Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (edandgem)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
I was told by the sanger Dealer today that the 08 Sangers can be ordered with all composite hull in 08. They said they will be out later this year. I have not seen them so I do not know of any changes in the hull or interior.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-15-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
I don't think there are any hull disign changes just the stringers are now composit instead of wood.
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-15-2007, 5:15 PM Reply   
Oh man! And they said wood was so great in a Sanger; that wood was the best for absorbing noise and made their boats so much better! Why would they go to all fiberglass now?
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-15-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
i don't know about that whole non wood stringers. there was a recent article in the Fresno Bee here in Fresno Ca. for the best in the boat businness for fresno and sangers factory took 4th. long story short there was a quote from the sanger owner that comented how they still take building boats to old days with using a lot of wood in the boats and they plan on keeping it that way. if they did change the wood stringings thats great. i had a friend that had to have his stringers replaced in his sanger because of them roating out
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-15-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
I've ridden in, and behind Sangers' since the '70s, and the wood stringers are what makes a Sanger ride like a Sanger. You say "can be ordered" Hope this is just an available option, and not a total change for them. Sad day in the boat building industry if it is...
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2007, 5:43 PM Reply   
Wood really doesnt make any sense in a boat
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-15-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
Wood floats, boats should float.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-15-2007, 5:58 PM Reply   
Wood makes plenty of sense in a boat. Look at off-shore racers that run 100+mph in 3 foot swells all day long.

"Why would they go to all fiberglass now?"

Simple Dave, capture some more of the market for folks like yourself that have this ill informed notion that only all composite boats are any good.
Old     (edandgem)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
Yes from what I understand it is a option. The hull will be all composite including the stringers. I do not know if there will be a additional cost or if the price will be the same.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-15-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
sounds like salesman speak to me
what does composite mean?
it already says they are composite!
from sanger site:
like the moisture-sealed wood/glass composite structure we use inside our hulls. Our hand-fabricated and hand-finished Aqua-beam-cored fiberglass composite stringers are critical components of each hull. It takes time and dedication to build a boat that lasts a lifetime.

unless scott pellaton says it, i don't beleive it
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-15-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
Sangers' brilliant... call it an "option" - charge more for it, (probably costs less to build), laugh all the way to the bank, thanking all the boatbuilders that have hyped the "all composite" hull all these years. But continue to offer wood stringers to those that know better.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-15-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
ryan
the aqua beams are made of non rotting wood and are lifetime, ive never seen one rot. ive been around alot of sangers since 1985, my friend still has an 86 in perfect shape, sangers don't rot.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-15-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
I can't imagine supporting two assembly processes. That would be nuts.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-15-2007, 9:08 PM Reply   
Technically, plywood is a carbon based composite. So they already make a pretty high tech unit. So was my kart to crash at the bottom of the hill when I was 6. I could always get it together again.
Formula 1 cars ore mostly carbon based composites too, but they cost more, and might be a bit more sophisticated than even my Sanger
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-15-2007, 9:25 PM Reply   
wood rots, boats shouldn't rot.
Old     (tx_cook)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-15-2007, 10:50 PM Reply   
composites fail catastrophically, boats shouldnt fail catastrophically
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-15-2007, 11:10 PM Reply   
I think its an options somtthing to the affect that a friend (bare footer or planker) of some one high up wanted an all composite sanger. So now it might be an option for 08

(Message edited by whitie on May 15, 2007)
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-15-2007, 11:46 PM Reply   
The wood scare is a joke, Sanger knows how to build a boat they have been sense the 70s. There flatbottoms are all over the place and personally i've never had anyone tell me or seen a boat with rood rot that sanger makes.

If it rots take it to the dealer thats what the lifetime warranty is for.

Whoever started the "wood is bad" scare anyways?
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-16-2007, 5:08 AM Reply   
The wood scare is no joke! Not all of us live in dry regions. My dads roof is made of wood in SoCal and has lasted God know how long. Put that roof in Indiana where I live and you would have wood rot within 2 years.

Boat stringers are no different. Ive seen alot of bad wood stringers. I Had to replace some myself (not in a Sanger) Going composite is a good decision.

