Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-28-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
I need to split my PCM transmission from the motor to replace a defective input shaft seal on the trans. Question, do I split
a)the transmission from the bellhousing
or
b)the bellhousing and trans as a single unit from the motor?

Thanks for the help
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-28-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
tranny from the bellhousing.

Disconnect your shaft, remove the rear engine mount bolts, loosen the front engine mounts. Use a bottle jack or two under the exhaust manifolds to left that end of the engine up. remove the tranny.

Check your input shaft for pits. if pitted (most likely). Buy a "speedy sleave" and install before you put on the new seal
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-28-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
thanks for the prompt response. My guess is the the shaft will be pitted given the amount of oil leaking. Unfortunately I need to gain access to the input shaft to size it up (before I buy the speedi sleeve) unless of course you know the size off the top of your head?!? I'll drop the trans out at the weekend and order the speedi sleeve on Monday. Wish me luck!!
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-28-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
thanks for the prompt response. My guess is the the shaft will be pitted given the amount of oil leaking. Unfortunately I need to gain access to the input shaft to size it up (before I buy the speedi sleeve) unless of course you know the size off the top of your head?!? I'll drop the trans out at the weekend and order the speedi sleeve on Monday. Wish me luck!!
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-28-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
I just went through the same thing with my 91 nautique. i ended up pulling the motor since it was easy to do and no realigning shafts. the easiest way to pull that seal is to just pull the front pump housing with the 4 bolts and tap on it with a hammer to rotate it out. once its out its much easer to work on the pitted or rusted shaft use a file and light emery cloth to polish as best you can.
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-29-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
I stripped the trans. out after work today. Turns out one of the O-rings on the pump cover had failed hence the leak. The input shaft did have a groove on it although it wan't leaking so I just fitted the new O-ring a little deeper. Job done in less than 2 hrs too!