Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    chuk            02-14-2003, 3:54 PM Reply   
I'm really struggling with this ....

We came from an I/O world where we didn't have Perfect Pass and I can't say we had too much trouble controling the speed. Mind you, none of us are really good boarders so being off by a mile an hour was no big deal. Our previous boat seemed to hold its speed quite well. Now that we've ordered a Malibu VLX, I wonder if we should opt for Perfect Pass as most, if not all, people on this site love it (some even say they wouldn't buy a boat without it). Is it more difficult to control speed with a tournament boat, or is PP's popularity due to riders getting more picky about speed as they improve?

Thanks!
Old    gotpwr            02-14-2003, 4:01 PM Reply   
Tournament boats typically hold speed better than I/O's. I think people have just gotten spoiled with having the exact same pull every time regardless of driver. I know I have, when my PP went out on me last summer I couldn't believe what a difference not having it makes. I will never have another boat without it. IMO there is no decision, just get it.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-14-2003, 4:16 PM Reply   
It's not important as long as you never use it. Once you try it, you gotta have it, both driver and rider.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-14-2003, 4:23 PM Reply   
I think that's what we're afraid of!
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-14-2003, 4:33 PM Reply   
Perfect Pass is more important than a tower in my opinion.

So did you get a tower on your VLX?
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-14-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
I agree with Jason. If I could have only one option, it would be the Perfect Pass. It's the best option you never thought you would need.
Old     (elduke)      Join Date: May 2002       02-14-2003, 4:39 PM Reply   
Very, very important. We call it the marriage/friendship saver.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-14-2003, 5:09 PM Reply   
I think they make for a safer ride for everybody also. It allows the driver to better focus on what's up ahead vs. trying to do that and keep the speed dialed in perfectly. Once you get better, you'll ballast it more, and you'll be pulling harder when you cut, which are two things that make keeping speed a little more challenging. It's worth it. I can't wait to get it on my boat.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2003, 5:12 PM Reply   
Speed Control Rules!
It is SO great.
Better ride.
More consistent speed.
More consistent wake.
Easier to drive.
Safer to drive.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       02-14-2003, 5:31 PM Reply   
I payed $1400 (i think) to have it installed on my VLX after one summer and it was worth every red cent. Just get it man. It is worth just not to fight with your wife during every pull.
Old    phimple            02-14-2003, 11:04 PM Reply   
Well I think Rob VLX just hit the nail on the head. I'm about to hand over the cash to get one for my I/O. I have spent all the money getting a good board and bindings, tower, rope, speakers, ballast etc etc. So now the boat looks the bomb and everybody has a great time behind it, all except for me cos nobody else can drive, and when the wife drives then it all gets ugly , I get mega pissed .......

Perfect pass hopefully should be the answer, or I will just have to hire a driver....

(Message edited by phimple on February 14, 2003)
Old    aquajack            02-14-2003, 11:12 PM Reply   
There are 2 places to get divorced in and around boats, at the launch ramp is the 1st and the 2nd is at either end of a rope. Buy the Perfect Pass (A.K.A. Marriage Control) and save at least half of your marriage!
Old     (wakinwestcoast)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-15-2003, 12:14 AM Reply   
i don't think i would ever get a boat without it again. you can tell a difference in the pull. it is always solid. and double ups and perfect every time.
Old    swass            02-15-2003, 6:59 AM Reply   
You won't miss it until you try it, then you'll never want to drive a boat without it again.
Old     (lsvlance)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2003, 7:33 AM Reply   
Mrs LSV and I are struggling with the PP or tower option also. She finally took a stand and said that she wants the PP so I won't yell at her anymore.

I want the tower also, so I'll have to find another way to convince her we need that, but some kind of speed ocntrol is a must have for us.
Old     (22parksm)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-15-2003, 7:40 AM Reply   
Good piont over there!!!!
I alsow took the PP on my new X2
Old    the_squid            02-15-2003, 8:39 AM Reply   
Hey Joel
I have been operating my business for the last 6 years on old nautiques ( 8000 hours) but just started using PP on my Asian X Games Air 210 Team Ed ......what u hear is true..once you tried it , you won't go back.But I would love to hear feedback on whether there are any problems over time.
Old    chuk            02-15-2003, 11:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'm not too worried about this being a marriage breaker as Linda does a pretty good job behind the wheel. The point about being able to focus on the water and not the speed seems compelling (especially in the early and late season when we have a lot of crud in the water that requires extra attention).