(Message edited by redsupralaunch on May 16, 2007)
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-16-2007, 5:49 AM Reply   
Tige has not used wood for almost 5 years
Old    DRA            05-16-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
I have spent some time in the proto-types and there are some very cool things comming for 2008. All composite hull is the tip of the iceberg. The hull is still the same and the performance has not changed. The boat is still solid and you will not tell the diffrence between the 2 types of construction. The only thing I had any concern on was the radiant noise from outside the boat (water against the hull). But the first ride was without any insulating material so that was expected, with a completed interior the noise is gone and it is still a solid Sanger boat.

Chris Walker; I hate to flame you so I will go easy - You don't have a clue to what Sanger does with there stringers. Best advice search the archives and get some info on how it is built and the guarantee that Sanger puts on there construction. Your statement does hold true for 15 year old boats but get with the times and current technology.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-16-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
I'm educating myself on the v215 for a purchase early next year. In talking with Sanger, it is my understanding composite will be an option but honestly, I'll still order wood. I just do not think you can beat the ride.
Old    bocephus            05-16-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
From the man himself:

We are offering a composite boat this fall. It will be an option and it will cost more than a wood boat. It's hard to find sales people that will take the time to sell the features of wood. We feel that with this option, we will be able to sell more boats in areas that have weak sales people. This new system is a big difference compared to our competition. That's the skinny! Thanks, Scott

That was from Scott Pellaton. The only people who I would trust information regarding Sanger more is Mike and Kathy Davidson. Sanger has been in the business since 1956 and knows what the heck they are doing. Sangers are built to last, probably more so than all but one other company who has been in business a little longer. Buy quality, buy history, buy family, not disco lights and bling...add those yourself!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-16-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
Wood is stronger than steel in weight, boats should be stronger than steel in weight.

Wow, this thread is getting dumb.

Wood mixed with epoxy resins and layered fiberglass can be really strong stuff. Epoxy is a better resin than polyester, and can handle a lot more. Fiberglass alone is very brittle (although epoxies are better). Composite stringers seem like a better choice, but vibration over time will even kill composite stringer. Wood can handle the vibration a lot better. Keep the wood Sanger! When I graduate I want a 210 or 215!
Old    stillstandin            05-16-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
I would still order it with wood. Like somebody said earlier, offshore racing boats still use wood. There is a reason for this. Other manufactuars stopped using wood to streamline their production, then said "wood is bad" They did this because it is cheaper to build, and takes a lot of effort to do wood right. Sanger does wood right, and they have been building boats since the 50's. My Sanger is only a 05, but if I was ordering one in 08, it would without a doubt, be wood.

This old guy (like in his 70's), came up to me the other day, when we were getting ready to launch our boat, said to me, you know, Sanger is one of the last real boats, they still know how to build them. The I see his boat, it was a 30 year old hot rod Sanger. The guy tells me it still has the original Stringers, he redid the floor about 20 years ago. He was a cool old man. Def knew his stuff about boats.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-16-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
fellow Sanger lovers, ... I think we've made our point.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-16-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
From my research, the wood stringer is not only what makes Sanger one of the best constructed boats out there but will last much longer than the composite forms used in most boats(please note that I do not own a Sanger). There is no better wakeboard boat in rough water than a Sanger! Yes and why do offshore racers use wood because it is better for the ride. Tige stopped using wood stringers so that they could go more nation wide in selling of their boats and just pump out more boats. It had nothing to do with constructing a better boat. Composite for boats is not the best construction but it is cheaper to produce. Any composite will break down over time but the "Living Qualities" of wood will allow it to endure longer.

As to the comments of Mr Walker, that is perhaps the silliest comparison that I have heard in years. You cannot compare an untreated fully exposed wood roof to a treated wood stringer.

In my opinion buying a all compsite Sanger is like buying a Ferrari with a two cylinder motor but people do stupid things.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-16-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
Boats have been built out of wood for thousands of years. It's a tried and true fact.

LOL!!!

Sangers are great boats. Anyone that doesn't buy one because they are scared of the wood is mis-informed.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-16-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
what about some pictures of broken composite stringers?
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-16-2007, 4:16 PM Reply   
bftskir i personally saw the roten stringer with my own eyes. my parents dealership has been around since 1939(it started with my great grandparents adn has gone through the family) and we've seen many parts of the boats rot away not just the stringers but any part of the boat that had wood in it. they weren't sangers all sorts of brands. i'm not intending on bashing sanger's i'm just throwing the info that i have out there.
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-16-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
From Sanger's website: "These hull stringers are an example of our Aqua Beam non-rotting wood. Aqua Beam wood is comprised of plywood construction which increases rigidity and structural integrity and eliminates grain flex patterns". Interesting how Sanger fails to tell the consumer exactly what type of wood is used in Aqua Beam. Is it well-known Perma Panel? XL-10? Oh, we know it's plywood and not solid wood ... and of course we all know that plywood is stronger than solid beam construction, right? Looking at their website, the floor is clearly plywood, but Sanger does not explain what type of plywood they use, how it is sealed or how they glass it in. Lifetime warranty that covers what in the event of dryrot in the floors or stringers? Full replacement at no cost? Wood only and the labor is on the consumer? For an unlimited amount of years as long as you're the original owner? Anyone have a copy of Sanger's warranty?

