Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-25-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
I broke and dislocated my ankle while snow skiing on Jan. 31st. I had surgery to put a plate and 5 screws in. I am very anxious to wakesurf again. My Dr. seems to think I will be surfing by summer. Has anyone ever broken their fibula and or dislocated the ankle joint? I have a cast on now and can't walk on it for another 4 weeks or so.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-25-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
My buddy was wakeskating in his cast when he broke his ankle last summer.....so I would say as soon as you can bear weight with minimal pain.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-25-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
Wow deepcove I don't think I am quite as crazy as your buddy! I do want to ride as soon as I can though.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-26-2010, 12:27 AM Reply   
Depends on how much movement you need. For me in soccer if I decide to get my ankle cleaned, it could take 4-6 months before I'm going full tilt again. Range of motion and stability is everything. For wakesurfing, you may be able to get back to it pretty quick if you build up the stabilizing muscles. You could be doing basic stuff maybe a month after the doc clears you... but who knows, it is different for everyone.

Overall, I've had two ankle surgeries. One to put in two screws when I broke it, and one to clean up some spurring after that. I found that the recovery time is pretty similar for both, once the doc clears you.

The ankle is a PITA to rehab. The biggest thing you'll find is getting the range back is a slow process. But stick with the rehab and you'll do just fine.

(Message edited by taft on February 26, 2010)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-26-2010, 7:23 AM Reply   
Your ankle is going to get cold faster as those nice little titanium pieces transfer the temperature fast. Most will depend on the strength and ligament damage. Bones heal but the dislocation might take longer.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-26-2010, 7:53 AM Reply   
The Fibula only holds 15% of the weight while standing. So fortunately the fibula usually heals up fairly quickly. The ankle dislocation will be the challenging part. Once you are able to fully weight bear on it and regain enough motion and strength to be able to do a fairly deep squat (the position you start in to get up on a surfboard) you should be good to go. The exercise (range of motion, strength, balance, proprioception) you get while surfing is good rehab. Get a good Physical Therapist and tell him what your goals are. He/She can help you through the process and let you know when you are ready to hit the wave again. I would not plan on getting in any kind of wakeboard or ski boot for awhile though. It would probably send you through the roof just trying to squeeze in/out of them. Good luck!
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-26-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! bigcatpt I totally agree with getting a good PT. I have one I seem to go to on a fairly regular basis. He has helped me though a lot of sports injuries. He own's his own business and has a picture of me wakesurfing on what he calls his wall of fame. He posts pics of clients who did rehab with him and were able to go back to their sport. You guys do amazing work!

Andrew- I think your right. I probably won't be trying to spin 360's for a while. Just being able to ride will feel sooooo good!

Art - good point about the titanium plate causing my ankle to be cold. Maybe I should wear a wetsuit or drysuit longer into the season than I normally would.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-26-2010, 8:20 AM Reply   
Glad you have a good PT to help you through the process! You will be just fine! I think the "wall of fame" is the most important wall in any PT office! We are proud of our successful patients!
Old     (mcb611)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-02-2010, 7:27 PM Reply   
as soon as you can stand it...or until you cant stand to be out of the water
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-03-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
Good news! I went to the Dr. today and he said in 2 weeks he will cut the cast off. Then I will have a walking boot and start physical therapy. I can't wait.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-05-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
If you live in the Portland , OR. area..... NEVER! No wakes in Portland. We have to save the smooth water for the Kayakers now.