Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    crollg            08-04-2005, 1:40 PM Reply   
Anyone have suggestions for weighting an MC X2 so that the wake is clean at speeds around 16-20 for beginners like myself. My experience so far is the wake only gets clean above 20 mph. Some weight (250lbs) in the front seems to help but does not really get the wake clean.

Thanks in advance

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-04-2005, 1:43 PM Reply   
16-20 is pretty slow. I'd stay to at least 18+. Make sure to try leaving the ballast drained, too. At that speed you shouldn't need extra weight, although adding some to the nose may make it stay on plane better.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-04-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
Speed up. Learning at that slow of a speed might hinder you rather than help you. You will experience a lot more drag, and the board won't respond like it should.
Old    crollg            08-04-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies

I am quickly learning to ride at the higher speeds but my wife and several friends who have been riding for several years prefer the slower speed so any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks again
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2005, 2:13 PM Reply   
I guess if you are not ready to go 20+,you are not ready to jump....don't worry about the wake for now.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-04-2005, 2:28 PM Reply   
I agree
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2005, 2:33 PM Reply   
Not sure you can get it clean at that slow speed. We tried once when pulling a friend trick skiing, but coulnd't get it clean. I think you need a direct drive for those speeds.

The falls will not be that different at 20+ than at 16, so speeding up is probably your best bet...
Old    crollg            08-04-2005, 3:21 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input. Guess I will be "getting up to speed" literally.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-04-2005, 4:02 PM Reply   
I agree riding at slower speeds causes more drag (you will work harder and get tired faster) and the board may not perform as it would at higher speeds but only go as fast as your comfortable with. The "poor technique" you may learn if any can quickly be overcome with time and proper instuction. ALSO: SHORTEN THE ROPE!! With the proper rope length, speed and weight distribution you should be able find a clean spot. If you have a lot of people drain the ballast and put a few people up front. Try going 18 }with ~55 ft line.
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       08-04-2005, 6:42 PM Reply   
I go 18 on a shorter line when trying new tricks with my x2 and the wake is STEEP! When doing wake to wake tricks i found that around 21+ the wake is alot narrower and easier to clear. Also check ur prop, mine had a few dents and the wake didn't clean up at slower speeds
Old    jayp            08-04-2005, 8:41 PM Reply   
We ride at about 22/23 70 ft rope. We tried going slower but it didn't work out as well and now we are used to going faster.

I agree that the falls are about the same.

We have 400 lbs on each side of the motor, 350 in the ski locker, and a 450lb sack in the bow. The wake is perfect. The shape is excellent. Big enough for us. 1600 lbs + people.

You really need to go faster to get a good X-2 wake.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
I ride at 23.5 at 70 feet. That just feels comfortable to me and the wake is very crisp.