Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-17-2008, 6:22 AM Reply   
Maybe some body can help me out here. I received a letter in the mail stating I owe a NC use tax at the rate of 3%. When I bought the boat almost 3 yearts ago I bought it in Tennessee from a dealer and there was no sales tax. I brought the boat home registered the boat got my trailor tages and ever thing. I asked the dealer that registered the boat here in NC about paying taxes and they told there weren't any. Now over 2 years later I get a letter from Department of Revenue stating I owe 1,130.00 because of penalties for not pay my taxes!!!!!!(right before christmas) Can I fight this or am I just Sh*% out of luck.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-17-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
SOL, and for gods sake if you do fight it, don't write them a letter.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-17-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
Why not?
Old    pdxWAKE.com            11-17-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
I think you are SOL. If you would have registered your boat in TN and then moved it you would be fine, but it goes by where you register your boat. The sales guy should have known that, but good luck getting them to step up and help you...
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-17-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
same in canada if i buy a boat in a different province.... i pay the applicable sales tax in the province i am registering the boat.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-17-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
I just talked to the Department of Revenue Apparently the wildlife service just updated them on who registered a boat from out of state. So since never received any information that I needed to pay the tax I can get all my penalties waved, also I got 3000 taken of the overall purchase price because I already pay taxes for the trailor. Now I only need to pay alittle over 630 in taxes much better. All I have to do is send a LETTER in with the check asking to wave the penalties.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-17-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
We also live in NC and bought a used boat last year in TN. We found out that if sale goes though a dealership, then you owe taxes. If the sale is from an individual, you owe no taxes! We didn't find this out until after we purchased the boat, but good to know for next time.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-17-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
Here in San Diego County, we have a tax (heard it called a luxury tax), through the county property tax office. Boats, motorhomes, etc. Has nothing to do with sales tax. Goes by a percentage of the boat's value. Mine runs me about $460/year. No way around it. Yep, I got 3 years behind on paying. Taking care of it, but they had DMV put a hold on boat registration sticker.

They will get our money one way or another.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-17-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
No tax like that in NC, just a one time luxury tax when you purchase a boat. I thought we were safe by going out of state, but the dealer clause got me!
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-17-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
Robert, actually in NC we do have that tax. I know that Mecklenburg/Lincoln County (LKN) have this tax. We are taxed every year on owning the boat.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-17-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
We have the same tax here in NorCal, called "unsecured property tax" WTF!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-17-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
Not me Matt, I paid a one time 3%, up to $1500, sales tax. In SC, it's a flat $300.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-18-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
"Robert, actually in NC we do have that tax. I know that Mecklenburg/Lincoln County (LKN) have this tax. We are taxed every year on owning the boat."

I think that it is a county by county thing... When we kept our boat in Wake county we paid property tax on it every year just like our cars... Now that the boat lives in Person county, I don't think that I have gotten a bill for that yet...