Hey Jason, I didn't realize the VLX could come with a tower - I'll have to look into that
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-15-2003, 12:52 PM Reply   
Joel, get it. Forget the fact that your ride will be better, the driver will have an easier time, and the wake will be more consistent (leading to more enjoyment and fewer injuries). Get it for the safety factor alone - with speed control the driver is free to pay so much more attention to the water ahead and the rider behind.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2003, 1:32 PM Reply   
Hey Lance-

I think I've got the answer that will let you get both. Look for an email from me in a few minutes.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-15-2003, 9:26 PM Reply   
If you're the boat owner and you want a decent pull without having to train everyone to drive your boat, it's worth it's weight in gold!
Old    deltahoosier            02-15-2003, 10:25 PM Reply   
Listen to the crowd on this one!!!!! I will never go back. I am a big guy and when I cut the boat can slow down quite a bit. The boat slowing down can get me killed. If I am trying a back roll or something and the boat slows down, the board starts to drag, the wake gets wide and I case the wake big time. One time I hurt my ribs bad from this happening to me. Worth every cent...
Old    jeffc            02-16-2003, 9:39 AM Reply   
Jason, would you mind copying me on that email? I wasn't even considering perfect pass, since as it is I'm about to spend twice as much on a boat as I've ever spent on a car (and my wife is fixin to kill me for that). But now you clowns have got me thinking.
Old    phimple            02-16-2003, 4:23 PM Reply   
Hmmmmm yes if anybody has a suggestion on where to get a Wakeboard Pro cheap from drop me a line...

Cheers
Old    wakerookie            02-17-2003, 8:03 AM Reply   
I just bought,oppps, WE just bought ( wife just walked in) a Malibu Wakesetter 23XTi. We were looking at several different options for it, the dealer said "forget all the others until you get PP" he said this looking at my wife, and followed with " you won't hear sh*# out of him when your driving." I totally agree with everyone above, ya gotta get it.
Old    bambamski            02-17-2003, 8:23 AM Reply   
I came from the I/O world a couple of years ago and we didn't have perfect pass and it was impossible to hold speed. Now with our current boat I get the thing going to 19 to 22 mph (depending on rider) and we have no problems. Sure there are a couple of corrections here and there but not enough to justify $2000 cdn. Try the VLX out without perfect pass and see what you think. If it can't hold your speed I'd look at another boat. No offence to the wakeworld regulars but they are way to spoiled. I weigh 200 pounds and board at 20 mph which is a tough speed to hold and my wife does great. I say try it out and see what you think first.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-17-2003, 6:43 PM Reply   
How does pp work in the river considering the currents?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-17-2003, 6:49 PM Reply   
Works great - the paddle wheel measures the speed of the boat relative to the water.
Old    phimple            02-18-2003, 12:57 AM Reply   
Ok Perfect Pass People....

Is it worth the extra money to get the Wakeboard Pro model or will the Wakeboard cruise model work just as well without the extra frills?

Is it true that the paddle wheel is the way to go over the RPM for wakeboarding?

Thoughts please...
Old    mi8079            02-18-2003, 5:26 AM Reply   
All you need is a model that holds the boat at a desired speed. You will quickly get to know your boat and how to adjust the speed by RPM/feel. The benefit of having a deluxe model is if you move from one boat to another. But remember that the other boats need to have the same deluxe model cruise control.
Old     (ssg)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-18-2003, 6:49 AM Reply   
Linda,

I couldn't help noticing your profile pic...You better get it!
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-18-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   
Ah, so PP not only controls the speed, it also guarantees you won't wipe out?
Old     (ssg)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-18-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
It was meant with pure humor in mind I assure you!
Old    ffejtable            02-18-2003, 10:20 AM Reply   
I have an 18' IO that is terrible at holding speed. Even with perfect pass its a little slow to respond to speed adjustment, but its far better than doing it manually. I think a tourny boat without PP would hold speed better than my IO with PP.

Anyhow few would argue that PP isnt worth every penny.

I would definately go with the speed based model (wakeboard cruise or better).

Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-18-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
randall knutson-

what?

(Message edited by s4inor on February 18, 2003)
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-18-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
randall wrote:
"All you need is a model that holds the boat at a desired speed. You will quickly get to know your boat and how to adjust the speed by RPM/feel. "

This works well at skiing speeds, but not at wakeboard speeds, especially at the lower end of the range. The reason the wake is so big is because the boat is forcing its way through the water in a semi-displacement mode. It is unstable in this mode, and the boat speed can change dramatically while the RPM stays constant.

If you want it for wakeboarding, get a speed control with the paddle wheel speed sensor.

Rod McInnis
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-18-2003, 8:03 PM Reply   
Phimple get the Pro is my opinion. It gives you the option to adjust the rate at whick the throttle accelerates (this is required when adding alot of weight) and this is in addition to all the other goodies like volts, tach, speed setting, speed, water temp, hours...
Old     (supraboarder03)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-18-2003, 9:09 PM Reply   
i agree with bob.the pp pro is the only way to go. when my boat has 4-5 people and full ballast(3500-4000lbs.) the speed cannot be held manually within 2mph but with perfect pass on not only is the speed consistant but it makes driving doubleups a breeze.
Old    barryb            02-21-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
I had a Moomba Mobius and it HAD to have speed based to work right. The same RPM could be either on plane or off and was at two different speeds.
I had a Tige 21V and RPM based worked perfectly on it.
You won't know on your boat until you try it.

Oh yeah, and to answer your original question -- just get one.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-22-2003, 12:24 AM Reply   
Ok, but the dang things are expensive, where is the best place to get one?