'Wood reduces resonation'. Actually the injected foam (along with other factors) between the floors, the hull and the stringers is primarily responsible for reducing vibration. Again, Sanger fails to explain if they inject foam under their floors or not. Even DRA says he drove both and admits that the all fiberglass Sanger has the same ride qualites as the Sanger with wood. What about Sanger's current claim that wood absorbs noise and dampens resonation? If wood is so great as Sanger claims, then why change now? Because there is no real advantage to having it in a ski boat.

'Offshore boats use wood'. Duh. You cannot get the structural rigidity or the strength for 4-8' chop in a 35-50' offshore boat using just fiberglass; there's way too much length involved. However, in a 20-23' ski boat you can get the same rigity and strength because it is a much smaller area and a ski boat is not meant to cut through 4-8' chop and swells at 60+ mph. And you can do this without wood and totally eliminate any possiblity of dry rot in the floors or stringers. It has everything to do with building a better boat for the consumer. Wood floors, stringers and transoms do rot in boats. I understand from manufacturers that it is much cheaper and simpler to build a boat with wood stringers and floors. Those are the main reasons that manufacturers have gotten away from wood construction.

"Plywood, technically is a carbon based composite. So they already make a pretty high tech unit". No offense, but that's about the dumbest statement I've heard on WW. Wood is not a composite, it comes from a fckn tree! Hint: a tree grows in the ground and carbon fiber and fiberglass are manufactured. But comparing wood to carbon fiber used in Formula 1 race cars and implying that Sanger uses similar materials ... wow, that's brilliant! Go back to Wood/fiberglass/composites 1A.

Sanger basically says 'Our boats have wood stringers and floors because it's the best!' No wait! We're going to go to all fiberglass with no wood because it's the best. Or we're losing market share. No wait! All fiberglass is the best!! Oh hell! Wood is the best and always has been, but now that we've sold you on wood for 40 years, we're going to get rid of wood! Damnit! "Mr. Consumer. You can choose our wood based Sanger because it dampens sound or all fiberglass which is noisier but will never rot". What a cluster fck for Sanger and their dealers if they produce both.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sanger makes a good boat, but I don't think wood needs to be in ski boats today. I think guys that say wood is so great to have in a Sanger have been "sold" on Sanger's marketing by Sanger salesmen. Apparently Sanger has a reason for changing to all fiberglass for 2008 and I don't think it's just to join the crowd.

Upload
Upload
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-16-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
Gary, do you think there will be any changes to the 210? Maybe higher freeboard with a FLAT sundeck.
Old    stillstandin            05-16-2007, 4:51 PM Reply   
"I understand from manufacturers that it is much cheaper and simpler to build a boat with wood stringers and floors"

Absolutly 100% wrong. It is more labor intensive, and more expensive to do this. I disagree with everything else you said as well. But I've made my point, and you are entitled to your opinion.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-16-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
Deltadave, did you skip the part were it's an option and not standard. What are you trying to prove. It seams like every boating magazine I read with boat ads claim they dont use wood. In my eyes sanger's jumping on that bandwagon because they will sell more boats that way.
Old    bocephus            05-16-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
Sanger is gonna use composite so they can sell their boats to idiots who think wood is bad! This thread just goes to show you how hard headed people can be.

Sanger builds a top notch boat for cheap and stands behind their products. Sanger has been around since 1956 so it only goes to reason that they will be around to honor their warranty if ever needed (unlike some others who just close shop one day, change the sign, and reopen the next day and say sorry that company went out of business...Ya that's directed toward you Mike!).

It seems as though everyone is an expert on how to build a boat. Next thing you know, someone will be telling me how good resin-infused boat hulls are, how light they are and how strong they are, tell us that offshore boats use resin-infused hulls but forget to mention that they infuse balsa core not foam in the hull - minor detail...then someone will tell me that it doesn't hurt to store several gallons of water inside the hull without a liner or tank and that water won't work it's way into every nook and deteriorate the hull...and then someone will tell me that those cracks are only cosmetic....

