear feels kinda old by the time Summer rolls around as opposed to it feeling fresh and new if it were shipping in Jan, Feb or something...

Just provoking a little conversation here...Curious as to what everyone thinks...

(Message edited by justinstephens on November 26, 2007)
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-26-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
i think i big part of it has to do with having the product ready to sell for the holiday season.

i personally always have a board in mind that i want to try next, but i usually wont get it unitl i break my current one or mess it up where it doesnt ride the same.
Old     (wannabewakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-26-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
Right now.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-26-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
i usually get new gear when they come out, since you can pretty much ride year-round in cali, albeit w/ a drysuit in the winter. with that said, if gear is introduced to me any other time if i like it, i'll get it no matter what time of the year it is.

by the way, i'm totally bummed i missed out on the "push process" premiere at the oakley headquarters (we were filming in az), but i'm looking forward to pickin' up the movie. the trailer's super sick! and yeah, i've been sportin' my "push process" shirt! haha! is the release on schedule?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-26-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
They make you buy wakeboards?
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-26-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
I get to drool over the new gear all winter, and them if I'm in the market for a new board/boots I'll probably pick them up Feb/March. Its fun staring at your new setup for a couple weeks before the season starts.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-26-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
If you release the new gear in January, you're basically making all them Aussies wait until mid-season to pick up the new gear. So you release it as their warm season begins so you can get the sales from everyone needing new gear. This kinda coincides with the Holiday season for us...sorta...and I'm sure it depends on product availability as well. I don't know what the real reason is for all of this, but I know that wakeworld would be an ugly, ugly place if all the manufacturers waited until Spring to release their gear.

(Message edited by scott_a on November 26, 2007)
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-26-2007, 9:20 PM Reply   
whenever I get the $$$,..... $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-27-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
I buy my new gear as soon as you guys get tired of the gear you just bought and are willing to part with it for far less than you bought it for. That being said, the best used deals tend to be at the tail end of the season and about a month before the start of the next season. In between, there seems to be as few people interested in selling as there are in buying.
Old    K.B.C.            11-27-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Spring
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-28-2007, 6:20 AM Reply   
I feel this is kind of the black eye of the industry. I think its kind of kookish when sports get so gear-centric, esp when new gear is no better than the current gear or the inexpensive gear is no better than the high dollar stuff. Wakeboarding has to be one of the worst.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-28-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
I'm waiting for someone around here to get the 08 O'Brien boards in
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-28-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
Any sport that requires personal gear tends to slip into a gear arms race. Wakeboarding is not nearly as bad as golf in that respect. The boat required to wakeboard makes the barrier to entry kind of pricey. Compared to the boat, the wake gear is a drop in the hat. In golf the cost to play nicer courses is a drop in the hat compared to the price of clubs, balls, etc. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think the gear heads in wakeboarding just consistently have the money to spend and are willing to do so to get the most out of the boat they spent so much on.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-28-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
Good point
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-28-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
Dante, a new graphic sheet or new bend here and there dont really change what you getting out of the boat. The wakeboard market kind of reminds me of the shoe market when I was a kid in the late 80's. We actually thought that different shoes improved our performance. We bought into that hype.

Generally, sports like this have core participants, and industry nuts. Generally the participants outweigh the industry nuts quite a bit. However, in wakeboarding it seems the industry guys far outweigh the core participants.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-28-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
I don't buy new gear all the time, only as I need it. I am currently riding an '04 board (gb harris) and '03 boots (zeus)

That being said I just bought an '01 board to ride (hl byerly finless) because I love that shape and cracked my old one. I will probably get the '08 zeus OT boots this year, assuming I like the way they fit.

so to answe your question, some of us don't have a time of year to get new stuff, we'd rather spend our money other places that matter more than having the latest style.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-28-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
I try to buy end-of-season, when prices drop. Nothing beats being in college and on a budget.

Can't wait for PP. Am I going to be able to pick it up for Christmas?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-28-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
whenever i want something...and my bank acct agrees with me
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-28-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
JG - You're always the voice of reason! I think bindings change more than boards. I would still be completely happy to be on my 2001 Premier. That being said, I had to wear my 2001 Belmonts recently and I felt like I had on my first Connelly sandal bindings! It seems that the bindings become more supportive and better every year, but I don't know of many boards that are going to make you stomp a new trick any better than the boards could 5-6 years ago.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-28-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
i have to agree with garret. i buy at the end of the season, maybe even 1 year old. i have a family (wife and 3 kids) who all need different boards. buying the hot new ($400) board is really not even a consideration.

i love watching the new shapes and innovations, but in my mind, i have to think, maybe next year.
Old     (wannabewakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-28-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
I'll buy the '07 stuff Oct-Nov of '07 and in 2008 I'll buy a new 2008 setup in Oct-Nov or 2008 So pretty much at the season, when price drop.
Old    110outlet            12-02-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
Ill buy in Jan/Feb and usually a yr behind the current for product. Can usually get it for atleast 1/3 the starting price.