I just hope they take their time and keep building Sangers the way Jack started back in '56. Jack built the best back in the day...

He always said, "I'd rather die working than die in a rocking chair." RIP JACK!!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-16-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
Delta Dave, re-read the email from Scott Pellaton, you're clueless to the facts bud.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-16-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
Scott? time to chime in
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-16-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
Hey, delta dave, I'm going to have to find a sarcasm emoticon so you can pick up when I'm doing that. It's something I do. I'll also always put up only info that I know to be accurate, even if it is sardonic.

Plywood is a composite. There are no 'plywood trees'. It's made from wood laminated in multiple layers with glues or Wood laminated to a fabricated core of resins and wood chips. That is multiple materials and therefore a composite.

Wood is carbon based and yet is not very similar to carbon fiber. I have used carbon fiber construction in many places on race cars for 13 years so I do know a little about them.

Rigid foams don't dampen vibration in fiberglass as much as wood does. In fact a fridge insulated with injected foam is not as quiet as one with fiberglass batting in it even if it is more efficient. I've done a great deal of research on Sound Transmission Coeffeicients so I know a little about that too.

I don't make any claim that the wood stringers are why I bought a Sanger. The boat did what I wanted it to do better than any other of about 15 brands I looked serioiusly at. Maybe part of that was because it had wood stringers, and maybe not. My old boat was built in 1980 and has over 3500 hours on it with the original wood floor and stringers. It has certainly never been treated with overdue kindness and yet still handles a mountain storm without issue when they blow up on the lake. As a result I have No fear of the durability of my new Sanger with much more advanced plywood.

Sorry for the rant guys.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-16-2007, 8:45 PM Reply   
^^That post does not have sarcasm in it Dave, but this one does.

(Message edited by rallyart on May 16, 2007)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-16-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
DD's comments are hilarious. I mean come on you basically tried to contradict out of hand everything that was previously stated and you did so with either made up or mis information. Where you say that it's not necessary to use the wood in a ski boat because they don't need to endure as much trauma is the antithesis of your point. Are you trying to say it's overkill? That they are making them better than they have too? Seriously though some funny stuff.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-16-2007, 9:05 PM Reply   
Oh, and DD, they do say exactly what type of plywood they use in the quote you used before part of your rant.
http://www.affiliatedresources.net/aquabeamplus.shtml
That's the tech sheet web site. It took me about 1 minute to look it up.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-16-2007, 9:24 PM Reply   
DD nice of you to point out the side bulkhead...unique to Sanger which eliminates vibration.
i don't think there is any foam filling in a sanger...its wood, and as Art kindly pointed out not just roof wood wilber.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
Hmmmm, Personally I think the problem is too many people refer to Aqua beam as "Wood". It may have started its life as wood but after all the treatment and chemical processes they do to it, its not really wood anymore. Anywho I trust Sanger will not put out a boat that they are not 100% satisfied with, wood or composite makes no difference to me.
Old    DRA            05-17-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
It is true no foam filler in Sanger, But I do wish they would fill the ice chest cavity with foam to help keep the ice longer. I asked why they did not use foam and without directly implicating the most reliable source on their construction methods it boils down to water (my conclusion from the conversation). Water will find its way everywhere inside a boat no matter how good a manufacture thinks they have sealed it off. Have you seen what moisture does to foam? It grows some interesting looking stuff and that stuff has a good talent of breaking materials down.
Not knocking one method of building verses another I am sure there is an argument for everything but that is one of the reasons Sanger still uses the more labor intensive method of Aqua-Beam construction.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-17-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
Wood has been in boats for thousands of years?
Wood has rotted in boats for thousands of years.
CC and MC have been wood free for over a decade, but what do they know over Sanger? LOL
Old    bocephus            05-17-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
DRA,
I dig your boat! Very nice...How does the V215 ride compared to the V210?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-17-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Very good Billy.
I did drive the MC and it was a very nice boat. it just didn't do what I wanted as well. But no question that it does what other people want.
Old    DRA            05-17-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
Billy, CC and MC know a lot about building and they are good at it. The reason they went away from wood construction was not a rot issue. The funny thing is you don't seem to get the concept. It is a manufacturing cost issue. All fiberglass is cheaper to produce and maintain QC. Both of the companies you mention produce large quantities of boats and to add a more labor intensive process would escalate their prices enormously. Then why does Sanger still do it? They believe they are still producing a quality product with a better structure and limit their production to maintain an affordable consumer price. So why is an all glass going to cost more? New tooling for production, different construction methods and additional factory space are all probably figured into the cost.
I am not answering for the factory but the myths about aqua-beam (Not a true wood) construction mostly have been derived by the salesmen of other brands trying to figure out how to slow Sangers steady growth and strong customer backing of their product. Every boat has its problems but wood or fiberglass is not one of them.
Old    DRA            05-17-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
Thanks Bocepus,

I really like the 215. The ride is every bit as good and I think better than the 210. I was heart set on the 210 until I actually got in the 215 and then drove it. Then it was an easy decision on what to buy. Added room and storage with the same agility as the 210. The wake shape is definitely more to my style also, less abrupt and I think bigger when equally weighted. Unfortunately I have sold the 215. She still is in the delta area and in good hands.

(Message edited by sanger215guy on May 17, 2007)
Old    bocephus            05-17-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Billy,
"CC and MC have been wood free for over a decade, but what do they know over Sanger? LOL"

Well last time I checked CC nor MC have ever built a world speed record holder or an offshore boat. I would imagine that you learn a few things about boat construction when building those. Sanger has been in business longer than any other wakeboard boat co. with the exception of CC. Sanger is the only company that is still solely owned by the same family (CC's ownership is somewhat diluted) that started building them way back in 1956 and hasn't gone through a bankruptcy the way CC did. Sanger holds to their quality versus quantity ideals. Have you ever even seen a Sanger? Took a ride in one? Driven one?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-17-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
Well bocephus, Sea Ray,Cobalt,Glastron, Regal, Chis Craft etc. are wood free. Sanger has never built a cruiser over 50-60ft which has nothing to do with this topic kinda like a world speed record holder.

DRA, so your telling me that Bayliner uses wood cuz composite is cheaper and wood costs more? The boat Mfgs mentioned above are not as well built then as Bayliner? Don't think so.
Old    bocephus            05-17-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
Billy,
Every boat manufacturer you mentioned is a high volume boat builder and build many boats at once, Sanger builds them one at a time!

You are telling me that prior boat building experience has nothing to do with this topic? Wood and Aqua-beam are not the same and the manufacturing processes the two companies use isn’t either.

OBTW, Jack Davidson (Sanger Boats) did build a 62' houseboat, it's called the Jack Bull and is moored at Wahweap so you are wrong again. Jack helped Boatel get into the business back in the day.

You just want argue, something that you aren't very good at. It was the same when I bought my Nautique.
Old    bocephus            05-17-2007, 12:01 PM Reply   
BTW Billy, you, once again, are DEAD WRONG!! Chris Craft does use wood!!

http://www.chriscraftboats.com/dif_construct_passion.aspx

http://www.chriscraftboats.com/corsair_33_specs.aspx

Hull & Deck

Classic deep-v hull with flair bow, tumblehome and integral transom
Hand laid fiberglass construction
Foam filled sub floor areas
Heavy PVC rub rail with stainless steel insert
XL 10 Plywood stringer system encapsulated in fiberglass

OOPS! Wrong again. Regal uses wood too!

http://www.boatinglife.com/article_content.jsp?ID=9519

On the subject of durability, Regal carefully encapsulates and seals a warranted Perma Wood stringer system beneath structural fiberglass to protect it from moisture. A lifetime structural warranty adds Regal's certainty that it will last.

(Message edited by bocephus on May 17, 2007)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-17-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
Billy, how many Sangers have you ridden/driven? How many have you seen with their stringer falling apart? If the sum is more than 2, then continue bashing. Until then it just looks like you are trying to justify your purchase to a group of very satisfied Sanger owners.

I applaud Sanger for expanding their processes. I also applaud them for the sick wake my buddies' makes and after 600+ (well loaded) hours is kicking strong. See profile for example of its wake.
Old    DRA            05-17-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
Billy,

Are you just skimming over what you read or what? Wood construction is more labor intensive. I never said a word about what is built better, Bayliner also has some very well built models and some suck. The topic does have a lot to do with boat building, Sanger has successfully built some of the best performance boats in the world. There technology has been copied, stolen, and praised by most manufactures in business today. They are one of the leading pioneers in performance boats that is the very essence of where the wake specific boat has come from. The whole statement of the topic was Sanger is now offering an all composite hull to expand their market to those who might have a misconception on their aqua-beam construction. It never made any comparisons to other manufactures. It was postings like yours that insinuate that Sanger’s construction is less than a MC or CC constructed boat.
Sanger actually has built day cruisers and offshore boats also. Cris Craft started in all wood and built some of the most beautiful boats ever made.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-17-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
I havent said Sanger is bad!!! Wood in boats encapsulated or not will evntually rot. When the hull flexes you can get seperation and then you have a chance water gets in. I think Sanger going to woodfree is a excellent idea. Almost all cruisers have wood and so some of the mfgs I mentioned have some wood,I was wrong. I still say wood IMO is not as good as composite.
DRA I dont which Bayliner you are talking about being quality but I would like to know.
Again I never bashed Sanger or said they were crap. Hell Banana Man has one, in fact he is the only Sanger owner in Polk County. So no I have never rode in one.
Old    bocephus            05-17-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
Billy....Please Read the Following...

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/preventing_rot_in_encapsulated_wood.htm

"Finally, many people ask why wood should be used at all in "fiberglass" boats. The answer is that wood isn't the problem. If the windows and doors of your home were made of sugar pine, they'd rot away just as fast as your boat. The reason they don't is that good quality wood like cedar and fir is used which doesn't rot away in a heart beat. The essence of the problem is low grade wood being used. We routinely see 20 year old boats with exposed plywood structurals that has been soaking in water for nearly a quarter century, and yet it hasn't rotted. That's the difference between quality material and the junk."

The difference is QUALITY!
Old    bocephus            05-17-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
"Wood in boats encapsulated or not will evntually rot." - Billy

WRONG AGAIN!!

This one hasn't in 7,500 years...how long do you suggest we wait?
http://www.china.org.cn/english/travel/50131.htm
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-17-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
Had an Eliminator in the late 80's, supposed to be top notch custom build. Floor had rotted out by the mid 90's.

We'll just have to wait and see how things stand up to the test of time, if the composite constructed boats out last the ones with wood.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-17-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
I never saw this kind of defense put up by Tige owners when Tige used wood. I think Tige switched only due to ignorance of people who got hit by the other company's negative sales pitches. I have never seen someone talk about a a hull failure due to wood in a Tige and I doubt Sanger has either.

It is sad to see Sanger giving in to lies and dishonesty. But busines is business, and I am sure they will sell more boats with the non-wood gimmick.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-17-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
billy
sangers all have the side bulkhead, no other manufacturer is using it, it ELIMINATES flexing in the hull, thats why Sanger owners like the boats ride and feel, when we hit your wakes our boat sounds and feels SOLID, its not flexing and making the slapping sounds other mfgs make...ride in a sanger and be enlightened
banana is what 93? now? he and i have the same boats.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-17-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
Boy, this string brought the Sanger owners out of the woodwork!!!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-17-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
Ha ha nice pun Andy. It does show how fiercely loyal Sanger owners are, It reflects well on the company IMO
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-17-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
Moral of the story...don't "F" with Sanger owners because we're smarter than you. (please read tongue in cheek) I think that most owners are like me and they bought into the company and the family and we just in general really believe in the product. I'm sure that the dealers they bought from took the time to educate them fully on basically every aspect of the Sanger boat making process and philosophy. I myself did a years worth of research before I made my decision on Sanger and yes $ had something to do with it. I just feel it wouldn't have been fiscally responsable of me to pay more for what in my eyes amounted to "paying for a name." I looked at all the company's and really feel that there are many good choices out there but you have to pay 10-15k more for them and I simply could not find that disparity in the boats. Ask yourself when did you last see a Sanger ad? You barely ever see them I literally have just seen my first in WB magazine, that means I don't have to pay for heavy ad campaigns and still I get the same quality. "F" with Sanger owners an you get the whole family.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-17-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
...AMEN...
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-17-2007, 10:17 PM Reply   
sanger has no max horsepower rating on the hulls
bolt in whatever you want
all others have max ratings
could have something to do with the racing pedigree...take a look at
http://www.barefootcentral.com/Videos/scott_pellatonSpeedPractice2006a.wmv
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-17-2007, 10:18 PM Reply   
There's alot Billy doesen't get... Look at all the MC problems on threads around here. How many Sanger issues do you hear about? lol
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-18-2007, 6:18 AM Reply   
Sparky Jay, how many MCs vs Sangers sold? more boats more issues.
bftskir, most max hps are put on by the Mfg for liablity reasons.
Bocephus... Or should I call you, Red Sovine? Get off the CC band wagon? Change your name and brand you argue for?
Again I never said Sanger was bad, just the wood.
I see boats everyday less than 10 years old with soft floors do to wood rotting. Now I know it isnt 7500 yr old chinese wood, but what ever most lower end mfgs use rots. (not saying Sanger is lower end,take it easy)
Andy G, your right I think every single Sanger owner except Bananaman has posted here.
I must say loyalty in anything is what makes the world go round, and every now and then makes us stop and fight as well. Still loyalty is a good thing.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-18-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
Oh BTW with Sanger going to NO WOOD in 08, are all you pre 08 Sanger owner wood fans never gonna buy another Sanger produced in 08 and above cuz composite sucks?
Just wondering.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-18-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
If you read through the thread it is mentioned several times that No Wood will be an option.

So I rode in a 215 last night. Super comfy through the chop and almost zero vibration. It's true about advertisement. I would have never bought the Sanger I own now had a friend not owned one several years back. Word of mouth is everything.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-18-2007, 7:14 AM Reply   
I'm going back to pickin on the Bu guys. You all are too mean.
Oh yeah Bananaman told me Sanger is going to offer both composite and wood in 08, but will phase out the wood option shortly after. But he may have Alzhimers, so who knows.

(Message edited by woreout on May 18, 2007)
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-18-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
I love to see the Sanger loyalty. Were small in number but very passionate about Sangers.
Old    DRA            05-18-2007, 8:30 AM Reply   
Billy;

"Sparky Jay, how many MCs vs. Sangers sold? more boats more issues."

Dude do you really think it is more problems due to more boats sold or a harder time keeping QC up. With a larger production you will see a larger # of items get missed during QC. MB (at the time Ski Brendella) experienced this during their growth. I would really like to be able to see the percentages of issues after purchase. I do know Sanger has had some and some have had a hell of a time with their salesman in getting them taken care of. It is a given that there will always be issues but what type and how many is the biggest question to find the true answer to quantity vs. quality. I can say the more they limit there production the easier it is to QC before delivery.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-18-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
Ya gotta know Billy just likes pushing buttons to see the reaction he gets...
Upload

(Message edited by rallyart on May 18, 2007)
Old    bocephus            05-18-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
Sanger produces boats one at a time. Mike personally inspects each boat and is the guy who wraps the boat up before delivery. I don't see to many other owners doing this. I have been to the factory before and actually saw Mike pull a boat prior to delivery for having a powder coated tower on it instead of a brushed one. I don't even own a Sanger, I currently own a CC due to the superior dealer service in my area of Arizona. If I was in CA I would have a Sanger. What else is there? SAN210 and V210?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-18-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
so because of "liability" other mfgrs limit horsepower???...and Sanger here in suit happy california the litigious capital of the world
has no horsepower limits on their boats....i think this says volumes about quality and faith they have in their product. The same lessons learned in keeping 1000 horsepower bolted safely in and holding together through 200 mph runs are utilized. so no horsepower limit
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-18-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
Over 20ft no limit from the CG its up to the MFG.
bftskir, I wouldnt brag on the HP from Mercruiser engines for the ski/wakeboard boats. The speedboats yes but that is a whole different ballgame.
san210nut: fix any wrecked boats lately?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-18-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
To all Sanger owners/defenders,

Don't you guys think you're taking Billy's comments too personal?

Who cares what one guy thinks about the wood in your Sanger,it is only one opinion.Why do ten guys have to defend one guys views.....

Simple fact is that Sanger is Cheaper to buy so people are going to think the wood in the boat has something to do with it.I personally never seen a Sanger rot but had to repair floor,stringers in my old DD Ski Centurion.

So YES wood will rot!
Sanger wood,I don't know.Centurion wood YES
Old     (twobills)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-18-2007, 12:05 PM Reply   
I just bought my Sanger in April. I have zero complaints. It is everything I was told. I hope to have this boat for many years.

My name is Bill and "Billy" is giving me a bad name.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-18-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
SOO sorry for givin ya a bad name, Bill. No complaints? From looking at your Profile pic I would complain about the dead battery in your boat and those Costco wheels on the trailer.
You guys are funny, I still havent bashed Sanger.
Everybody is entitled to an opinion.